[Z06] **** NOS or SC or H/C ****

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:04 AM
knr13
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default **** NOS or SC or H/C ****

let me get your input on this my fellow Z06ers
i "think" my 02 is pushing maybe 390 to 400+ don't know i have yet to dyno the car i have Kooks LT,CAI,MILD CAM YELLOW TERRA ROCKERS 1.7, RPM TRANS, BORLA CATBACK thats about all i can see and hear so i'm just curious what about Nos? from what i hear the LS6 love's Nos
nothing to crazy but like maybe a 100 or a 150 shot tops
any thoughts or input on the NOS ?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

every single person i know who's used nitrous has popped a ringland sooner or later

yes i know they say it can be safe and all that

but

every single person i know has burned a hole in a piston at some point using nawz
Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
every single person i know who's used nitrous has popped a ringland sooner or later

yes i know they say it can be safe and all that

but

every single person i know has burned a hole in a piston at some point using nawz
For overall street performance and drivability, hard to beat a supercharger.

NOS is a lot safer than it used to be, but I would much rather have a Supercharger, given the choice. Don't try tuning a NOS system yourself, leave it to the pros. NOS bottles go empty, Supercharger does not.

The nice thing about naturally aspirated power, is the overall powerband. Most superchargers are centrifigal, where is does not kick on until around 3000 RPMs. Roots type superchargers will offer extra boost throughout the entire band, but are usually more expensive. Most will not fit under the stock hood on the C5. The ZR-1 uses a roots type system.

BTW, with headers, cam, and a good tune, you should be over 400, probably in the 410-420 range with a mild cam. Headers along should put you around 390, properly tuned.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:50 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

NOS' cheap.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I got bored the other day and plotted out stock vs a good H/C/I setup vs A&A kit w/ headers.

For the H/C/I setup I copied Toque's dyno on his website (thanks!). IIRC it was LG pro headers, LG G5x1E cam, AFR 205 milled to 59cc, Ported FAST 92/LS2 TB, Vararam intake. S/C numbers are pulled from A&A site for kit + LT headers only. For the H/C/I setup, obviously with a more aggressive cam we'd see higher peak numbers, but this setup should have good low end and wide powerband...but the S/C is beating in the low to mid range too.

Based on dyno plot alone it's hard to argue against the S/C kits...

Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

with your current mods you already have a good foundation for a blower setup... you could easily be in the middle 600's with about 10 pounds of boost... I wouldn't spend any money on a max effort h/c setup on your current motor because you will not get a lot more out of it for what you will spend
Old 07-28-2014, 10:37 PM
knr13
Instructor

good info

im just trying to justify the $5000+ gap on the S/C vs NOS

love the power she has now but i need to be able to keep up or smoke all that new crap out there now of days
Old 07-28-2014, 10:42 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I wouldn't want to have to get a bottle refilled all the time personally... I am also running meth but you can keep that stored in jugs and top it off as needed and it lasts longer and is cheap... just my opinion... even in mid 600's you will smoke most of what you run up against on the street... there's always someone faster but chances are that race will be set up and not just happen to run into them when cruising around... it's a tough pill to swallow at once but once you get it all done you won't regret it
Old 07-28-2014, 10:43 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by knr13
good info

im just trying to justify the $5000+ gap on the S/C vs NOS

love the power she has now but i need to be able to keep up or smoke all that new crap out there now of days
it's all about traction and gearing

unless you're doing the standing mile traction is a real problem as the hp climbs, nitrous is also the worst when it comes to traction. that stuff is an instant hit that will spin the tires if you don't have ample traction. this can be a bit hair raising if you hit the nitrous on the freeway at 80mph and light up the tires
Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 PM
knr13
Instructor

Originally Posted by neutron82
I wouldn't want to have to get a bottle refilled all the time personally... I am also running meth but you can keep that stored in jugs and top it off as needed and it lasts longer and is cheap... just my opinion... even in mid 600's you will smoke most of what you run up against on the street... there's always someone faster but chances are that race will be set up and not just happen to run into them when cruising around... it's a tough pill to swallow at once but once you get it all done you won't regret it
if you dont mind can you list your mod's please

it's all about traction and gearing

unless you're doing the standing mile traction is a real problem as the hp climbs, nitrous is also the worst when it comes to traction. that stuff is an instant hit that will spin the tires if you don't have ample traction. this can be a bit hair raising if you hit the nitrous on the freeway at 80mph and light up the tires
i'm runnung the Toyo's T1R 305/30/20 if i'm ligting them up at 80 that would be crazy

Last edited by knr13; 07-28-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

longtubes, small cam, d1sc head unit, meth, about 12psi... tires kept spinning that's what the squiggly line is up top so it might have a little more in it

Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 PM
knr13
Instructor

longtubes, small cam, d1sc head unit, meth, about 12psi... tires kept spinning that's what the squiggly line is up top so it might have a little more in it
bro is that 700RWHP on a D1 ?? how much is a setup like that run in DFW ?? if you want you can PM me the price if you dont want to broadcast

Old 07-28-2014, 11:40 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

bro is that 700RWHP on a D1 ?? how much is a setup like that run in DFW ?? if you want you can PM me the price if you dont want to broadcast

yeah that's with a d1 on a stock bottom end, I got an ecs kit with that head unit instead of the novi that they usually supply... it wasn't cheap and I didn't skimp out on any parts... did the work myself and had my buddy Bret (blownbluez06) tune it... this is also a street tune, I just threw it on a dyno to see what it would do... if you're looking for someone to do an install and tune I highly recommend him... like I said with the current mods you have and a blower you can easily hit 600+
Old 07-29-2014, 12:22 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

with your current mods you already have a good foundation for a blower setup... you could easily be in the middle 600's with about 10 pounds of boost... I wouldn't spend any money on a max effort h/c setup on your current motor because you will not get a lot more out of it for what you will spend
Better go with a forged bottom end and a lot of other drive train grades for 10 lbs of boost. Otherwise, you are going to be replacing a lot of parts!

5-6 lbs boost is about max on a stock bottom end if you want any reasonable guarantee it will hold together.

Probably will have to put a HD clutch in even with the 5-6 lbs of boost.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:07 AM
racebum
Race Director

if you dont mind can you list your mod's please

i'm runnung the Toyo's T1R 305/30/20 if i'm ligting them up at 80 that would be crazy
t1r isn't that great of a tire. 240 treadwear if i remember right, that or a 280, they haven't been produced in over 3 years so they are hard

you would have no problem lighting them up at 80 with your plans

move to something like the R888 before you add more power, you're already traction limited
Old 07-29-2014, 11:19 AM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

look at it this way..how often do you drive your car? how often do you race your car? If the above is very often or daily it then go for the SC kit..
I personally don't daily it or drive it often (work, kids, house)..and when I do take it out the odds of always racing it are 50/50 so in my case a NOs kit will be better off for the money...do I want a SC kit hell yes but with more power comes more issues, keep that in mind..IMO anything over 500whp on these cars becomes pointless, you will be going sideways very easily.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

The only time I personally could see the purpose for more then my stock 400 hp is at Road America, and that is just to see a big number as 140's are fast enough really. Even the other race tracks i run at WOT is rare and short lived.

Without putting heat into the tires 1st is useless and second is sketchy. Which means at stock power level you aren't able to really use your power till 60ish mph.

If you intend to drag race or race people on the freeway, then i guess more power could have value. Road Racing imo it will be a pain as it will just make throttle modulation more difficult. The fact that you are considering NOS makes me assume drag or street racing. Supercharger is definately the way to get that done in a fairly simple bolt on manner that can run for many 10's of thousands of miles.

Get notified of new replies

To **** NOS or SC or H/C ****

Old 07-29-2014, 02:09 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003Evo
look at it this way..how often do you drive your car? how often do you race your car? If the above is very often or daily it then go for the SC kit..
I personally don't daily it or drive it often (work, kids, house)..and when I do take it out the odds of always racing it are 50/50 so in my case a NOs kit will be better off for the money...do I want a SC kit hell yes but with more power comes more issues, keep that in mind..IMO anything over 500whp on these cars becomes pointless, you will be going sideways very easily.

, to a certain extent.

I kind of wish I'd stopped at my HCI setup. It pulled like crazy, the cam sounded better, and traction was much better. But then, I had a pretty optimized NA/stock block setup @ 483/432. I didn't twist my diff into scrap metal until after I went SC, but the clutch couldn't handle the H/C, and it went first. Now, I just spin, with 325 wide Invos. Since I don't track the car, or even street race; I went too far.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:43 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by zeevette
, to a certain extent.

I kind of wish I'd stopped at my HCI setup. It pulled like crazy, the cam sounded better, and traction was much better. But then, I had a pretty optimized NA/stock block setup @ 483/432. I didn't twist my diff into scrap metal until after I went SC, but the clutch couldn't handle the H/C, and it went first. Now, I just spin, with 325 wide Invos. Since I don't track the car, or even street race; I went too far.
you could always move to a better tire. invo is a cruiser tire

may make the car more enjoyable

i would think a set of R888s would make the car a lot more manageable
Old 07-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by racebum
you could always move to a better tire. invo is a cruiser tire

may make the car more enjoyable

i would think a set of R888s would make the car a lot more manageable
Yep, love the R888's, they held my 585rwhp great. I'd buy them again but the current widest tire they have for a 20 inch wheel is a 315 i believe. I wish they would make a wider choice for this option.

Quick Reply: [Z06] **** NOS or SC or H/C ****