Sponsored by:

[Z06] Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:07 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Windshield Replacement

Anyone use Safelite to replace their windshield?
Old 07-14-2014, 06:54 AM
FLZapped
Racer

hmmmm....guess not.....
Old 07-14-2014, 11:21 AM
car_ramrod
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FLZapped - I just had my windshield replaced and almost went with Safelite. I have used them in the past and they do good work, but they do not use OEM glass, and in Florida they do not do "labor only" work (ie you purchase GM glass and have them replace it).

Freddy at Car Craft Collision in Dania is finishing up the work on my car today. I had the windshield replaced and he also replaced all of the weatherstripping, moldings, and retainers that were causing the dreaded A-pillar water leak in my Z06. He went out of his way to make sure my insurance company covered the OEM glass. Freddy is a Corvette guy that others on the forum have vouched for. I can tell you that not only is his work top notch, but customer service is second to none. If you are inclined to go somewhere other than Safelite to get the job done, check Freddy out: http://carcraftcollision.net/
Old 07-14-2014, 12:39 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think a reason you need OEM glass is so the HUD works properly. I have read somewhere before with people having issues with that. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:33 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

The HUD will work with a regular C5 replacement glass, however, it won't be of the 4mm thickness that the Z06's have...

I remember reading that on the forum somewhere about the regular C5 windshield on a Z06 working with the HUD. If you think about, even the regular C5's have HUD's...
Old 07-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

You can get non OEM glass that works with the HUD. GM doesn't sell the original glass used during production so anything you get will be non-OEM glass. The biggest problem with the glass is the Z06 windshield is lighter and due to lack of demand may not be available at all.

As for installation make sure the insurance company includes a complete set of new weatherstrips for the replacement. To replace the windshield you need to remove the side glass weatherstrip that fits to the A pillar and the roof. If you don't get new weatherstrip it is highly possible you will have leaks around the replacement windshield. GM makes a special sealing compound if you do get leaks but you need an experienced Corvette Body Technician that has the knowledge to know what to order. Also tell the repair people you want them to keep the anti blow out clips from the old weatherstripping. The clips haven't been available from GM for at least 6 years.

I went through this PIA in 2007 and 2008. In 07 I cracked the windshield in my 03Z when I was trying to remove the mirror. Had it replaced by a reputable auto glass company in my local area. Afterwards, I was driving the car in the rain and noticed water coming down both A pillars from the area where the door glass intersects with the top and A pillar. I took it back to the shop and the guy tried to stop the leaks by using black RTV. After 7 more trips over the next 7 months he told me he couldn't stop the leaks and didn't want to work on the car again. That is when I went back to State Farm and complained about the repair (by the way I had chosen the shop). This was about 3 months after the start of the new year and they said "Why didn't you tell us you were having problems?" Immediately they had a damage appraiser come to look at the car. He found several problems with the installation recommended replacement of the replacement windshield, new weatherstrip. State Farm went after the previous shop to get their money back and told me to find another. I went with the shop the dealer recommended. They actually did the replacement in the dealer's shop and the billing was done by the dealer. Once done I had another leak. I went back to the dealer and the body shop estimator said we'll have John look at it. John was the guy who painted my 1971 Vette back in 1983 and he was probably one of the best painters in the area. He took a look told me he had to order some things and to bring the car back in 3 days. He ordered the GM sealant and when I left the shop with the car there were no more leaks.

The reason I mentioned that GM doesn't sell the original glass anymore is back in 2008 the dealer wasn't able to get that glass any more. Six years later it will be even harder to find it. They ordered several windshields from GM but none of them were marked the same way the original glass was marked. Once the Service Parts organization takes over managing replacement parts there is no guarantee they will even order the glass from the same manufacturer two times in a row. All they care about is whether the glass is manufactured to their spec and how much it costs.

Bill
Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Well that all sounds rather depressing. I suppose if the company that makes the glass actually makes it to OEM spec, there shouldn't be a problem, but I can certainly understand the quality control concerns that might crop up.

I guess I'll give the guy in Dania a call today, he's not too far from where I work.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:55 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I used Safelite a couple months ago and they were great. It is a BIG job on a C5, a lot has to be taken apart, so I did it in their shop. HUD works the same as it did with the original glass..
Old 07-16-2014, 10:09 AM
eddiebroadway
7th Gear

Last night my glassman buddy installed a new windshield in my 2001 coupe with HUD. I could get the HUD glass thru the dealer for $760.00 ($1280 retail!) or choose a non-HUD for $130.00 (cost). My HUD was not that clear with the OEM windshield so I decided to try the non HUD after reading many others on this forum had done the same and the HUD worked fine. I am glad to report that the image is sharper than before!
My friend has 25+ years of installing glass and is an artist. We did not disturb the upper corners of the factory weatherstrip where it it sealed with butyl chalk, just the small area under the sides of the dash. the job took 2.5 hours but looks perfect. Thankful for good deals and friends with talent!
Old 07-16-2014, 10:38 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Originally Posted by JETninja
I used Safelite a couple months ago and they were great. It is a BIG job on a C5, a lot has to be taken apart, so I did it in their shop. HUD works the same as it did with the original glass..
Do you know if they used new seals?? How long did they have your car?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:55 AM
eddiebroadway
7th Gear

I should add last year I spent 26 hours assembling his stock car engine
Old 07-17-2014, 11:48 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by FLZapped
Do you know if they used new seals?? How long did they have your car?
They will if they are needed, I stayed in the garage with them the entire time. Since my M3 has been down, I have driven the Vette all raining months here, no leaks at all.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:25 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Took the car over to Freddy. Then spent another 45 minutes haggling with the insurance company, after I already had told them they must spec OEM. The "pricing" department just ignored that and priced out non OEM - which wouldn't even cover the cost of the part.....brother. Anyway, part comes in 5 days. We shall see how the rest of this goes.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Replacement

Quick Reply: [Z06] Windshield Replacement