[Z06] heads/cam or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:25 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
, but

Your SC kit will come with the proper injectors, but I would HIGHLY recommend a cut-down extra capacity radiator for your installation. Temp control, and fuel pressure are key elements to a longer life stock block. Your stock clutch will not last. Also, your drivetrain will become a weak link, so mounts, braces, and upgraded diff/trans may be in your future.
how could it? they builder of the kit won't know the intended hp, what gas is being used or much of anything else. if the vendor sells injectors based on what the customer says that's cool and one thing but you need something like 30-40% more injector to run e85 vs pump gas

for example, doing some quick math. 550 crank hp will uses a 45lb injector to hit a 90% duty cycle. going to e85 you would jump to a 68-70lb hr injector. there are a LOT of 750cc injectors on the market too which would support his hp goal. if he used the 45lb injectors on e85 the car would max out the injectors around 380hp
Old 07-28-2014, 01:51 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
how could it? they builder of the kit won't know the intended hp, what gas is being used or much of anything else. if the vendor sells injectors based on what the customer says that's cool and one thing but you need something like 30-40% more injector to run e85 vs pump gas

for example, doing some quick math. 550 crank hp will uses a 45lb injector to hit a 90% duty cycle. going to e85 you would jump to a 68-70lb hr injector. there are a LOT of 750cc injectors on the market too which would support his hp goal. if he used the 45lb injectors on e85 the car would max out the injectors around 380hp
My kit from A&A came with 60s, and if you tell Andy what you're plans are, he can tailor the kit to the individual's requirements. Great service, and they're also flexible.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:30 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Been there. Installed heads, cam and LT's first but the A & A Supercharger Kit will provide you 140+ rwhp for the most power per dollar invested.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:05 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Been there. Installed heads, cam and LT's first but the A & A Supercharger Kit will provide you 140+ rwhp for the most power per dollar invested.
As much as I love the way a cammed car sounds... I would 500-600RWHP from a basically stock car that drives like a stock car until you get on it.
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 07-31-2014, 07:09 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had a buddy of mine trying to steer me away from boost. He's got a kenne bell cobra and is always having small issues with it. He blames it on the boost, I blame it on the Ford
Old 08-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by slow01z06
Ive had a buddy of mine trying to steer me away from boost. He's got a kenne bell cobra and is always having small issues with it. He blames it on the boost, I blame it on the Ford
blame it on the heatpump. Don't blame that on boost in general. PD blowers are less then optimal on large displacement cars in almost anyones opinion. Unless your goal is to burn through multiple sets of tires a season, centri kits are superior as you at least have a chance to stick some rcomps and you aren't heat soaking like mad.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:17 AM
slow01z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Socko
blame it on the heatpump. Don't blame that on boost in general. PD blowers are less then optimal on large displacement cars in almost anyones opinion. Unless your goal is to burn through multiple sets of tires a season, centri kits are superior as you at least have a chance to stick some rcomps and you aren't heat soaking like mad.
Valid point
Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 PM
z06Maniac
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
pros and cons

boost will make more power and do so easier

heads and cam is going to be a lot better if you track the car, temps will be easier to control, you also won't have detonation issues

if you just want a drag car or hot rod, go boost

if you want to spin the car up and run extended periods stay NA

if you have e85 in your area boost would start making a lot of sense even with limited HPDE events
Sounds like sound advice.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:04 AM
Shane1974
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I was trying to help with before, hp is addictive. If you decide to go heads and cam and then get used to your new found power......You are going to add a blower and then buy another cam. The whole thing revolves around the cam and comp. ratio. It is the heart of the motor. Everyone says they want 500 hp......for six months.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:08 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shane1974
As I was trying to help with before, hp is addictive. If you decide to go heads and cam and then get used to your new found power......You are going to add a blower and then buy another cam. The whole thing revolves around the cam and comp. ratio. It is the heart of the motor. Everyone says they want 500 hp......for six months.
I know it's addicting, hell speed in general is addicting. But if I end up doing a h/c setup plus a blower I'm talking about basically building the entire car around all that power. Trans, most likely the rear end, and probably forging the bottom end at that point. I don't wanna turn the car into a fully built drag car. I see the track maybe 3 times a year if I'm lucky. And by the time I'm done spending all that money I'd rather pocket it, sell the car, and slap it on a c6z
Old 08-04-2014, 10:22 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by slow01z06
I know it's addicting, hell speed in general is addicting. But if I end up doing a h/c setup plus a blower I'm talking about basically building the entire car around all that power. Trans, most likely the rear end, and probably forging the bottom end at that point. I don't wanna turn the car into a fully built drag car. I see the track maybe 3 times a year if I'm lucky. And by the time I'm done spending all that money I'd rather pocket it, sell the car, and slap it on a c6z
Bolt on a supercharger kit, enjoy the hell out of it and be done if you have the discipline. More power cost more money and I agree about upgrading to C6z where the entire car is upgraded. If that is feasible now you may want to consider that instead of modding your C5.

Quick Reply: [Z06] heads/cam or supercharger?