Sponsored by:

[Z06] Traded in my Z after 12 great years

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 03:57 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dork
I don't understand the low-mileage mentality. Not to be insulting; it's just that I can't fathom it. Yes, it's a beautiful and "revolutionary" car (hydro-formed single-unit frame, Ti mufflers, rear transmission, etc, etc), but too pretty to drive?? I can't stop smilin' when I'm driving it. I don't hardly ever WOT it, but just the tight, no-squeak, everyday handling and response is enough to get me to drive it as much as possible... and I'm retired, with no place to go.

But I just shake my head at this yellow c7 Vert in town... I drive by this one residence 2-4x per week (at unpredictable hours--crack of dawn, mid-day, 3am, all hours). There's been a yellow Vert under that carport EVERY time I've drive by. I've never not seen it parked there since it was first parked there in December. I wonder why it's not in a garage if he's gonna 'store' it. Tax, license and insurance alone must be "killing" him/her for the miles they've put on it. It just strangles up my mind...
It's not always a "mentality", per say, sometimes it's just the reality of a busy life. I don't drive my '04Z that much anymore (owned it since 2006) and it's not my only car (also own a Yukon).

It's at 50k right now. I'm not intentionally TRYING to keep the miles down, I just have so much going on and as a result, the Z stays at home usually. Oh, also I work from home, so there's no commute to speak of.

I've been to the race track a few times and would like to go back as soon as I have the time. Now that I think about it, it wasn't until after those track events that I started losing interest in puttering around town. I think I just need to get things back on track (literally ).
Old 08-06-2014, 04:21 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vant
Now that I think about it, it wasn't until after those track events that I started losing interest in puttering around town. I think I just need to get things back on track (literally ).
I am beginning to understand that myself. When you know what the car is actually capable of, it seems almost pointless to drive it on public roads. That's why I want to try to improve the interior experience with the next round of mods.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

I did the same thing. My 02Z went after 10 years for the 427. Didn't make the wife happy, but it's my $$ and I got what I wanted. I'm sure you're gonna love your C7. My brother just bought a 14 Z51 3LT Torch Red. They're great cars. Good luck with your new purchase.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:56 AM
Ferg03 Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I am the 4th owner of my 03 Z with 33k..I have put 800 miles since I got it in January..I'm not intentionally not driving it..I just am really busy and don't get to drive it much. I just think it makes it that much more satisfying and gratifying when I do finally get to drive it!!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:34 AM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

You guys are all garage queen queers.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:44 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by dork
I don't understand the low-mileage mentality.
There is no need for you to understand it. Some people have busy lives and multiple vehicles.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Race Prepared
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Had just 8,300 miles on my 04 Z when I sold her last year....
Old 08-09-2014, 03:23 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't understand people whining about others with low mileage cars. Many have different reasons and uses for their Vette. Some are waxers, some are show car builders, some love bone stock DD's, some build fire-breathing monsters that they rarely drive, some do tons of track only driving...who cares! It's all good!

Again, the folks that keep garage queens are numerous and I think that's fantastic. Guys like me who are in the middle (like to drive as much as possible but only on fair weather days) can find low mileage used Vettes worth buying pretty easily.

Anyhow, congrats to the OP. Enjoy that C7 and at least post a "goodbye" pic of it in this thread when you get it!
Old 08-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Jay's Z
Racer

Originally Posted by chassed
You guys are all garage queen queers.
Oh...someone's jealous.

What's the matter? Not enough queers in Albuquerque?

Had to go there...this thread was getting dull.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:40 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

I try intentionally to keep mine down to 5K miles per year or less.

Have not quite been able to do that, since I have 31K on my 03 Z06 (had 20K miles when I purchased it 20 months ago).

Why? Simple, re-sale value. I have no plans to sell it, however, since it is a luxury and not a necessity, always want to assure I can keep depreciation down to around 75% of what I paid for it (at least for the first 3 years). Sure I could get 21-23K out of it rather quick. It is in pristine condition inside and out (no rock chips, no flaws).

An 03 Z06 with less than 35K is worth 23-26K in pristine condition (Torch Red, Black, or Electron Blue being the preferred for sale colors). A 100,000K miles 03 Z06 is worth about 13-17K in good condition. Simple mathematics.

Might explain why many of us have a "garage queen", or semi-"garage queen" Vette(s). In addition, many (like myself) commute conditions require us to sit in traffic as much or more than you do actually driving the vehicle [I am in Atlanta, where my average commute is 50% in motion and 50% sitting in traffic or 38 miles one way=1.5-2.0 hours] ). No way I would want to subject my Z06 to daily commuting under these conditions.

In addition, the Vette is not a cheap daily driver (cost of brakes, tires, etc). If you daily drive or commute back and to work in your Vette in a large metro area and your commute is 15-40 miles, your paint will go from pristine to very good to average rapidly. Expect rock chips, broken or damaged air dams, alignment issues, etc. within very short periods of time.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

12 years of ownership, and 19k miles. I haven't driven it in 3 weeks, and then only for about half an hour. I've modified it to the point it is no longer easy to drive, and physical changes (C2-T2 fusion) don't help me enjoy the semi laid-back driving position. Lots of months, the car has been on jackstands while I was installing mods, and I just couldn't get to finishing whatever I was working on for some time. It's a great sports car, but, things change.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:48 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I am beginning to understand that myself. When you know what the car is actually capable of, it seems almost pointless to drive it on public roads. That's why I want to try to improve the interior experience with the next round of mods.
I stopped riding sport bikes PERIOD on the street, pretty much after I had 2 track sessions (road coursing not drag strip - which I also did). You think you can't exploit a C5 Z's performance on the street? Try a Yamaha R1.

So, I sold the 600 and the 1000 that were sitting collecting dust and used the $$$ to help w/ my Z downpayment....oh and I didn't wanna end up road pizza, but that goes hand in hand w/ tracking the bike and the enjoyment on the street I guess.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:08 AM
danfink
Cruising

I've been DD'ing my 02Z everyday to and from work in Atlanta(60 miles round trip). Needless to say, I love every second of it.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:14 AM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Got my 02 Z just over a year ago with 6,100 miles. Bought it late June of 13 and was busy the last half of the summer so i didnt drive it much. winter was terrible and lasted until just about May so it came out of storage late. It now has 9,600 miles on it. Its pretty much a weekend only car. I dont have time to drive it during the week and im not driving it to work. (corporation with 4,000 employees and busy crowded parking lots) Im going to tail of the dragon in October and i will probably put 2,000+ miles on it in just 4 days!
Old 08-15-2014, 04:35 AM
fairlady_z33
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+ 1

Originally Posted by thevettepirate
i love the new c7 !!! But the c5 is paid for

Quick Reply: [Z06] Traded in my Z after 12 great years