Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Which is faster? stock C6Z or C5Z 450whp..

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Mig233
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dagon138
I'm sure the number is matched or exceeded by C5 Z06's with stock springs. Mine were actually fine at 75k miles, but I changed them out when doing a bigger cam.

The thing about the LS7's issues that's a bit scary is and the fix is expensive and theoretically hurts performance (heavy SS valves). Plus affected years is huge compared to the LS6's valve spring issue. 01's and 04's can rest easy, if I had any year LS7 I'd be worried.
Well, the scariest thing is that the root cause has not been determined. Is it a valve guide issue (material)? Is it a hollow valve stem issue? Is it a sodium filled valve issue? Is it a geometry issue? No one knows for certain...so the "fix" right now is to change all of the variables at once: Solid SS valves with bronze guides.

Personally, I was never one to just start throwing parts at a project hoping for a cure. I also wouldn't be willing to drop several thousands of dollars on a "fix" that does not have significant real world testing. How often do people drive their LS7s???
Old 07-24-2014, 10:13 PM
quickc5zo6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone knows of a BONE STOCK C6Z in the Chicagoland area that would like to run my C5Z lemme know! I make 430 RWHP.
This is not a callout me thinking i can beat one. Just to see how a 430 RWHP C5Z would do against a BONE STOCK C6Z.

Results will be reported to this thread. I think i'll get pulled on in the top top end, but not that hard. I could be wrong.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:29 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bud miller
if ya want more performance, sell the c5 and get a c6, saves a lot of money and head ache.
Maybe it saves you money in mods but it's still gonna cost ya a minimum $15-$20+k more to by the C6Z
Old 07-25-2014, 11:15 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mig233
Well, the scariest thing is that the root cause has not been determined. Is it a valve guide issue (material)? Is it a hollow valve stem issue? Is it a sodium filled valve issue? Is it a geometry issue? No one knows for certain...so the "fix" right now is to change all of the variables at once: Solid SS valves with bronze guides.

Personally, I was never one to just start throwing parts at a project hoping for a cure. I also wouldn't be willing to drop several thousands of dollars on a "fix" that does not have significant real world testing. How often do people drive their LS7s???
Agreed. It seems like this is something that has to be checked every couple of years or so to make sure that the "fix" is working.

Having driven a C6 Z06 though, they are badass. The torque is amazing.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Which is faster? stock C6Z or C5Z 450whp..