[Z06] WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 02:17 AM
supra300z06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6

hI,

iM Looking to get a air intake sysyem for the 2002 z06. I want to get the VR-1B RAM AIR SYSTEM from Vararam.com Whats the best air filter for this? Im looking for good low end power and mid range. I want to get the torquemaster filTER for the vr-1B . ANYONE thats has this install please give me some info about it. Does it really make that much of a difference? How much rwhp and torque as been gain from this? Also when installing this system do you keep the z06 screens in the front?? Thanks.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:08 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Re: WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6 (supra300z06)

The only question I can answer, is YES you do keep the screens on the front. I have the Halltech carbon fiber, probably doesn't make any more HP than any other good cold air intake, but it sure does look :cool:
Old 02-06-2003, 07:49 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

YES YES YES YES!!! Get the vararam! When my car was still stock, with vararam and a cat back, i'd have 3 to 4 mph then the next quickest vette in the quater mile. The thing really does work. Yes, all your screens will be retained plus, under the hood it looks nice, and factory. GET IT. Filter comes with it. Call there and ask for patrick,...he's very cool and really helpful. Ask him about the bellow that he was designing for it,...it might not be in production yet but, if it is, grab it. If it isn't,..find out when. The vararam is a really nice piece. Just looking at it, you know it's a true performance piece. :steering:
Old 02-06-2003, 08:12 AM
TLM
Instructor

Default Re: WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6 (rythem)

YES YES YES YES!!! Get the vararam! When my car was still stock, with vararam and a cat back, i'd have 3 to 4 mph then the next quickest vette in the quater mile. The thing really does work. Yes, all your screens will be retained plus, under the hood it looks nice, and factory. GET IT. Filter comes with it. Call there and ask for patrick,...he's very cool and really helpful. Ask him about the bellow that he was designing for it,...it might not be in production yet but, if it is, grab it. If it isn't,..find out when. The vararam is a really nice piece. Just looking at it, you know it's a true performance piece. :steering:
Whats a bellow?

:confused:
Old 02-06-2003, 12:16 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Default Re: WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6 (TLM)

air boot/bellow between mass air and throttle body.... :banghead:
Old 02-06-2003, 12:34 PM
IT L GO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:iagree: Exit28 has them on sale for 399.00 with free shipping
Old 02-06-2003, 12:37 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Default Re: WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6 (TLM)

Whats a bellow?
:confused:
I think he meant the airbridge that runs from the TB to the MAF.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:45 PM
sbmrinaldi
Pro

I am going to try the Vortex Rammer. I had the Blackwing, and have been pleased with the outcome, but now am going to try the Vortex. I have talked to people that just test these and from what I am told the Rammer performs the best. I personally have no backup for this, just going on research that I have done. The people I have talked to sell many types of intakes in all price ranges, but say the numbers are there to support the Vortex. I would love to try the Vararam. I have debated twice on buying it. If you get it, please post your opinion.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:53 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Default Re: WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6 (sbmrinaldi)

No offense to the RAMMER, or any other piece for that matter, they ALL perform. I'm not commissioned by VARARAM or anybody but,....from what I have seen, in the real world(track testing), I have never seen another air intake system out perform a vararam on the track,..as a matter of fact I have seen on average 3mph faster in the quarter with a vararam equipped car. The proof is in the numbers and in the design. I just installed a breathless rammer on my friends c5,...it looks good, and it does work, and it might perform even better on the dyno then the vararam does but, I'd be willing to bet that at speed, the vararam really outperforms everything... I have yet to see people getting the mph outta there cars that I was when it was stock(and vararamequipped). Just look at the setup,...it uses the factory intake ducts(as you know) and requires no cutting. I had to cut my friends radiator shroud to get the breathless piece in there. Plus, the vararam really looks factory. Again, not dissing anyones product, just calling it how I see it.

[Modified by rythem, 2:21 PM 2/7/2003]
Old 02-07-2003, 07:57 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Not to mention, traveling at speed the air hits the FRONT of the car first(duh) which is where the intake tracks for the vararam are,...the breathless piece takes air from UNDERNEATH. It is NOT a direct path. :p:
Old 02-07-2003, 04:59 PM
ruking1
Burning Brakes

This is not to knock the plethora of fine air intake systems for the Z06, but the best might be the stock system with the stock air filter cover (water and snow prophalactic) cut or trimmed away. Some on have even taken to running the stock air filter and oem filter holder using the banding mounts secured with cable ties.(which is essentially what a BlackWing does)

I personally want the water and snow prophalactic function and the best particulate filter. So I have gotten the stock 2002 air filter cover and the AC Delco 917c air filter.

It might be be easier to visualize a lot of this by putting some numbers to variables. My guess is that the stock intake system unrestricted flows MAX 1050 cfm. So as long as it gets the full 1050 cpm that is about topped out.

Nothing short of radically colder air (in increments of 10 degrees cooler, denser), short of a super charged air system or a nitros system can do much better. The filter probably adds some drag or inefficiency but not much. Finally we know by process of elimination that a "stock" restrictive air filter housing restricts from 10-22 hp or 2.5 to 6%. So the performance cost of the snow and rain prophalatic is the above hp and %. The easiest and most cost effective way to go is to remove the restrictive air filter housing. While using the stock air filter and filter frame.

[Modified by ruking1, 3:04 PM 2/9/2003]
Old 02-08-2003, 12:48 AM
BlueThunderousZ06
Racer

I understand that Vararam is the better performance intake system, but which system actually filters the best?
Old 02-08-2003, 03:53 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6 (WaveHog)

I understand that Vararam is the better performance intake system, but which system actually filters the best?
Stock paper filters filter the best, if you flow more air with a high perf air filter you are going to get more particles. Now, there is much debate on wether this makes any difference or not. Your DIC does not know that you have a high perf air filter, so you may want to change oil a little sooner than the DIC advises, or just change the oil filter sooner.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:48 AM
ZO6DUST
Advanced

Default Re: WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6 (CPT Z06)

I have the Vararam, and it was the only mod (at the time) when I dyno'd an additional 11 rwhp. Thats significant. The race filter is a paper thin grey foam filter-lets air travel very easily.

If I had to do it all over again, I would consider drilling severl large and small circular holes into the stock airbox and swap for a K & N filter. You will pick up the same gain.

Jason
Old 02-08-2003, 02:47 PM
LingenfelterC5
Instructor

Default Re: WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6 (ZO6DUST)

I bought the Vararam and the Vortex Rammer with coupler... I still haven’t taken the car to the track after these mods, but the results are incredibly noticeable.. I think that with this intake, I can drop .5 seconds in 1/4 mile
Old 02-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

as a matter of fact I have seen on average 3mph faster in the quarter with a vararam equipped car.
Over a stock intake maybe, but not over an aftermarket intake such as a Rammer......plus, trap speeds are very subjective, there's alot of factors that go into producing good trap speeds.....

Case in point, this guy ran 118 MPH trap speeds with a stock Z06.... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=480508

and this guy ran 118 MPH trap speeds with a Vararam... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=435559

Old 02-09-2003, 03:53 AM
ZO6 BOY
Advanced

Default Re: WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6 (Z06 Quin)

I love the Vararam! I could tell a big difference in the car after I put it on. I think this is the best way to go for the money.

Get notified of new replies

To WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6

Old 02-09-2003, 04:06 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

as a matter of fact I have seen on average 3mph faster in the quarter with a vararam equipped car.

Over a stock intake maybe, but not over an aftermarket intake such as a Rammer......plus, trap speeds are very subjective, there's alot of factors that go into producing good trap speeds.....

Case in point, this guy ran 118 MPH trap speeds with a stock Z06.... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=480508

and this guy ran 118 MPH trap speeds with a Vararam... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=435559
:iagree:
Food for Thought. Breathless has a $80 high flow filter that bolts directly to the MAF. It looks a lot like the ones that came on the first Halltechs. The cool air will get to it. Then get an air bridge of your choice.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:29 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Case in point,
Are you trying to compare traps done by two different cars on two different days, possibly on two different tracks. :nonod:

That is not a good point.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

Default Re: WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6 (rbartick)

Case in point,

Are you trying to compare traps done by two different cars on two different days, possibly on two different tracks. :nonod:

That is not a good point.
these were done on the same track, and in similar conditions...

Quick Reply: [Z06] WHATS THE BEST AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR THE ZO6