Sponsored by:

[Z06] Rear View Mirror White LED Mod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 05:40 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 278 Posts

Default Rear View Mirror White LED Mod Questions

Hey.. I saw a few prior threads on switching all the interior lights over to white LED's. However Some mentioned issues with replacing the stock amber/blue LED's in the rear view mirror doesnt always work prefect - for example not correctly dimming, some LED's brighter than others, etc.

Does anyone have voltage/amperage measurements and/or a circuit diagram I can look at for this? I am an EE and I was just curious if there has already been work trying to figure out how to "correctly" switch the circuit over to white LED's (adding resistors, modding the PCB, etc). Aftermarket white LED's have a slightly different voltage drop than the stock ones so I'm pretty sure that's where there is a slight difference in behavior.

Any circuit documents floating around the forum?

I found this off of http://www.spdkilz.com/techtipledrearviewmirror.html

"[Note] There currently is a lot of discussion about the rearview mirror circuitry. It has been found out that the outer two rows (which housed the amber LEDs) have a lower voltage than the inner row (which housed the green LEDs). This causes the four outer LEDs to not light up at full brightness (when putting in the new LEDs), while the middle two light up fully (and are extremely bright). There has been talk of modifying the circuit board to have a single higher voltage to fix this problem. For now, though, nothing has been resolved. Therefore, if you run into this problem it is normal to have dimmer LEDs on the sides. HOWEVER, I stumbled across something strange. On one of my circuit boards, one of the outer LEDs burnt out on me (no idea how). The strange thing is that with one of the four outer LEDs burnt out, the other three in return lit up just as bright as the inner two. I was curious to see if this was some strange fluke or not, so I purposefully burnt out one of the LEDs on the other circuit board and tested that one out. Sure enough, the remaining three LEDs were just as bright as the inner two. Therefore, I actually chose to have only five of my six LEDs light up, because in reality it is brighter having that one burnt out (and having the other five light up fully) than having all six LEDs light up (and have four not light up fully). It is really up to you on what you want to do. You may prefer it to not be as bright, or you may not want an LED to be burnt out (though you cannot tell). Experiment a bit and see what suits you. I just though I would tell you guys this so you can decide for yourself."

and this:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ap-lights.html

Thanks.

Last edited by mammoth713; 05-26-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:25 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Normal lights work perfect for me.

For headlights HID is "the upgrade".

Quick Reply: [Z06] Rear View Mirror White LED Mod Questions