Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Why is there a hole in the side of the stock air filter box after the filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 09:06 PM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is there a hole in the side of the stock air filter box after the filter?

Does anybody know why is there a hole in the side of the stock air filter box after the filter? It is about 1 1/4" in dia and it is on the passenger side of the inner filter housing. It doesn't make sense to have a hole there after the filter? I have a 02 Z06 all stock with 3700 miles on it. I took the air box out today to put in a K& N air filter kit. Has mine been tampered with? Help! :confused: :confused: :confused: :seeya
Old 03-09-2003, 09:20 PM
av8or3
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Why is there a hole in the side of the stock air filter box after the filter? (fredfryguy)

I just checked mine and there is a hole that size on the drivers side (after
the filter) for the fresh air pick-up for the air injection pump. But nothing
on the pass side. Don't know? :confused:
Old 03-10-2003, 09:17 AM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Default Re: Why is there a hole in the side of the stock air filter box after the filter? (av8or3)

:confused: :confused: :confused: Com'on motorheads, what is the story!! :D :D :cheers: :smash: :smash:
Old 03-10-2003, 12:19 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Why is there a hole in the side of the stock air filter box after the filter? (fredfryguy)

I have had my airbox out before. Thre is only one hole. It should have a hose stuck in it. It is the air pickup for the A.I.R. pump. But, it is on the driver side....
Old 03-10-2003, 04:02 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it a nice clean hole like the one on the driver's side for the air pump or does it look drilled? Any way tape it up and DRIVE!!!
Old 03-10-2003, 04:48 PM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Default Re: Why is there a hole in the side of the stock air filter box after the filter? (J-Rod)

Sorry, The hole is on the left or drivers side of the air box and it is a 02 Z06. Should it be taped up??I can't find any loose hoses? Still puzzleing! :confused: :confused: :confused: :D :D :D :cheers:
Old 03-10-2003, 10:39 PM
GasmanZR1
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=76&TopicID=1

Check out the above link to the installation of the Blackwing. In some of the pictures, it shows the rubber hose that should be attached to the airbox. Hope this helps.

Michael
Old 03-10-2003, 10:56 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Are you talking about the hole in the area of the red arrow in this pic?

Old 03-11-2003, 10:25 AM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Default Re: Why is there a hole in the side of the stock air filter box after the filter? (rbartick)

rbartick, Yes it along the side of the filter housing behind the filter. Unfiltered air must be drawn in there!?Your picture looks like it has a hose going close to the position of the hole I'm questioning?What's that for? Fred :confused: :confused: :smash: :smash: :cheers: :flag
Old 03-11-2003, 10:41 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

That is the air pump (smog pump) inlet. The air pump uses that hose to draw fresh air from the airbox. The air is then injected into the exhaust.

You should have the same hose setup going from the air pump to the driver side of the airbox. The air pump is located under the nose of the car on the driver side. To see the pump you have to pull one of the lower covers under the car.

Hose going to air pump in this picture:

Click picture for a larger view

Air pump here next to PIAA foglight. You can see the hose coming out of the air pump.

Click picture for a larger view

[Modified by rbartick, 10:50 AM 3/11/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 02:41 PM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Default Re: Why is there a hole in the side of the stock air filter box after the filter? (rbartick)

rbartick, Thanks to you I located the loose air hose and put in the described mystery hole! This whole series of posted has help me tremendously! This forum does what it was intended to do! Thanks, Everone! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :party: :party: :party:
Old 03-11-2003, 02:49 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

:cool: :thumbs:
Old 03-11-2003, 02:56 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Glad to see we helped. That is what we are here for.

You should have a rubber grommet in the airbox hole and a 90 degree plastic elbow connects the grommet to the hose. The hose connection should be very secure.

[Modified by rbartick, 3:02 PM 3/11/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 05:30 PM
fredfryguy
Instructor

That's exaxtly what I found! I put a little soap on the elbow after I put the rubber grommet in the hole and she slid right in! Thanks again. Fred :cool: :D :cheers:
Old 03-11-2003, 10:53 PM
FLYNLO
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job, rbartick!!!!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 03-13-2003, 06:24 PM
70boss302
8th Gear

Default Re: Why is there a hole in the side of the stock air filter box after the filter? (FLYNLO)

WTG rbartick, nice work helping out a fellow vetter! :cool: Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Why is there a hole in the side of the stock air filter box after the filter?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Why is there a hole in the side of the stock air filter box after the filter?