C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 05:33 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Default Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam

When I ran the Challenge 2 times a few months ago in my factory stock car the weather conditions were as follows:
July 13
I think DA was 1600 Ft, not sure about this
Temp – 86
R.H. – 37%
On that day with ¼ tank of gas I ran 12.9 @ 111.8
See here:

July 27
DA was 1800
Temp – low 90s
R.H. – 35%
On that day with ¼ tank of gas I ran 12.8 @ 109.7
See here:

Today the weather conditions were as follows
DA – 2300 Ft
Temp – low 90s
R.H. – 47.5 %

The weather conditions were a lot worse today than the last few times out. This is what I ran with ½ a tank of gas(left lane)

So in much worse weather with more gas in the car I went .41 seconds quicker and close to 4 MPH faster. WOW. All runs done on street tires with stock pressures, no burnout at all, easy launch with slow 60’ times. My MAP just about hit BARO at the top of 4th for a few cells on each run.

I was flat out smoking stock Z06 cars, and Z06 cars with minor bolt-ons like airboxes. Most of these near stock 02 Z06 cars were running very high 12s, very low 13s. Many stock and near stock Z06 owners were coming over to me asking what I did to run the car so fast.

I even ran more MPH than the super talented Steve Row. Steve is an unbelievable driver and runs an ’02 with a Vortex Rammer, fan switch, and DRs. Steve and I compared slips. He killed me in 60’ and 1/8 times due to his DRs and super aggressive driving. My car pulled harder than his after the 1/8 mark and I ran stronger than him at the top end of the track every time. He agrees; if you don’t believe me ask him for yourself. Steve’s MPHs were in the 112 – 113.5 range. He was pulling 1.8 60’ times and super 1/8 times (don’t remember the figures) and running 12.1s @ 113.5 in the end.

Fellow Challenge member James has an 02 Yellow Z06 with long tube headers, Halltech intake, and a thermostat. He is an excellent driver and at the last challenge he was running consistent 12.2s @ 115 MPH and was killing my 12.9s and 12.8s @ 110. Today James was running 12.5s @ 114 and I finally beat him.

Numerous forum members watched my car perform. If you don’t believe me ask Steve Row or Dave-T. They will back up my story. Even in worse weather my car is going a lot faster now. If I were running with the lower DAs from the last time out I would be going 12.1s or 12.2s on stock tires with no burnout. This is a fact, not an opinion.

You can spend all day with your head in some textbooks trying to figure out what is going on, but until you actually take some measurements from the car you are just spinning your wheels and blowing hot air. Some people talk about performance, other people achieve it.

Bottom line Tom, if you were to line up next to me I would flat out smoke you. The VaraRam works. Plenty of people saw that today.

Old 09-21-2002, 06:04 PM
Power Shifter
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam (rbartick)

CONGRATS!! rb. I can't wait to read the science. :lol: :blueangel: We "know"
from tom and SWC you can't get that type of gain on an 02. :smash:
Old 09-21-2002, 06:24 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam (Power Shifter)

Ok, how about this one. You will need your new found power to make up for those pathetic reaction times! :D :D :D :cheers:
Old 09-21-2002, 06:26 PM
Wilson6t7
Race Director

:eek: Nice times :cheers:
Old 09-21-2002, 06:42 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam (racer44)

Ok, how about this one. You will need your new found power to make up for those pathetic reaction times!
That was my worst R.T. of the day. I also got .574, .663, and .631.

:cheers:
Old 09-21-2002, 07:52 PM
RG in Dallas
Race Director

Elite Member
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

When I ran the Challenge 2 times a few months ago in my factory stock car the weather conditions were as follows:
July 13
I think DA was 1600 Ft, not sure about this
Temp – 86
R.H. – 37%
On that day with ¼ tank of gas I ran 12.9 @ 111.8
See here:

July 27
DA was 1800
Temp – low 90s
R.H. – 35%
On that day with ¼ tank of gas I ran 12.8 @ 109.7
See here:

Today the weather conditions were as follows
DA – 2300 Ft
Temp – low 90s
R.H. – 47.5 %

The weather conditions were a lot worse today than the last few times out. This is what I ran with ½ a tank of gas(left lane)

So in much worse weather with more gas in the car I went .41 seconds quicker and close to 4 MPH faster. WOW. All runs done on street tires with stock pressures, no burnout at all, easy launch with slow 60’ times. My MAP just about hit BARO at the top of 4th for a few cells on each run.

I was flat out smoking stock Z06 cars, and Z06 cars with minor bolt-ons like airboxes. Most of these near stock 02 Z06 cars were running very high 12s, very low 13s. Many stock and near stock Z06 owners were coming over to me asking what I did to run the car so fast.

I even ran more MPH than the super talented Steve Row. Steve is an unbelievable driver and runs an ’02 with a Vortex Rammer, fan switch, and DRs. Steve and I compared slips. He killed me in 60’ and 1/8 times due to his DRs and super aggressive driving. My car pulled harder than his after the 1/8 mark and I ran stronger than him at the top end of the track every time. He agrees; if you don’t believe me ask him for yourself. Steve’s MPHs were in the 112 – 113.5 range. He was pulling 1.8 60’ times and super 1/8 times (don’t remember the figures) and running 12.1s @ 113.5 in the end.

Fellow Challenge member James has an 02 Yellow Z06 with long tube headers, Halltech intake, and a thermostat. He is an excellent driver and at the last challenge he was running consistent 12.2s @ 115 MPH and was killing my 12.9s and 12.8s @ 110. Today James was running 12.5s @ 114 and I finally beat him.

Numerous forum members watched my car perform. If you don’t believe me ask Steve Row or Dave-T. They will back up my story. Even in worse weather my car is going a lot faster now. If I were running with the lower DAs from the last time out I would be going 12.1s or 12.2s on stock tires with no burnout. This is a fact, not an opinion.

You can spend all day with your head in some textbooks trying to figure out what is going on, but until you actually take some measurements from the car you are just spinning your wheels and blowing hot air. Some people talk about performance, other people achieve it.

Bottom line Tom, if you were to line up next to me I would flat out smoke you. The VaraRam works. Plenty of people saw that today.

Glad to see this Ross.:) You did great driving.:):cheers:

RG
Old 09-21-2002, 08:02 PM
NJVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam (RG in Dallas)

Congrats :cheers: My vararam should be here Monday or Tuesday and hopefully I will see similar gains on my coupe.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:04 PM
The DBK
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam (ZO6Les)

Ditto, almost identical results here.

In weather about 45 degrees warmer and humitidy well over 90%, I still managed to drop .2 off my et, and ran the same mph. I'm not a rocket scientist, but I was trapping the same as 2 Viper GTS's in attendance, and in good weather, those cars trap around 118-120.

Vararam works. Anyone thats still trying to find some scientific reason to explain it is just pissed they didn't spend their money on it first :D
Old 09-21-2002, 11:47 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam (The DBK)

Vararam works. Anyone thats still trying to find some scientific reason to explain it is just pissed they didn't spend their money on it first :D
Or they really just don't give a rats azz. :cheers:
Old 09-22-2002, 12:26 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

To validate the results you need to reinstall the '02 airbox and make more runs. This will negate the effect of learning, but it's still not a scientifically valid test.

To be scientifically valid, someone else would have to change the boxes unbeknownst to you, so the testing would be truly blind.

Some of your time improvements may be due to learning. There's no way to tell until you go back to the stock '02 airbox.

Duke
Old 09-22-2002, 12:42 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

After reviewing your time slips a bit more thoroughly an interesting fact falls out. Your recent 60 foot time was 0.235 and 0.294 second quicker than the first two with the stock airbox. An airbox is not going to change the 60' time by nearly a quarter of a second to three tenths of a second.

The Z06 is traction limited at the start, so you were either driving better or there was better available traction due to some combination of tires and track conditions. A nearly three tenths second better 60 foot timing is going to be amplified at the end in terms of both ET and trap speed.

There's some other phenomenom at work here besides an airbox!

Duke
Old 09-22-2002, 02:23 AM
The DBK
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam (racer44)

Or they really just don't give a rats azz. :cheers:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Wrong answer! If they didn't give a rats butt, they wouldn't be busy trying with all their might to disprove the evidence that pretty much every car with the Vararam has run quicker than it previously had. :D
Old 09-22-2002, 03:39 AM
Power Shifter
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam (SWCDuke)

After reviewing your time slips a bit more thoroughly an interesting fact falls out. Your recent 60 foot time was 0.235 and 0.294 second quicker than the first two with the stock airbox. An airbox is not going to change the 60' time by nearly a quarter of a second to three tenths of a second.

The Z06 is traction limited at the start, so you were either driving better or there was better available traction due to some combination of tires and track conditions. A nearly three tenths second better 60 foot timing is going to be amplified at the end in terms of both ET and trap speed.

There's some other phenomenom at work here besides an airbox!

Duke
Duke, Scientific.....Blind........buddy this is dragraceing not a disertation.Maybe not up to your scientific standards but you have serious math errors don't you?
1st.................2nd................3 rd
2.179............2.099...............2.1 35 60' times
12.943.........12.882..............12.47 3 1/4 ET
.044slower60' .036 quicker60'. than 3r vararam run 60'
SWC is it important where the decimal point goes? You being the science expert, how do you figuer it now? Looks to me like there showing exceptable varence in driver 60' times to tell the story for this purpose. Ric

[Modified by Power Shifter, 2:46 AM 9/22/2002]
Old 09-22-2002, 04:11 AM
Al's Mid Life Joy
Advanced

Great Job :cheers:
OK, IÕve now decided what intake to get.

Old 09-22-2002, 11:51 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Wrong answer! If they didn't give a rats butt, they wouldn't be busy trying with all their might to disprove the evidence that pretty much every car with the Vararam has run quicker than it previously had. :D
Not wrong answer!!!How many Vettes out there with aftermarket intakes, thousands???? How many guys making excuses? The same four or five? What about the other thousands?? They really don't give a rats azz AAAAAAAAAAAAAA Right answer! :cheers:
Old 09-22-2002, 12:38 PM
RG in Dallas
Race Director

Elite Member
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam (Al's Mid Life Joy)

Great Job :cheers:
OK, IÕve now decided what intake to get.

We have the varaRam in stock and have many happy customers with good gains. :)

There is also a money back guarantee against results.

Ross is very careful about his test data as can be referenced by his other posts on pcm stuff. He wants a fatser car, and got it, by far.:cheers:

RG

[Modified by RG in Dallas, 6:16 PM 9/22/2002]
Old 09-22-2002, 12:49 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

My mistake. I was looking at the right lane numbers - missed the arrow. Yes the 60' variance is what I would expect, but learning has not been accounted for. For example, data from my own drag racing experience indicates that shift technique has a significant impact on ET and trap speed, and improved shift technique typically comes from experience, which is learning.

Reinstalling the '02 airbox and making some runs would add some credibility to the data.

Duke

Get notified of new replies

To Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam

Old 09-22-2002, 12:56 PM
Steve Row
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Ross, you definitely had it working yesterday. The conditions were not good. It got very hot and humid as the day went on and traction went away. My best was at 10:43 in the morning before it got too bad. It was 12.063 @113.75 with a 1.738 60ft.

Obviously, everyone has an opinion about cold air systems and how well they work. I think the key is COLD AIR.

I like to look at the difference between the 1000ft time and the 1/4 mile time. If it is under 2 seconds, the cold air is working. On the 12.063 run my 1000ft was 10.081 for a difference of 1.982. On Ross's 12.473 run his 1000ft was 10.508 for a difference of 1.965. While that may not seem like much, spread over the 1/4 mile, it adds up. Also, his MPH for the 1/4 was 114.79. My best yesterday was 113.75. BTW, everyone seems to complain the Etown has low MPH numbers. Anyway, Ross was diffinitely making power.

Ross, put some drag radials on that thing and lets go heads up!
Old 09-22-2002, 01:51 PM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was wondering about how many milies were on your car previously and how many now? Sometimes there can be a substantial performance difference in the first 5-10k miles on a new car.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:13 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam (SWCDuke)

My mistake. I was looking at the right lane numbers - missed the arrow. Yes the 60' variance is what I would expect, but learning has not been accounted for. For example, data from my own drag racing experience indicates that shift technique has a significant impact on ET and trap speed, and improved shift technique typically comes from experience, which is learning. Reinstalling the '02 airbox and making some runs would add some credibility to the data.
Give me a break already. I have already posted more than enough info to document the power gain. For futher documentation read Steve Row's post.

My driving experience is not an issue. I am far from a newbie. Ask the challenge members. The ones that know me know I can drive.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hey Tom, Ran my VaraRam