Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] BFg rivals opinions please

Old 06-27-2014, 01:55 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Default BFg rivals opinions please

Anybody using the rivals stock sizes on your Z,opinions ,comparisons to the nittos or Bridgestone re 760's
Thx
Old 06-27-2014, 02:31 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

they don't come in stock sizes, they come in stock size

night and day different tire than the 760. the 760 is an old man cruiser tire with numb steering and low limits

the rival is a dry only, should be warm, basically hard compound street/track tire

the nt05 is a little less grippy than the rival but does come in near stock sizes 295/275 and the 295 is tall and 275 a bit short making them totally compatible with the factory tcs
Old 06-27-2014, 04:56 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Cruisers, huh....
I,ve owned 3 c5z's over the yrs,done nitto 555r2's,nitto invos, michelin ps2's,and of course F1's,so far after 6kmiles,the RE 760's have been great on the street,and hook great for a stock z. I don't track my cars other than occasionally,but have done a great deal of spirited driving.
Paid $900 out the door for the RE 760's. At discount
I'm just looking at any suggestions for street in stock sizes....anybody

Last edited by bud miller; 06-27-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:03 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by bud miller
Cruisers, huh....
I,ve owned 3 c5z's over the yrs,done nitto 555r2's,nitto invos, michelin ps2's,and of course F1's,so far after 6kmiles,the RE 760's have been great on the street,and hook great for a stock z. I don't track my cars other than occasionally,but have done a great deal of spirited driving.
there are none, you have them

really not kidding, even the ps2 which technically comes in stock sizes uses different compounds in those two tires

the real upgrade is moving to 19/18 wheels so you can run the michelin pss or other modern tires. the pss is really something to. they wear excellent, are insanely fast in the rain, very predictable in corners, great steering response and easily blow past 1g in corners

if you like spirited driving you'll have a lot more enjoyment on the pss. it doesn't need to be hot like many extreme tires and they won't snap out from under you like the 760s do at the limit. you'll also have a greatly improved steering response. my two biggest complaints on the 760 are

1. the soft sidewall, it kills steering response
2. the compound, it's a bit unpredictable and breaks away quickly at the limit
Old 06-27-2014, 05:03 PM
racebum
Race Director

Cruisers, huh....
there are none, you have them

really not kidding, even the ps2 which technically comes in stock sizes uses different compounds in those two tires, the 760 and f1 supercar are the only other 295/265 tires produced

the real upgrade is moving to 19/18 wheels so you can run the michelin pss or other modern tires. the pss is really something to. they wear excellent, are insanely fast in the rain, very predictable in corners, great steering response and easily blow past 1g in dry corners

if you like spirited driving you'll have a lot more enjoyment on the pss. it doesn't need to be hot like many extreme tires and they won't snap out from under you like the 760s do at the limit. you'll also have a greatly improved steering response. my two biggest complaints on the 760 are

1. the soft sidewall, it kills steering response
2. the compound, it's a bit unpredictable and breaks away quickly at the limit
Old 06-27-2014, 05:26 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Ok,I've run. 18/19's on c5z in the past..for the street it was stupid, ride etc...
So I guess you answered my interest in what's available for stock sizes for street,
Thx
Old 06-27-2014, 06:33 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was wondering what going to 18/19's would be like. I mean that's extra unsprung weight and tiny sidewalls and a ton of $$$ all for little to no improved performance?

I am probably one of the few that like the C5Z stock wheels (looks and size). I hope more tires become available in the near future for us.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:51 PM
racebum
Race Director

Ok,I've run. 18/19's on c5z in the past..for the street it was stupid, ride etc...
So I guess you answered my interest in what's available for stock sizes for street,
Thx
basically, if things like "comfort" are on your list of wants in tires there's only one tire that fits the bill and you already have it. also true that the shorter sidewalls of the 19/18 while helping steering response, do make the car a bit more rough if things like that matter to you. the only reason i would not recommend the ps2 is the compound difference. the n4 used in the 295 35 18 was made for a rear heavy porsche and i'm really not sure how it would behave on a z06, might be okay, might not. wouldn't want to spend $1400 to find out. years ago the ps2 was offered in the same compound as the 265 40 17 out back as well as the porsche N compounds, now, michelin cut the regular and only produces the porsche compound in 295 35 18. the other choice, the supercar, really sucks, i don't even like the 760 and i would buy them over the supercars. the supercar is okay when new but really goes to hell in about a year, traction falls off fast and the tires is dangerous in the wet. the conti DW is also ran by some guys, it's comfy, faster than a 760 and good in the wet, BUT, it's 295/275 and the front 275 is FAT unlike the nt05 which fits wonderful. there are technically TCS issues with the DW as well as it's right on the borderline of what the F/R split should be height wise. the nt05 on the other hand passes with flying colors and works well. much faster tire than your 760 but also noisier and with a more firm sidewall which means better steering, worse ride comfort

Originally Posted by 04silverZ06
I was wondering what going to 18/19's would be like. I mean that's extra unsprung weight and tiny sidewalls and a ton of $$$ all for little to no improved performance?

I am probably one of the few that like the C5Z stock wheels (looks and size). I hope more tires become available in the near future for us.
it's not the weight issue, it's the tire issue. if better tires were made for the OE wheels i certainly wouldn't have went 19/18. the only reason some of us go 19/18 is for the compounds. the better compounds and casing far more than offset the slight weight penalty of the larger wheels. new cars are what drive the tire market and 265 40 17 especially is obsolete and was almost never spec'd even 10 years ago. history says as time goes on there will be fewer choices for OE wheels, not more

Last edited by racebum; 06-27-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To BFg rivals opinions please

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] BFg rivals opinions please