Sponsored by:

[Z06] Drag racing question regarding shift points

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 09:03 AM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Drag racing question regarding shift points

I am wondering if I could improve the track times by shifting into 2nd at 6000 rpms rather than at redline. I asked this because it seems I always have some severe wheel hop going into 2nd and was wondering if I could eliminate this by shifting at 6k. How much ET do you think I am losing with having severe wheel hop going into 2nd. I would appreciate anybody shift points they are using on stock tires

[Modified by Y2K253SS, 8:04 AM 11/4/2002]
Old 11-04-2002, 09:11 PM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Drag racing question regarding shift points (Y2K253SS)

Um. anybody????
Old 11-04-2002, 09:41 PM
The One
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short-shifting seemed to help JWSchmidt3 with his wheel hop issues: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=426468

JC
Old 11-05-2002, 01:53 PM
Power Shifter
Melting Slicks

I am wondering if I could improve the track times by shifting into 2nd at 6000 rpms rather than at redline. I asked this because it seems I always have some severe wheel hop going into 2nd and was wondering if I could eliminate this by shifting at 6k. How much ET do you think I am losing with having severe wheel hop going into 2nd. I would appreciate anybody shift points they are using on stock tires

[Modified by Y2K253SS, 8:04 AM 11/4/2002]
I shift 1-2 @6250 2-3@6250 3-4@6300 depending on how the car feels that day. Witch red line are you shifting at? the first thin red line or higher? Ric
Old 11-07-2002, 03:21 AM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Drag racing question regarding shift points (Power Shifter)

I can't remember by the redlines you are referring to. I usually shift when i see the needle between the 6000 mark and the thick red line
Old 11-07-2002, 03:58 AM
z0sense
Drifting

There is 500 RPM between what you are talking about.

I had sever wheel hop issues.....get more traction.

Did you lower your car? That is normally where the problem comes in, and you could lose a good .2 sec from wheel hop depending on severity!
Old 11-07-2002, 09:32 AM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Drag racing question regarding shift points (z0sense)

Short shifting cost me time. About .3seconds and 3 mph.

I shift at 6200 - 6300. The rev limiter is at 6600. I carry 3rd as far as I can, and this seems to net me my best times.

I haven't seen any wheelhop after I lowered the car, as it seems to reduce the rear spring rate a bit.

The only times I have ever gotten wheelhop is on the cheesy asphaly outside of HRP. I can go out there in the street and get wheelhop if I side step th clutch. Before I lowered the car it seemed a bit worse. Lowering the car seem to soften it a bit.

But, I haven't had any real problems, as long as the car hooks, which it always seems to do. I have only seen wheelhop in htese cars when wheelspin is involved. If tires aren't spinning, they aren't hopping either.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:00 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Drag racing question regarding shift points (J-Rod)

So the verdict is to short shift the 1-2 shift at about 6000-6100 rpms, shift 2-3 around 6300rpm, and go full fledged on the 3-4 shift?

Old 11-08-2002, 12:34 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 407 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Re: Drag racing question regarding shift points (Ryan Bell)

That doesn't sound like a verdict to me. There is no reason to short shift at all unless you're powershifting. If you're lift-shifting,might as well take it higher...you don't need the 200 rpm "cushion" to allow for the brief climb in revs during a powershift. And even then, 6000 seems a little low.

I think the verdict is 6200-6300 for 2nd and 3rd gears shifts, and 6400+ for the shift to 4th.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:26 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Drag racing question regarding shift points (Tracy)

Nope, the verdict is to get as many RPMs as you can without hitting the limiter.

The motor makes power to 6800, so shifting at 600-6100 is too low. I'd shoot for about 6300-6400 on every shift.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:53 PM
Power Shifter
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Drag racing question regarding shift points (J-Rod)

The verdict should be to do what works best for you in your own car. I think trying to get a difinative answer to what's best is futile. My car's best way changes with weather and track conditions and so does yours!! I make a guess on launch rpm the first run and adjust from there. The shift point that most often gives the best et's IS 6250 with power shifts, most of the time ANY THING over 6300 on any power shift has yealded slower et's. Yes if you want to push 3-4 to a higher rpm it may yeald more mph but in my car it usualy costs et to do it. Any one that says there power shifting at 6500 without touching the limeter needs better glasses to read there tach, because it isen't reading 6500, and power shifting at 6400 costs et in my car as a general rule. Shifting at 62-6300 is not short shifting IMO it's the BEST SHIFT POINT for quick runs, in my car, and probably yours if you power shift. Ric
Old 11-08-2002, 05:09 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm with Ric on this one. Find what works best on your car for your style of driving and then stock with it. This will vary from car to car & driver to driver.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:13 PM
JWSchmidt3
Race Director

Default Re: Drag racing question regarding shift points (rbartick)

I'm with Ric on this one. Find what works best on your car for your style of driving and then stock with it. This will vary from car to car & driver to driver.
:yesnod: :yesnod:

You have to be flexible to race cars, it goes with the territory. :cheers:
Old 11-08-2002, 05:37 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

What consistently works best for me is to shift at the highest possible rpm without kissing the limiter. I do this to put the engine rpm after the shift at about 4500, where the Tric is producing a +9 rwtq advantage (dyno measured) compared to the stock air box.

I rarely kiss the limiter, perhaps one run out of 15.

When I shift lower, my ETs suffer.

Obviously, you need a fast clutch foot to do this...just one of the reasons I pump iron. ;)
The speed of a shift really is limited by the speed of the leg which must move in two directions. In contrast, the arm moves in only one direction.

I'm running the stock shifter.

Ranger
Old 11-08-2002, 05:58 PM
Power Shifter
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Drag racing question regarding shift points (Ranger)

What consistently works best for me is to shift at the highest possible rpm without kissing the limiter. I do this to put the engine rpm after the shift at about 4500, where the Tric is producing a +9 rwtq advantage (dyno measured) compared to the stock air box.

I rarely kiss the limiter, perhaps one run out of 15.

When I shift lower, my ETs suffer.

Obviously, you need a fast clutch foot to do this...just one of the reasons I pump iron. ;)
The speed of a shift really is limited by the speed of the leg which must move in two directions. In contrast, the arm moves in only one direction.

I'm running the stock shifter.

Ranger
Ranger, So What is the "highest possible rpm" you shift at? and on witch shifts? Assuming the "thin"red line is at 6500 and solid red area is 6600 in your Z06, as it is in mine. At what point in the clutch travel do you begin to move the shifter? I ask, because your talking about the in and out with the clutch, limiteing speed of shift?. and last but not least, are your recomendations for full on power shifts, or some thing else? Thanks in advance for your answers if you choose to give them. Ric
Old 11-08-2002, 07:07 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

...I ask, because your talking about the in and out with the clutch, limiteing speed of shift?. and last but not least, are your recomendations for full on power shifts, or some thing else?...
Hey Ric,

During a shift, the clutch leg must depress the clutch and then release it. That entails movement in two opposite directions. The elapsed time of that movement will alway be longer than the time required to slam the shifting arm in only one direction per shift, a movement that is futher assisted by the momentum of torso for those who practice "violent shifting." Movement of the throttle foot, if any, is much shorter and therefore quicker. And, while the movements of these three limbs must be coordinated, the clutch leg will (always) be the slowest.

Regarding my powershifting, it all depends on the hook of the track on any particular day/pass. Some days the hook is great and sometimes it just won't take strong shifts to 2d and 3d. I normally powershift the 3d-4th.

I certainly don't recommend powershifting across the board. Each driver needs to do his/her own "risk vs reward" analysis. Assuming the track has the hook to sustain powershifts, which some rarely do and none do all the time, then is shaving a couple tenths in the 1320' ET worth the risk of damage to the tranny??

For myself, if I find great track conditions and great air this Fall and have a shot at a pass in the 11.5s, then I'll powershift all the gear changes and see what happens.

Ranger

[Modified by Ranger, 6:15 PM 11/8/2002]
Old 11-08-2002, 07:26 PM
Power Shifter
Melting Slicks

...I ask, because your talking about the in and out with the clutch, limiteing speed of shift?. and last but not least, are your recomendations for full on power shifts, or some thing else?...

Hey Ric,

During a shift, the clutch leg must depress the clutch and then release it. That entails movement in two opposite directions. The elapsed time of that movement will alway be longer than the time required to slam the shifting arm in only one direction per shift, a movement that is futher assisted by the momentum of torso for those who practice "violent shifting." Movement of the throttle foot, if any, is much shorter and therefore quicker. And, while the movements of these three limbs must be coordinated, the clutch leg will (always) be the slowest.

Regarding my powershifting, it all depends on the hook of the track on any particular day/pass. Some days the hook is great and sometimes it just won't take strong shifts to 2d and 3d. I normally powershift the 3d-4th.

I certainly don't recommend powershifting across the board. Each driver needs to do his/her own "risk vs reward" analysis. Assuming the track has the hook to sustain powershifts, which some never do and none do all the time, then is shaving a couple tenths in the 1320' ET worth the risk of damage to the tranny??

For myself, if I find great track conditions and great air this Fall and have a shot at a pass in the 11.5s, then I'll powershift all the gear changes and see what happens.

Ranger
So your NOT power shifting 1-2 and 2-3 so that's why you say you can get "as close to red line as possible"? what rpm are you recomending since that's the original question for the thread. You say you are power shifting 3-4 with out any lift at "as close to red line" as possible? At what rpm are you makeing this shift?. If you have any lift I allway's called it a speed shift, power shifts are with no lift... So will you tell me the rpm your shifting at 1-2, 2-3, 3-4? and speed shifts or power shifts by the definition I am useing? Thanks again for shareing, Ric

Get notified of new replies

To Drag racing question regarding shift points

Old 11-08-2002, 07:55 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I said in my earlier post what I try to do, which is to shift as close to the limiter as I can without kissing it. Sometime before the end of the season, I'll try to hook up some data capture hardware and measure my actual shift points. If I get that done, I'll post the results in a spread sheet for multiple runs. Nothing beats real data.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:20 PM
Power Shifter
Melting Slicks

I said in my earlier post what I try to do, which is to shift as close to the limiter as I can without kissing it. Sometime before the end of the season, I'll try to hook up some data capture hardware and measure my actual shift points. If I get that done, I'll post the results in a spread sheet for multiple runs. Nothing beats real data.
Acthualy for me your just giveing a straight answer to what RPM your tach is reading at the shift points would have been good. But if you don't want to or can't answer that question straight up with the read out from your tach for some reason your entitled to not answer. As close to the limiter as you can is not very illuminating. For refrence the thin red is at 6500 and the solid red area starts at 6600. So it is marked 6000 I I I I thine red, if that helps. Ric
Old 11-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Ric, I really don't want to see this thread degenerate into endless nitpicking. I said what I have to say that is useful. What I do seems to work for me. I have posted my target shiftpoints before, only to have you write that they are not accurate. No good purpose is served by going there again.

I wish you well and good luck at the track this weekend. Hope the weather is good to you. :)

Ranger

[Modified by Ranger, 7:49 PM 11/8/2002]

Quick Reply: [Z06] Drag racing question regarding shift points