Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] My experiences with drag racing my Z06... Going from 12.7 to 11.933

Old 10-29-2002, 02:52 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default My experiences with drag racing my Z06... Going from 12.7 to 11.933

Since folks are always asking about drag racing a Z06, and how it runs, and what to expect. I decided to put together a group of my posts that cover my own experience with my 2002 Z06. Hopefully this will answer some of the questions that seem to pop up regularly.

As soon as I can get my clutch issue squared way, I hope to get into the 11.80s now that the weather is turning cooler.

In just about any conditions a Z06 can run in the lows 12s with no sweat. In my first trip to the track I went a 12.7.

My car was dyno'd with 1100 mile son it at MTI it dyno'd 358 corrected HP. I have made 4 dyno pulls on the car two pulls on two separate occasions. The highest corrected number was 359 and the lowest was 357. So, my car isn't some factory ringer. It makes the same number everyone elses does.

Anyway, here is a logbook of my passes in my car. From the first to the fastest...

Here is a copy of my first post on the car.

------
First Pass
I took my '02 Z06 to Houston Raceway Park to put some initial baseline passes last night. I picked it up Saturday, and had put 1100 miles on the car and made the first oil change, so I felt now was the time to go make the first shakedown pass. Due to oil downs and an emergency page from work I was only able to make one pass. But I was impressed.

The Z06 to me did not feel as fast as the clock showed when I picked up my timeslip. I think this is because the power comes on very smoothly and across more of the band than other small block cars I have driven. After just playing around on the street I figured the car to be a 12.90/107-108 ride bone stock, just by the seat of the pants feel.

I had driven a 98 Z28 with 400 miles on it (back in 98) and it went 13.09/107 bone stock. I was impressed then by the way the LS1 revved. The Z06 felt faster, but I wasn't sure how much. I went conservative on the first pass and left at 1100-1200 rpm since I didn't know how the car was going to hook on the stock radials.

I was racing a 2000 6speed TransAm on gas. My car bogged coming out of the hole since I left so easy, and the TransAM totally killed me. He missed third gear, and I was able to make up some ground, and he ended up beating me by about 2 car lengths.

When I picked up my timeslip I was fairly amazed. While it is obvious that there is a lot of room for improvement, as evidenced by some of ya'lls times, I felt alot better about the purchase of the Z after this.

3/OCT/2001

60' ... 2.159
330 ... 5.610
1/8 ... 8.355
MPH ... 90.69
1000 ... 10.716
1/4 ... 12.716
MPH ... 111.41

Just in looking at the 60' times. I feel confident that I can get the car to a 1.8 - 1.9 60' time. Which would indicate to me that the car should go 12.20-12.30 bone stock. I am sure that there is some more time once I get a better feel for the shift points. The car seems to pull all the way to the rev limiter. I found last night playing around on the street that it was real easy to bump into the rev limiter.

All in all though, I am fairly pleased with what I have seen so far.

10-04-2001 09:54 PM

----------------------------

Here is my second trip to the track about a week later. It was hot outside, but I am also still getting a feel for the car.

Drag Racing part Deux
I was tempted to drive to SA and watch the Viper vs. Vette show, but instead decided to go to HRP and flog my '02 and do some much needed testing.

I managed to get in 5 passes in 2 hours. The car at this point is bone stock down to the stock paper air filter. I had intended to have a light load of fuel, but instead ended up having a full tank of gas.

My first pass was at around 7pm and the last was at 9:15. Temperatures ranged from 82 down to 78 and the humidity was high +90% (In short, the air sucked). I really was more concerend with working on my 60' times rather than quarter mile times, as I knew the car would probably drop off from the last time I ran it. I also intended to play with shift points, etc... and see what did and didn't work.

My first pass ever in the car a few weeks ago was leaving just off idle and resulted in a 2.15 60' time and a 12.77@111 the air was cooler and the humidity was lower, hence the higher trap speed.

Best pass last night was a 2.041 60' time 12.667@110

Most everyone I talked with complained about the air quality, and how slow their cars were running. I raced a supercharged 93 mustang who beat me by two car lengths. He went an 11.88 @114 and complained because his trap speeds are sometimes as high as 121. I think he was ready to burn his car. He pulled me over and asked what my time was. I think he was mad because our race was so close, and he didn't pull on me on the big end. The he spotted the badges on the side of the car and went "OH, so thats a Z06, not just a regular 'vette" then he didn't feel so bad and put the can of gasoline and the ligher away and went to go get back int he staging lanes. I was playing with shift points on that pass and only went a 12.95 @110. Since he only beat me by 2 car lengths, I can only imagine how he would have felt on the next pass when the car went a 12.667 which would have put me one length in front of him. (I hate seeing mustang owners cry....)

Anyhow, a couple of observations. I am still working on getting a feel for the clutch. Best results so far have been to leave around 2000 rpm, slip the clutch and roll into the throttle. I am easing into the clutch too fast at this point and bogging the car on the leave slightly. I feel if I can control the release better, I can drop the 60' times significantly.

Leaving between 2500 and 3000 on the stock radials tends to lead to too much wheelspin for me.

If you are going to run your car at the drags shut off Active handling completely. I had mine in Performance mode. While doing my burnout the car moved a little sideways and the active handling kicked in ( I guess it thought I was in a slide) and shut down my burnout.

I played with the shift points and this is what I was able to determine.

Hitting the rev limiter at all seems cost about .1 seconds in a pass. So if you hit the limiter at all figure it costs you about this much. If you hit it in both the 1-2 and the 2-3 figure .2

Short shifting the car is quite detrimental to quater mile times. I played with a couple of different shift points and found that it seems to run best if you stretch them out right to the limit, but not past.

Third gear seems to be the killer. The car really seems to pull best in this gear. On one pass I short shifted third gear to fourth at about 5000. The car dropped to 13.33@108. I tried 5500 and the car went a 12.95@110. So, my advice in this department is to watch the tach in 3rd gear. The car seems to hang a bit at the top of 3rd, but hold 3rd as long as you can it is woth some E.T. I went all the way to 6000 on the 3-4 and the car went a 12.667@110.

I ran these passes with minimal cooldown and in bad weather to see how it should fare on the street. It appears to me that currently the only real problem in the car so far is with its drivers inability to 60'. So, I think I am going to borrow at set of 16" E.T. Streets for the next go around and see what the car can do if traction is not an issue.

10-22-2001 07:38 PM

----------------------------------

Here is my third trip to the track with the car. It ook around 10 passes at the strip to get the lanches figured out.

----------------------------------

12.350 @ 114 - Bone stock
I went out to HRP Friday night and made 4 passes on the car. As per the advice of Ranger and some of the other folks I dropped the air pressure in the rears to 22.

My first pass was right off the street with no cooldown. 2.20 60' with a 12.88@111

I used the heater to bring down the motor temp (it goes right down to 190).

Next pass I brought the revs up more, and worked on slipping the clutch a little more. 1.97 60' 12.41 @ 112

Next pass I cooled the car again to 190 went up to around 2800-3000 and bogged it slightly coming out off the hole ( still working on the release) the car went a 1.92 60' 12.35 @ 114

Last pass I blew the release and ended up with a 12.88 @ 111

I was impressed however that there is 3-4 mph on the big end depending on the launch. I am interested to see how a lower 60' time helps the cars mph.

Anyhow, thanks to Ranger and everyone else who is posting hints here. My quest is to get it into the 11s with no mods. I may try it first on some drag radials, just to see if it can be done, and then work on doing it on the stock radials.

Anyhow, take care.

11-19-2001 06:09 PM

----------------------

Next I mounted up a set of ET Streets and took the car to the track in this case, the car finally went into the 11s. Using the ET streets helped me in learning what the cars limits were, and actually helped me do a LOT better on the radials.

-----------------------

11.960 @ 113.52 Bone Stock
Well, I went to HRP this evening on my new ET Streets. I made about 8 passes. There was about 6" of rain yesterday, so the track had been prepped right before rans began. I left at about 3500 and bogged the car and went a 12.22. I went to 4000 and the car bogged and went a 12.10. I was hot-lapping the car and my temps were in the 205 range. I continued to increase the launch rpms until I launched at 5200 rpm and came away with a 1.75 60' 11.96@113.52 I was warned by tech that one more 11 sec pass and I would be kicked out. I cooled the car to 190 degrees and went to launch the car at 5500 rpm. It resulted in a 1.69 60' time. But, I hit the rev limiter and blew the run. I came away with a 1.697 60' 11.98@112.54. Had I not blown the shifts I feel confident it would have been an 11.91 pass.

And as the title says, the car is bone stock no mods, no filter, no nothing. Just tires...

I will have a scan of the timeslips ready in the next day or so, and I will post them also.

12-15-2001 03:21 AM

--------------------------------

Next I decided to go out an work on the radials again. As you can see the ET Streets helped my skills on the stock radials.

--------------------------------

12.181@112.21 on Radials
Well, I had a chance to go out to HRP Sunday for some "instant green" racing.

My car was on Empty, so I debated on whether to go run on the ET streets and run a light fuel load, or whether to top it off for some ballast and run on the stock radials.

Since I had managed to run the 11.96 on the ET streets the last time out, I decided to go work on my radial tire skills.

I was late getting out there, and the track was packed. I was only able to get three passes in.

The first pass I launched the car at about 3000 Rpm and slipped the clutch. The clutch seemed to stick at about 3/4 of the way when I released it. It popped loose towards the top of 1st gear. I had not encountered this before in the Z. I hope this was a one time event, but I will be keeping an eye on this.

The launch RPM seemed to be low, and the car didn't move as hard as I wanted. Also, as usual on my first run, I banged the rev limiter twice. Usually my first run is a total blow off run , and then I get settled down and actually drive like I am supposed to. Instead of like a total goober. The timeslip reflected this.

60' - 1.947
330 -5.233
1/8 - 7.967
mph - 91.13
1000 - 10.298
1/4 - 12.280
mph - 112.35

I decided to weigh the car with a full ( and I mean completely FULL) load of fuel. The car weighed 3150 without me, and 3338 with me.

The next pass, I was in the lanes, and the guy in front wanted to race me. He was driving a mid 90's white Mustang LX. So, I said sure. He also said that he owned a WS6. He and his friends were nice, and we talked for a few minutes.

We staged the cars, he staged last and they dropped the light on us. He got me out of the hole by about a car length. I launced again at around 3000, since I didn't want to go up in smoke against a rustang.

The car launched about the same, maybe a little less. But, the car started to spin towards the end of of 1st and bumped the rev limiter. I had to chop throttle and shift It also wheelhopped a bit as it went into 2nd. By this point I was 1 to 1 1/2 car lengths behing the mustang. In 2nd nothing changed drastically. But when I stuck it in 3rd, the tables turned. I went from 1 length behind to 3 lengths in front. As most folks have noted the car really works in 3rd gear. I was happy that I beat him, but it was definitely not the best pass I ever made.

60' - 1.973
330 - 5.366
1/8 - 8.120
mph - 90.54
1000 - 10.463
1/4 - 12.445
mph - 114.32

The final pass was at the end of the night. I had hot lapped the car back around, and the temperature was around 205 degrees. I went to pull up, to do my burnout, and watched the car in fron of me leave. It was some silly kid in a 85 LX. He spun hard leaving and got completely sideways at the 330' mark and stopped inches from hitting the wall head on. He also took out the timing markers as he slid sideways. This idiot was spinning when he left and should have chopped throttle long before he got sideways. His car was drifting all over the place and probably ran all of a 15.1. They got on the radio after his little stunt and had someone go find him, and throw him out of the track.

Anyhow, they got the track cleaned off, and put in a new reflector, and I finally got to make my pass. They let me make my last pass by myself. I decide to try and raise the launch rpm, since I the night was over. I launched at about 4200. The car launched much better this time. I was able to keep my revs in the 5000 range all the way through 1st. The car didn't feel like it was spinning at all in 1st. The pass felt good all the way until I got to the 3-4 shift. I got greedy trying to stretch 3rd and bumped the limiter. I knew it cost me some time and mph.

Anyhow, I picked up my slip, and I was happy to see that the car had improved.

60' - 1.903
330 - 5.165
1/8 - 7.873
mph - 91.54
1000 - 10.200
1/4 - 12.181
mph - 112.21

Looks like the rev limiter was worth at least 2 mph and I would guess probably a tenth of a second. Anyhow, I am going to try and go next time and see if I can get those radial times into the magical 12.0 - 11.99 range.

Last edited by J-Rod on 01-29-2002 at 08:12 AM

01-28-2002 06:34 PM

I went out the next weekend and made my fastest pass to date. 1.85 -60' / 11.933@114.52. I have since gone faster in the 60', but I am having clutch problems (not with it slipping, but with the pedal sticking to the floor). Until that is resolved, I probably will not be getting into the 11.80's. But anyway, my goal for the next few months is to get into the 11.80s or faster on the stock radials.

-------------------

11.933@114.52 Bone Stock on Radials
Well I went out to HRP this evening for a little instant green action. It was cold and windy tonight the weather shows 7mph, but, think it was closer to 10-15. The temperature was between 48 and 51 degrees when I got there and went down to 45 when I left.

Current Temp: 45 °F
Wind Chill: 41 °F
Wind: north at 7 mph
Humidity: 58%
Dewpoint: 31 °F
Barometer: 30.46 " and rising

The wind was blowing straight down the track, so you were running into a headwind.

My first pass was my usual blow off pass. I launched to hard and the car spun. 2.218 60' - 12.571@113.61

My next pass felt pretty good. Not great, but good. The car launched ok, I hit the rev limikter in 1st, but the rest of the pass was pretty solid. I got pulled over at the timing stand.

60' - 1.915
330 - 5.130
1/8 - 7.777
mph - 93.56
1000 - 10.055
1/4 - 11.992
mph - 114.73

Ok, I was given the warning and sent back to tech for the usual "Don't do that again". Ok, sure

I tried to cool the car down since there wasn't much of a crowd, and I could almost drive right up to the line. I decided that if the pass felt the least bit off, I would abort it, and see if I could get a "good" run in.

I made two more passes. One felt good, but the clutch stuck to the floor again and didn't come off until the car hit the rev limiter in 1st.

It was a 1.919 60' 12.324@93.61 on the brakes hard.

The next pass I had the car cool, and then something screwed up on the far end, so I had to sit there with both bulbs on and staged and let the car get hot, and the tires get cold. The car spun so I just coasted down the track.

I brought the car back around the coolant was at 194. The car launched pretty hard for radials, and bumped the rev limiter in 1st. The pass felt solid, so I stayed with it.

When I got to the timing stand I got the usual grief. I went through all the hooplah, and picked up my slip.

60' - 1.852
330 - 5.055
1/8 - 7.709
mph - 93.32
1000 - 9.992
1/4 - 11.933
mph - 114.53

So, I guess its time for a cage either that, or I get 1 or 2 passes per trip to the track.

Anyhow, I met another new Z06 owner Brutus0725 he just traded in his 2000 coupe for a 2002 z06. He was out there with paper tags and running some 12.3s. Which I thought was good for a new car with limited seat time. He was really cool, and I had a good time talking with him. Anyhow, I was pleased to see the car picking up still.

And as always, the car is 100% bone stock down to the paper air filter, and these passes were made on the stock radials.

02-11-2002 02:18 AM

------------------------------

Old 10-29-2002, 03:11 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 406 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Re: My experiences with drag racing my Z06... Going from 12.7 to 11.933 (J-Rod)

J-Rod

Very good post, and very impressive work to get those times into the 11 sec range. Many congrats!! :cheers:

Perhaps you could post a short "summary" of how you would go about making a 11.99 run, based upon all your excellent experimentation, such as final recommended holeshot rpm, tire press, shift points, etc.

Also--were these powershifts or off-throttle fast shifting?
Old 10-29-2002, 03:46 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: My experiences with drag racing my Z06... Going from 12.7 to 11.933 (J-Rod)

Excellent post and great information. You make me feel a lot better about not shelling out $400+ for a CAI so far.

Are you running a cold-air intake yet? Do you plan to try it and see what happens?

TIA!
Old 10-29-2002, 04:17 PM
CJS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post and interesting!
Question? On your 2nd time to the track the Mustang ran 11.88 and you ran 12.66. How do you figure you would have beat him by a length on that run, when his e.t. was a lot better?
Old 10-29-2002, 05:25 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Default Re: My experiences with drag racing my Z06... Going from 12.7 to 11.933 (Tom Steele)

Great driving J-Rod :cheers:

Sorry for invading this post, but a response is called for.

Excellent post and great information. You make me feel a lot better about not shelling out $400+ for a CAI so far.

Yeah how do you figure that? His traps are pretty much in line with any stock Z06, including mine. He was trapping about 111 in the heat and about 114 in the cold. I also noticed that the E.T.s he got with his 2.1 60' times in the heat were pretty much inline with what I got in the heat.

CAI equipped cars are running about 3 more MPH in similar weather. J-Rod's great E.Ts are due to his incredible 60' times. You are worrying about $400 for a CAI, but you dropped $400 on a Predator? I see that the vendors are claiming 30 RWHP with a built in 'scanner'. Nice! :lol:
Old 10-29-2002, 05:53 PM
BobA
Instructor

I love the drag experince. Is there a way to disable the rev limiter? I just got my 03 Z06 and can see it may be a problem. I only have about 270 miles on it so I want to use your experince to help me get low 12 or high 11s befor I do any thing to car.
Your experince with the car was well documented, I hope to do as well
BobA :yesnod:
Old 10-29-2002, 07:49 PM
pdvale
Burning Brakes

Default Re: My experiences with drag racing my Z06... Going from 12.7 to 11.933 (BobA)

J-Rod,

Thanks for putting all the info together, I have only been to the track once in the car and need alot more seat time to get better. From reading your post I think I am probably short shifting and not letting the full RPM's..

Paul.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:10 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for posting this anthology, J-Rod. It's readable and full of insights that will help a wide variety of folks trying to improve their skills.

I enjoyed reading them again all in one spot.

You remain the leader of the exclusive club whose members have managed to get a true bone-stock Z06 into the 11s. So your experience is well worth reading.

Ranger

Old 10-29-2002, 09:44 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: My experiences with drag racing my Z06... Going from 12.7 to 11.933 (rbartick)

Yeah how do you figure that? His traps are pretty much in line with any stock Z06, including mine. He was trapping about 111 in the heat and about 114 in the cold. I also noticed that the E.T.s he got with his 2.1 60' times in the heat were pretty much inline with what I got in the heat.
He's running 11's with the stock paper filter.

You are worrying about $400 for a CAI, but you dropped $400 on a Predator? I see that the vendors are claiming 30 RWHP with a built in 'scanner'. Nice! :lol:
I hadn't seen any 30 rwhp claims. But I'd like to discuss the predator with you, in detail in another post - because I hooked it up today (scan, not tune) and found some interesting things. You said "you'd talk with me" when I started scanning. Well, I have.

But, to answer your question, I bought the predator - as I've stated elsewhere - with the following in mind:

1. I want to install a cooler thermostat and adjust the fans.
2. I want to raise the limiter by 200 rpm.
3. I want the scan tools, which are turning out to be better than I had originally expected.
4. I want the ability to change the A/F ratio.
5. I want the ability to bump the timing a little, if I don't get KR.
6. I'd like to try their tuning, expecting somewhere between 5-10 rwhp.

I'll discuss what I saw today in another post.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=422345

[Modified by Tom Steele, 8:38 PM 10/29/2002]
Old 10-29-2002, 11:01 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Default Re: My experiences with drag racing my Z06... Going from 12.7 to 11.933 (Tom Steele)

He's running 11's with the stock paper filter.
Like I already said, the 11 second slip is a result of his incredible 1.852 60' time. If I was proficient enough to launch like that my car would be going quicker than 11.9s. All of the cars running the various CAI system are trapping higher than his car.

This is not a knock against J-Rod or his car. His accomplishments are simply amazing.

[Modified by rbartick, 9:22 PM 10/29/2002]
Old 10-30-2002, 12:28 AM
fifimonster
Instructor

were you doing full no lift throttle powershifts?
Old 10-30-2002, 09:06 AM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Default Re: My experiences with drag racing my Z06... Going from 12.7 to 11.933 (fifimonster)

Howdy,

I just got into work to read the msgs in the thread. I will try to answer all the questions y'all posted.

Tracy - On just about every pass I have made in the car I have powershifted it. I think there were a few times that perhaps the car would have gone faster if I had lifted a bit on the 1st to 2nd shift as I picked up on some wheelspin. But yes, I powershift my car.

Tom - VaraRam's HQ is about 20 minutes from the house. If I was going to get one, it would probably be this one, as it looks like the best way to duct in cold air. But, if I do a cold air system, I will probably just make my own cold air scoops and connect it to the factory box and filter. I think I can pick up most of what I need for a few dollars down at Home Depot or Lowes...

CJS - Drag racing has two parts your reaction time and your ET. I simply killed the guy out of the hole. He was on slicks and caught up to me fairly quickly since I bogged the car. But, on the big end, he was unable to pull me at all. As I said in the post I was just off his back bumper and went a 12.6. If I had run as a bit better (as I did in in my next pass) I would have been out in front of him by about 2 car lengths. Whether it is at the track or on the street, the holeshot is your best friend. It is a quick way to humble much faster cars...

rbatrick - Howdy, a couple of things I need to clear up on the posts. Yes, my times are strictly due to the good 60' times and some decent air. Anyone in the world could duplicate those times if they did the same as I did. As for my MPH the 110-111 was due to poor 60' times and also not holding 3rd long enough when I first bought the car. Changing both of those items picked up the other 3-5mph. I ran the car in 85+ degree this summer in weather with 80-90% humidity. The car 60' in the 1.8's and went a 12.007 and a 12.008 @ 116. One pass was I believe a 116.9. But I think the high mph was due to the track being a bit greasy and I picked up some wheel spin on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I think this also cost me an 11.9 timeslip too. As for the predator, I am anxious to see how it works. As for now, I am seriously considerding LS1 edit and AutoTap...

BobA - You can edit the program to up your rev limiter. But, it is there for a reason. To save your motor and valvetrain. I have heard that some folks have moved the limiter up a bit on the stock motor, and that it will rev to 6800. But, I have not confirmed this. The big thing is to learn to shift by ear, or by feel so that you don't hit the limiter. In my case every one in a while I just "bump" the limiter as I am shifting. There are some rather small shift lights out there that can assist in this. Just don't rely on the tach its too slow, and is useless in 1-2, almost useless on the 2-3. But, I do watch it in 3rd. I hold the 3-4 as long as I can (without hitting the limiter). For instance by my tach I am ususally poopieing 1-2 at around 5200 (which is actually about 6200-6300). 2-3 at around 5800 (the same, 6200 to 6400 actually). 3-4 is pretty much on the money.

pdvale - That was the single biggest improvement I made in my times. It felt like I needed to shift the car. I was only running 110. I held out 3rd gear longer, and left a bit harder and all of the sudden I picked up .3 seconds and 3 mph.

Ranger - Thanks for the kind words. But, you, Powershifter, Steve Row, butcher, eb02z06 and several other members are running 11.6's and headed for the 11.5s with just drag radials and an airfilter. I mean geez... :) Anyhow, I hope that I can get close to y'all times. Hopefully I can get this clutch sorted out and start taking advantage of some of this cold air we are starting to get. My goal is to get into the 11.80s on the stock radials with the stock airbox (or faster :) ). Right now there are plenty of folks who are half a gnats whisker away from beating me with the same stock combo. So, it time for me to step up.. :)

Tom - Keep us posted on the Predator

rbatrick - I went 114.52 through the stock airfilter,etc... with the restrictive (although somewhat better) 2002 cover in place. My mph seems to show about a 1-2 mph improvement by pulling the cover off and leaving the frame around the filter, but simply wire tied into place. As I said, I hope to be testing as soon as I have my clutch woes resolved. I think my next point of attack is to flip the box over and have it have a better shot at the incoming air. I think this may be beneficial. I simply have to get a piece of hose to run over to the other side of the box to relocate the breather hose which is plumbed into the box on the driver's side. I could just drill a hole in the passenger side, relocate it, and put a grommet in the old hole, but I prefer to leave it as stock as possible.

fifimonster - yes most of my shift are foot on the floor, bump the clutch and grab the gear as quick as I can shifts. But, I do use the clutch. Not using the clutch is a very bad thing.... :( Things will break... That is my big problem now. I have had a few passes lately where I felt that I would have been in the low 11.9s or perhaps 11.8s. 1.75 60' times for instance, but the clutch stuck to the floor, and I couldn't get the car to go to second. I tried but it was not happening.

Anyhow, I hope this helps anyone who want to race their stocker. I just wanted to point out, you probably aren't going to go to the track and in your first 3 passes turn an 11.9. Look at me, I sure didn't. It took some seat time and severla passes to get it all down. One thing I would suggest is to go out to the track early and try to get in as many passes as you can. We call this hot lapping. Don't worry about trying to run an 11.99. Just look at your slips. Make sure that every pass your times get better and better. Work on your launches, work on your shift points, etc... If you do 5 or 6 back to back passes you will be amazed at how your times start to drop. One of the things about doing this is doing them in rapid succesion help you get some "muscle memory" so this is more instinctive. One of the things about going to the strip is that many times it is over an hour between passes. By that time, the car may have cooled, but your body has forgotten what it did (right or wrong) on the last pass. Once you have a good technique down you can go to the track and get squared away in 1 or 2 passes.Consider it your crash course in drag racing 101. Doing that will conceivably save you 3 or 4 more trips to the track before you get your technique sorted out.

The only other advice I have is to drop the air pressure. I go with 22 in the rear and 50 in the front. Thats what works for me others have gone anywhere from 25 to 28. But dropping the pressure does work. So, play with that also.

Anyway, if there are any other questions please post them. I'll do my best to answer them.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:11 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

rbatrick - Howdy, a couple of things I need to clear up on the posts. Yes, my times are strictly due to the good 60' times and some decent air. Anyone in the world could duplicate those times if they did the same as I did.
Sorry for invading this post J-Rod. I do not know anybody else that has been able to run low 1.9s on the stock tires. That is just plain incredible. I am lucky to get a 2.099. You mentioned a 2000 RPM launch in this thread and said "Leaving between 2500 and 3000 on the stock radials tends to lead to too much wheelspin for me." You then later on mention a 3000 RPM launch. Which RPM level are you using to get a low 1.90 60'? I would not expect the clutch to hold up to too many 3000 RPM slipping launches. You also said some of the runs in this thread were on DRs?

This weekend I tried 2500 RPM launches with slipping the clutch. All I got was uncontrollable wheelhop and 2.35 60' times and I still ended up going about 117 MPH even though I wasted first and a good amount of second gear.

As far as the MPH goes I just said that the TRIC/VR/Vortex guys are running on average about 3 more MPH than you.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:33 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

J-Rod ... great writeup, buddy! I guess Mom was right ... practice does make perfect. Thanks for taking the time to document your experiences. :cheers:
Old 10-30-2002, 10:38 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Here are some of the data points I captured during one of those bad launches. I launched at 2500 RPM at about 29% throttle. All I got was uncontrollable wheelhop & wheelspin. The MPH numbers reported in first gear are fluctuating and that indicates wheelspin. It looks like I went WOT at about 31 MPH, but I am not sure due to the MPH errors due to wheelspin. The MPH numbers also look funny at the start of 2nd gear because I was still spinning at that point. The car settled down in second gear and ended up running 117 MPH with a 2.35 60’ time.

Old 10-30-2002, 11:28 AM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Default Re: My experiences with drag racing my Z06... Going from 12.7 to 11.933 (rbartick)

The wheelspin was early on. My experiences with ET Streets helped me get a feel for wha the car would do, and what I needed to be doing with the clutch. As for the 60' times. The higher I rev it, the lower the 60' times.

My best 60' have been leaving at 4700-5500. Yes, this could be characterized by saying it is probably not condusive to long clutch life. Leaving at 3200-3500 typically gets me in the 1.9s.

For instance the other night, I left at 4700 and cut a 1.75 60'. The only problem as I stated was the clutch stayed glued most of the way down. When I went to pull 2nd I didn't have enough pedal to disengage the clutch. I missed the shift, had to lift off the throttle, and then pull it into second. That pass was a 12.2@114... So I feel pretty confident it would have been a VERY good pass otherwise.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:43 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

My best 60' have been leaving at 4700-5500. Yes, this could be characterized by saying it is probably not condusive to long clutch life. Leaving at 3200-3500 typically gets me in the 1.9s.

For instance the other night, I left at 4700 and cut a 1.75 60'.
:eek:

Is the 1.75 on street tires?

It is pretty safe to say that I will never be launching at 4700 ;)

What kind of 60' did you get on street tires when launching in the 1500-2000 RPM range?

Get notified of new replies

To My experiences with drag racing my Z06... Going from 12.7 to 11.933

Old 10-30-2002, 01:01 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

That is launching just off idle. I'd say about 2.0 or so perhaps a bit worse depending on how low the rpms were...

That would be about like I was launching at in my first few passes.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:14 PM
moparmike
Intermediate

It is pretty safe to say that I will never be launching at 4700 ;)
Yeah, didn't you patent the 'soft-launch' ??? or was it the 'drive-train-saving-launch' ????

You have no business commenting on everyone's drag races when you don't even know what a z06 can do because you drive it like a women or a gold chainer collector.

go play with your autotap and stay off the internet for a little while mr.friggin know it all.

Old 10-30-2002, 01:30 PM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

Default Re: My experiences with drag racing my Z06... Going from 12.7 to 11.933 (moparmike)

Very informatative and thorough post...Mr Mo-Par Mike, do i sense a little hostility???I think his results speak for themself... :yesnod:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] My experiences with drag racing my Z06... Going from 12.7 to 11.933