Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Debt for a vette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:13 PM
cmc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You all make good sense. Thanks for the comments!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

I paid 1/2 in cash financed the balance. I could have paid for all of it, but don't mind having a small car payment since my company gives me a car allowance and gas card that covers my truck.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:17 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
That's a good way to look at it, but here is another.

Sure, if you have a a hundred thousand or more sitting in an account, paying cash makes perfect sense. However, even here there are exceptions.

For instance, if you can finance a car for 3% interest or less, you will actually be SPENDING MORE MONEY, if you take your cash out and pay for the car yourself. With $100,000.00 even if you invest conservatively, you should average around 5% interest per year. By paying cash, you are actually costing yourself 2% or 400.00 a year by paying cash (assuming you are buying a 20K car). In this respect, you are paying MORE by paying cash. This of course, assumes you are paying around 20K for the car.

However, if you have say 50K in your account, and you are making 70K plus a year, better to finance in any case. You need an emergency account that will last you up to six months in case of loss of income. Being solvent for six months gives you plenty of time to liquidate other assets if the need arises. You can always accelerate you pay off date once you have more disposable income.

Don't be stupid in your purchase, like buying a 50K plus priced vehicle period if you only have 50K in the bank. Don't buy vehicles with a rapid depreciation rate. A lot of the luxury vehicles lose over 25% of their value in the first year. Stay away from those vehicles, period. Of course if you have 200K sitting around and you are earning six figures or better, buy that 50K plus car if that is what you want.

The general rule is to never obligate yourself to over 50-60% of your total income. That includes all bills, mortgage/rent, insurance (all), utilities, car payments, etc. If you do not have the discipline to pay off credit cards every month, do yourself a favor BURN THEM. The only exception is a dire emergency and make a generated effort to get rid of the debt ASAP!

If you follow these general rules, you will be OK. Wished I had listened to my dad when he had this talk with me back in my twenties. I could semi-retire if I had listened.

Nothing wrong with using credit if you do not allow credit to control you. If you are an impulsive buyer, avoid credit like the plague.

Use your nogging for something other than a hat rack and you will be fine.
I think almost all of that is great advice. I'm *really* financially conservative though, and found your first limit ($100G's) startling; "...if you have a a hundred thousand or more sitting in an account, paying cash makes perfect sense." Even the second generalization--"However, if you have say 50K in your account, and you are making 70K plus a year, better to finance in any case." gave me the *******.

Financial prudence was ground into me by my elders during my college years. Childhood experiences (we were poor) reinforced it.

I don't think I'd pay cash for a car over $5G's if all I had was $100G's squirreled away. I'm not sure I'd advise financing anything over $10-15G's with a $50G account and $70G's-per-year job. True, in both cases the payments probably won't push the debt total past the 50-60% income rule you cite, but just as a WAG, I think my limit would be that the car's value probably wouldn't be any higher than 10-15% of my yearly gross.

Then again, I waited until I was in my late-30's for my first 'sports' car; thinking back, it's cost was ~15% of my net worth.

Paying cash comes with a lot of "penalties"--opportunity cost, loss of leverage(d money), and generally a smaller total in all accounts.

It has one GREAT advantage though and most of the time it's intangible--security. The nice thing about paying cash (if you can truly afford it) is that there's no specter of financial burden.

When I paid cash for my house, I did it with the decision that this was my retirement home, and I was retired. Income was going to be steady, but set; never increasing unless my mutual funds etc. pulled in a windfall. In this case, there's no reason to pay any interest especially since I could "afford" it. The general rule was, "there's no reason to take a risk." Hindsight made me content for once, in my financial practices. When the "Great Depression" of 2008 hit the nation, I could give a shipt; I had no worries whatsoever. We made some BIG money because the market crashed. Leverage is a great tool, but it must be used not only wisely, but prudently.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Kins13y
Instructor

I pulled a loan out on my Z06 because I'm 24, My Porsche was expensive to fix so I got the Z. I drive the car like I stole it, I've dumped a ton of money into it, I don't have much of a savings and I would do it all again. I have suffered a trans failure, and the infamous valve spring failure in less than a year of ownership. Its getting cammed this winter and has high mileage. I regret nothing haha.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dork
I think almost all of that is great advice. I'm *really* financially conservative though, and found your first limit ($100G's) startling; "...if you have a a hundred thousand or more sitting in an account, paying cash makes perfect sense." Even the second generalization--"However, if you have say 50K in your account, and you are making 70K plus a year, better to finance in any case." gave me the *******.

Financial prudence was ground into me by my elders during my college years. Childhood experiences (we were poor) reinforced it.

I don't think I'd pay cash for a car over $5G's if all I had was $100G's squirreled away. I'm not sure I'd advise financing anything over $10-15G's with a $50G account and $70G's-per-year job. True, in both cases the payments probably won't push the debt total past the 50-60% income rule you cite, but just as a WAG, I think my limit would be that the car's value probably wouldn't be any higher than 10-15% of my yearly gross.

Then again, I waited until I was in my late-30's for my first 'sports' car; thinking back, it's cost was ~15% of my net worth.

Paying cash comes with a lot of "penalties"--opportunity cost, loss of leverage(d money), and generally a smaller total in all accounts.

It has one GREAT advantage though and most of the time it's intangible--security. The nice thing about paying cash (if you can truly afford it) is that there's no specter of financial burden.

When I paid cash for my house, I did it with the decision that this was my retirement home, and I was retired. Income was going to be steady, but set; never increasing unless my mutual funds etc. pulled in a windfall. In this case, there's no reason to pay any interest especially since I could "afford" it. The general rule was, "there's no reason to take a risk." Hindsight made me content for once, in my financial practices. When the "Great Depression" of 2008 hit the nation, I could give a shipt; I had no worries whatsoever. We made some BIG money because the market crashed. Leverage is a great tool, but it must be used not only wisely, but prudently.
I think you make some good points - but also sound a little financially paranoid in addition to being conservative. I'm conservative as well, and save a good amount in my IRA(s), 401k, and in cash savings. However, I would NEVER recommend paying certain things upfront and outright and instead would recommend paying for them partially and then use your good credit for cheap financing instead for the balance. Why? Worst case scenario situations. Lose your job and get injured? Keep the cash let the banks/credit card companies, etc. bark all they want at you, you still have the cash. Cash in hand is always good to have. The cars and toys can all go back and the debts can be mitigated, but once the cash is gone - its gone. Sure you can sell stuff on your own, but why tie up all your liquid capital when you don't have to.

Now if you're near retirement age and/or found your "forever home" - I agree that is one thing that is prudent to be paid off in full. However, a good case study is pro athletes who buy million dollar homes only to sell them off in a couple years and sometimes take a bath big time - better to plop a 20 or 30% downpayment and play w/ the bank's money for the rest of the note.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:40 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by dork

It is all relative of course and depends upon your age and earning potential, among other factors. You make valid points as well. My info was to be used as a guide only, it cannot take into account all situations. The only rules that are prety much steadfast (for working individuals not close to retirement, unless retirement income is close to the same as your working pay) is:

1. Do not obligate yourself to over 50-60% of your bring home income. I am not talking short term income either. Steady measurable income.

2. Do not buy a home where the purchase price is more than 2-3 years of your income (ideal is 2/2.5 your annual gross income).

I would limit it to 2.5 times your annual gross income, but I realize this is impossible in some areas (like California or New York). In any case, If you go over 3.5 times your annual income (unless you are expecting some type of guranteed windfall in a short time period), you are going to get into deep trouble, FAST! During the housing bubble, lending institutions were going up to five times annual income. Ask those 5 times people how many lost the house, had to sell it, or feel like those walls are closing in on them financially. Of course rule of thumb is at least 20% down.

3. Pay yourself at least 10% of your income per month (savings).

Follow these general rules and you will have a comfortable life. Remember folks it is easy to over-extend yourself and hard to get out of it. How do I know? Ask my wife!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 PM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I can really appreciate this thread. If there is one thing I will spend money on, it's cars (and sometimes bikes). I battle daily with the "life's short" and "save every penny". I just bought my z06 and literally spent everything I have. I love these cars and said a few months ago, i am buying one. I am a co-op. I am still in grad school and know that my income is only going up. I live at home so I realize this will end too. I know it will all end so why not enjoy the z. I don't have a payment on it and absolutely hate owing anyone. And at this point, I do not have any debts in life.

My thoughts were, enjoy it for 2 years and then sell it. I realize I will lose a little (not too much) and can sell it for a downpayment on a house. I justified any loss from depreciation on smiles. Plus, I still need transportation. I will drive it daily until snow falls.

I figure as long as I invest in my 401k up to company match and continue to max out or come close to maxing out my Roth IRA then I am okay. It's worth it completely.

You are in a completely different situation as you definitely have the ability to buy it and not look back, but I still understand.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:01 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by tjschraf
I can really appreciate this thread. If there is one thing I will spend money on, it's cars (and sometimes bikes). I battle daily with the "life's short" and "save every penny". I just bought my z06 and literally spent everything I have. I love these cars and said a few months ago, i am buying one. I am a co-op. I am still in grad school and know that my income is only going up. I live at home so I realize this will end too. I know it will all end so why not enjoy the z. I don't have a payment on it and absolutely hate owing anyone. And at this point, I do not have any debts in life.

My thoughts were, enjoy it for 2 years and then sell it. I realize I will lose a little (not too much) and can sell it for a downpayment on a house. I justified any loss from depreciation on smiles. Plus, I still need transportation. I will drive it daily until snow falls.

I figure as long as I invest in my 401k up to company match and continue to max out or come close to maxing out my Roth IRA then I am okay. It's worth it completely.

You are in a completely different situation as you definitely have the ability to buy it and not look back, but I still understand.
You are kind of in a different situation, but the general rules apply. Since you have no rent, probably very little if any food bill, no utilitiy bills, etc, you can be a little more flexible. Don't know who is paying for school though, if you are then you have to factor that in.

All of us have to factor saving for the future verses qaulity of life. Having lived in the cycle where I could not rub two nickles together even after pay day verses the other living off about 60% of my income, I like the latter a whole lot better.

Most of us are going to hae emergency expenses we simply cannot count on or even control in our lifetimes. I have had to help both my kids out of very bad sitatuons and it has cost me a couple of Corvettes.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:40 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Like a fellow CF'r quoted recently:
Gentlemen, Life WONT WAIT FOR YOU. Sooner than we think, we'll get sick, and end up in a retirement/nursing home.

That's exactly why there is a Z16 parked in my garage. Floated a loan and happy as a clam.
A friend passed away, but before he did we talked him into buying a new C6. I'll never forget his glee and joy going out on drives.
Have another that is going fast, he wants a C7 Z06. Talked him out of it today as the delivery date is too far away.
We're going to a dealer as soon as he gets out of the hosp.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:00 AM
cmc
Advanced

Saving for the future vs quality life is what I struggle with. I am very conservative. With the extra money I pay on my house its 38% of my net. 10 % of gross go into retirement. 20% of net goes to savings. Then rest goes to utilities, food, and a little extra to spend.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:08 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Life is short and it's not that much $$$ in the big picture. Take out a loan and go buy your Z06 now....then enjoy w a huge smile on your face! You can have it for a long time and get it paid for....but live now.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I paid for my car in cash cause the whole out of state loan thing seemed like a pita. I didn't feel comfortable with how much cash i had on hand then(below my happy cash zero level) so i just went to a credit union and got an auto loan at 1.9% for half the value.

I took a 4 years cause that's what they had at the minimum 1.9 rate. paid it off in 13 months while keeping my savings account happy. Worked for me.

IMO the c5 is no longer an old rich mans toy. At 15-25k its a car anyone can own. I would have 2 if i lived down south. one for my track car one as a dd that was a vert. Which means its not unreasonable to buy it with a loan.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Socko

IMO the c5 is no longer an old rich mans toy. At 15-25k its a car anyone can own one.
I think this depends. If you're talking about just purchasing one as a daily primary driver then yes I would agree with you, anyone can buy one.

However, for people who are looking to add it as a 3rd car as just a "toy" that they would either track or just drive on sunny days then I think the number of people that could buy one is reduced greatly.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:51 AM
amlarson2001
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It all depends on what kind of car you want for a daily. I have a $600 ranger that has been running and driving for me for 5 years now with little into it. So as long as you dont need another 20k car it is very easy to afford a 15-20k vette. All about what you want to drive.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:30 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by amlarson2001
It all depends on what kind of car you want for a daily. I have a $600 ranger that has been running and driving for me for 5 years now with little into it. So as long as you dont need another 20k car it is very easy to afford a 15-20k vette. All about what you want to drive.
Yeah this is what i am talking about. I have a 12k note on my 2014 fiesta ST at 0% and a 23k vette that is paid for and a morgage on a small house and I still find ways to save some money making 60k.

Only rich people could consider that you must buy something as expensive as a car cash. c5's are not only for rich people now a days. Just a matter of priority. I would rather have a 130k house , 2 cars, and 5-6 track days a year then a 200k house and 1 car and no track days.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Debt for a vette?