Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] 02 Z mods/tuner questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:40 PM
apollo240
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, think ive pretty much decided on the mods.

Vararam, antivenom ported tb, tsp lt's, no cat's, borla stingers. Would eventually like to get a FAST intake manifold. Waaaayyyyyyyy down the road, tsp torquer v2, ported heads.

Sooner than later want to start with vr, tb, lt's and x. Just not sure if i want to do the stingers before or after the lt's. Id like to hear the lt's with stock ti's first, but dont want to drive around with codes bc of the o/r x. I want to get everything on then tune it. I think its going to be either antivenom or fasterproms. Im thinking about trying to sell my stock manifold and spend half as much for a fast intake. But in that case would it be better to wait on the tb? Get a bigger one or what.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:24 PM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

I would go with the Vararam, long tube headers, X pipe and the stingers Or any low restriction mufflers. The stock mufflers will take away some of the gains from the long tube headers.

With a stock cam and stock heads you wont see that much of a gain over an LS6 manifold and the stock TB that would justify the thousand plus bucks the FAST manifold will set you back.

The FAST 92 with a 92 mm TB is good combo for when you get worked heads. Wont do much now...
Old 05-21-2014, 10:40 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by warren s
I would go with the Vararam, long tube headers, X pipe and the stingers Or any low restriction mufflers. The stock mufflers will take away some of the gains from the long tube headers.

With a stock cam and stock heads you wont see that much of a gain over an LS6 manifold and the stock TB that would justify the thousand plus bucks the FAST manifold will set you back.

The FAST 92 with a 92 mm TB is good combo for when you get worked heads. Wont do much now...
The stock mufflers are not going to "take away gains" from headers, they're not that restrictive - hell you won't even see that much of a difference between LT's w/ hi-flo cats vs. LT's no cats, and cats are a much more restrictive pinch point in the exhaust system than mufflers.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 PM
slsnider423
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a 2003 Z06 that I purchased from another forum member. It ran fairly well when I received it, but I did come up with a "To Do" list of items I wanted to address. I noticed that the engine seemed to be "missing" during steady cruising. I finally took the car to Scotty's Southwest Corvettes in Albuquerque. Bottom line - I replaced the LG longtubes with Kook's 1 3/4" headers with catted X-pipe running through the stock Ti's. Scotty also replaced a bunch of melted O2 sensors & wiring and did a thorough tune. Scotty also worked on the shifter - it was getting really hard to shift! - and reinstalled the stock shifter.

I got the car back Monday but didn't have time to really test it until today. Wow! The tune, new headers, and TLC really made a difference! This Z06 moves! It also has a Vararam intake. I'd say the combination of Vararam intake, longtube headers with X-pipe, and a good tune makes all the difference.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:20 AM
apollo240
Racer

Originally Posted by slsnider423
I have a 2003 Z06 that I purchased from another forum member. It ran fairly well when I received it, but I did come up with a "To Do" list of items I wanted to address. I noticed that the engine seemed to be "missing" during steady cruising. I finally took the car to Scotty's Southwest Corvettes in Albuquerque. Bottom line - I replaced the LG longtubes with Kook's 1 3/4" headers with catted X-pipe running through the stock Ti's. Scotty also replaced a bunch of melted O2 sensors & wiring and did a thorough tune. Scotty also worked on the shifter - it was getting really hard to shift! - and reinstalled the stock shifter.

I got the car back Monday but didn't have time to really test it until today. Wow! The tune, new headers, and TLC really made a difference! This Z06 moves! It also has a Vararam intake. I'd say the combination of Vararam intake, longtube headers with X-pipe, and a good tune makes all the difference.
Bad tune maybe?

Whatcha gonna do with them lg's??
Old 05-22-2014, 02:24 AM
apollo240
Racer

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
The stock mufflers are not going to "take away gains" from headers, they're not that restrictive - hell you won't even see that much of a difference between LT's w/ hi-flo cats vs. LT's no cats, and cats are a much more restrictive pinch point in the exhaust system than mufflers.
Like your s/n a lot btw. I grew up with dobes. Zeus is my current boy.

Im thinking the catback is a well needed change. I hear every little noise and get nervous. Loud exhaust should help with that.

I was thinking to help with drone of building my own partition. I wanted to cover it in dynamat and also put a layer of dyna mat under the carpets where the partition slides in. Then i may be back to hearing every other noise the car makes lol. Not that it makes a lot, but any little thing and Im like "wtf was/is that"
Old 05-22-2014, 09:10 AM
slsnider423
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by apollo240
Bad tune maybe?

Whatcha gonna do with them lg's??
Hi there. The LG's have been sold to a fellow up in the Midwest. Regarding the tune.....one of the car's previous owners did say that the tune was a mix of things. When Scotty had the car tuned, he said that the tuner cleared out a bunch of stuff. So a bad tune may indeed have been part of the problem. It's fixed now!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:15 AM
slsnider423
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Also....I found that the combination of Kook's LT headers, X-pipe, and factory Ti catbacks sounded great. It's not too loud when at idle or while cruising, but screams at WOT. No drone noted.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:48 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Also....I found that the combination of Kook's LT headers, X-pipe, and factory Ti catbacks sounded great. It's not too loud when at idle or while cruising, but screams at WOT. No drone noted.
I have this combo with a small cam and it is almost perfect. No drone, not obnoxious and sounds great at WOT.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:12 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Note on the 160 themostat.

The stat adds no power but allows you not to operate in the temp ranges where you will experience a power loss. When the car gets to temps above 200, then you will lose some power and decreased performance due to timing considerations.

Those that posted that you would need to include the fan temp recalc as part of your tune are correct. Without changing the fan speed (or when the fans come on), the 160 degree stat will not help. It will allow the coolant to flow at lower temps, but will not prevent the higher temps from coming on during normal driving unless the fans are calibrated as well.

You can also run a little more aggessive timing with the lower temps.

Since you will need a custom tune with the Vararam and Exhaust changes, you might as well do this at the same time. Only cost approx 70.00 for the stat (depending upon whether you want the housing as well), and while you are getting the additional work done, might as well go for it. Some go with a 170-180 stat, which allows the car to idle better under normal conditions.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:09 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

383HP 358TQ: Colorado
* LS7 Exhaust (manifolds, DP's ,H-pipe) Stock Ti mufflers
* Vortec Rammer CAI
* Aftermarket Airbridge w/ Power coupler and Halltech MAF screen
* Custom Dyno Tune (+13hp +10tq from tune after mods installed)

It will take a small cam to get 400+.

Make sure you clean the radiator every year or so.. gets plugged with junk (between radiator and AC condenser). I run stock T-stat, wouldnt be bad to go cooler if you live in a hot area.. Colorado does not get terribly hot. I will upgrade the radiator if it starts to heat up rather then a lower temp stat, the radiator doeskin keep up with the heat in most cases.

Last edited by RedZMonte; 05-22-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:27 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by danziger
I have this combo with a small cam and it is almost perfect. No drone, not obnoxious and sounds great at WOT.
I have this exact combo with a medium cam, heads, and a 102 FAST fed by a Halltech and agree completely

Sounds great at idle, no drone, rips at full throttle
Old 05-23-2014, 12:12 AM
apollo240
Racer

I live in Orlando, so it gets kinda hot at times lol. Im considering the stat but again, thatd be closer to the time I get it tuned. I think a shop told me the stat isnt a big deal but truthfully I cant remember. Depending how the rest of the week plays out I may order the intake. Or just wait a little bit and get the exhaust. I really want more sound. Everytime I drive my gf's cobra it makes me jealous. Shes got catted x, and magnaflow catback.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:27 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I made the below on a dynojet with Blackwing, Stingers, and a tune.

So adding headers you might get there...Another thing is maybe an underdrive pulley. I have a ATI 10% but that was added during my recent heads&cam work.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:44 AM
apollo240
Racer

That looks pretty good. Actually, I would probably be very happy with those numbers. Assing you made about 360 stock, thats a very nice gain for intake, catback, and tune. I dont have to make 400, as nice as it would be. I was starting to consider saving the money for header and just getting a catted x with the borlas but truthfully, I want headers lol. I really need to hear the lt's, borlas, stock cam, up close. See how I feel about cats.

Last edited by apollo240; 05-23-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:39 PM
apollo240
Racer

Ok. So without starting a war...valve springs. Im considering changing them out. Im also considering a cam as well. Im not sure. If I did just the springs, is there anything else I could replace and make a little power?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:23 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by apollo240
Ok. So without starting a war...valve springs. Im considering changing them out. Im also considering a cam as well. Im not sure. If I did just the springs, is there anything else I could replace and make a little power?
Technically, you could put in different ratio rockers for a slight bump in power, but I wouldn't; I would just do a medium cam instead.

Get notified of new replies

To 02 Z mods/tuner questions

Old 05-26-2014, 01:36 PM
10sec89
Advanced

I too am in Florida. I have a 02 Z. Made 398rwhp/391 rwtq with LG Pro long tubes and x-pipe, flowmaster cat back, SLP Blackwing filter and a tune.
I just completed a cam swap this weekend and am now working on tuning. hoping for 440ish.
New cam.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:00 PM
apollo240
Racer

Well... Ive decided i want to do the valve springs first. A shop quoted me 650 for pac's installed. Im considering doing them myself. My buddies a mechanic so we could do it. Just comparing options. Whats the best place to order the parts. I can only find individual springs. I was hoping to find a kit.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:24 PM
apollo240
Racer

Originally Posted by 10sec89
I too am in Florida. I have a 02 Z. Made 398rwhp/391 rwtq with LG Pro long tubes and x-pipe, flowmaster cat back, SLP Blackwing filter and a tune.
I just completed a cam swap this weekend and am now working on tuning. hoping for 440ish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMzU...Be4IYqf5EK67kw
New cam.
02 C5 Z06 - YouTube
Beautiful car. I like the way it sounds too. So you did all the work yourself? Who tuned it?

Quick Reply: [Z06] 02 Z mods/tuner questions