Sponsored by:

[Z06] heads/cam or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:40 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default heads/cam or supercharger?

Hey guys, so I'm currently in the middle of piecing together a h/c/I for my 01 z06. I have the cam and fast manifold, I'm just waiting for the heads to be finished and assembled. They're ported/polished 243's with oversized valves and dual springs. As of late I've been tossing around the idea of going the boosted route instead though. I hear great things about the a&a kit, and was wondering if anyone has any input on the kit. I'm torn between keeping my plans or going the a&a route. Anyone who has tried both setups or has any input to help make my decision would be much appreciated! Obviously I know it's ultimately my choice, but before I spend all this money I want to feel like I made the right choice. This is mostly a weekend cruiser and only sees a few thousand miles a year with the occasional track day
Old 07-24-2014, 06:20 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by slow01z06
Hey guys, so I'm currently in the middle of piecing together a h/c/I for my 01 z06. I have the cam and fast manifold, I'm just waiting for the heads to be finished and assembled. They're ported/polished 243's with oversized valves and dual springs. As of late I've been tossing around the idea of going the boosted route instead though. I hear great things about the a&a kit, and was wondering if anyone has any input on the kit. I'm torn between keeping my plans or going the a&a route. Anyone who has tried both setups or has any input to help make my decision would be much appreciated! Obviously I know it's ultimately my choice, but before I spend all this money I want to feel like I made the right choice. This is mostly a weekend cruiser and only sees a few thousand miles a year with the occasional track day
Hey slow01z06- I think you will get some folks to chime in here for sure. I can't comment as I don't have either but am just a bit behind you in that I am deciding on supercharge or turbo this winter... I would say though that you will get some help in the F/I section if you post the same thread for sure. Lots of folks over in that section don't view the other sections. Even more of them have been both routes you are considering.. Worth a shot for sure! Good luck and can't wait to see what you end up doing!

Taryn
Old 07-24-2014, 06:44 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Been there, done that... You've already committed to the H/C/I route, so you might as well enjoy that ride until... something breaks, or you get bored with the power, and throw on that A&A kit. Then for sure; something will break, and so on, down that familiar, expensive, path. It's fun and educational, and many have trod similar directions. Good luck with your journey.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Supercharge it all the way, by the time you spend money on parts, porting, installation you are already at SC kit money..h/c/i is great but not even close to what A&A kit will give you
Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by zeevette
Been there, done that... You've already committed to the H/C/I route, so you might as well enjoy that ride until... something breaks, or you get bored with the power, and throw on that A&A kit. Then for sure; something will break, and so on, down that familiar, expensive, path. It's fun and educational, and many have trod similar directions. Good luck with your journey.
Agree 100%
Old 07-24-2014, 10:48 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

Thanks for the replies guys. That's what I'm starting to think myself. I know h/c will be fun but supercharging it will be a whole new level. 500hp in a car that weighs 3250 with me in it will be a blast no doubt... And I could sell off my parts pretty easily to start the a&a fund. Someone talk me out of it! Haha jk
Old 07-25-2014, 12:01 PM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I went the N/A route and enjoyed it until getting bored with it and put the A&A kit on.

I wouldn't change what I did. I enjoyed the car at each step/ HP progression and learned a lot doing it.

My opinion, put your heads, intake, and cam in and supercharge it down the road.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:46 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I plan on going straight to A&A then do cam/heads for the blower after.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:10 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Originally Posted by envyz06
I plan on going straight to A&A then do cam/heads for the blower after.
Then, you're going straight to the "break something" phase?
Old 07-25-2014, 02:45 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by ggroller
I went the N/A route and enjoyed it until getting bored with it and put the A&A kit on.

I wouldn't change what I did. I enjoyed the car at each step/ HP progression and learned a lot doing it.

My opinion, put your heads, intake, and cam in and supercharge it down the road.
I would rather do one or the other and leave the car how it is. For my needs having h/c with a blower is almost overkill and I'd have to start building the rear end and trans
Old 07-25-2014, 03:01 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If it were me, I'd go with a blower than H/C. Much better HP per dollar ratio.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:31 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I hear no one talking about forging the bottom end.....

You guys talk like you can add all this hp to that little LS6 and it'll keep taking it... lol
Old 07-25-2014, 11:51 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

I'm only looking for a 450-500 streetable car that I can drive reliably. I think my power goals should be more than capable for a stock bottom end ls6
Old 07-26-2014, 01:11 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

pros and cons

boost will make more power and do so easier

heads and cam is going to be a lot better if you track the car, temps will be easier to control, you also won't have detonation issues

if you just want a drag car or hot rod, go boost

if you want to spin the car up and run extended periods stay NA

if you have e85 in your area boost would start making a lot of sense even with limited HPDE events
Old 07-27-2014, 11:42 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I would go with a supercharger over H/C/I package as you'll get more HP, better MPG, and much better drivability. We've sold and installed WAY more superchargers than HCI for the reasons above. PLUS a supercharger is easier to install yourself than a HCI. If your interested in a supercharger give me a call and I'll give you a smoking price... and we offer 1 year 0% financing.
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 07-27-2014, 12:58 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by TPSMak
I would go with a supercharger over H/C/I package as you'll get more HP, better MPG, and much better drivability. We've sold and installed WAY more superchargers than HCI for the reasons above. PLUS a supercharger is easier to install yourself than a HCI. If your interested in a supercharger give me a call and I'll give you a smoking price... and we offer 1 year 0% financing.
Pm sent!
Old 07-27-2014, 01:02 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by racebum
pros and cons

boost will make more power and do so easier

heads and cam is going to be a lot better if you track the car, temps will be easier to control, you also won't have detonation issues

if you just want a drag car or hot rod, go boost

if you want to spin the car up and run extended periods stay NA

if you have e85 in your area boost would start making a lot of sense even with limited HPDE events
E85 is actually readily available in my area, which was another reason I though about boosting it

Get notified of new replies

To heads/cam or supercharger?

Old 07-27-2014, 02:45 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by slow01z06
E85 is actually readily available in my area, which was another reason I though about boosting it
oh perfect. now you just have to decide on a clutch, injectors, and radiator to use along with it.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 PM
zeevette
Race Director

oh perfect. now you just have to decide on a clutch, injectors, and radiator to use along with it.
, but

Your SC kit will come with the proper injectors, but I would HIGHLY recommend a cut-down extra capacity radiator for your installation. Temp control, and fuel pressure are key elements to a longer life stock block. Your stock clutch will not last. Also, your drivetrain will become a weak link, so mounts, braces, and upgraded diff/trans may be in your future.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:13 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

The car does have an aftermarket radiator that the previous owner installed. I honestly can't remember what brand it is off the top of my head

Quick Reply: [Z06] heads/cam or supercharger?