Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Completed my "Budget Bigger Brake Kit" and Other Goodies Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 02:06 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Completed my "Budget Bigger Brake Kit" and Other Goodies Installed!

Gentlemen,

Like many of you, I've never been a big fan of the tiny rear brakes on this car, especially with a large 19" open-wheel design.

I did a ton of research and went back and forth on multiple set-ups: C6Z's were at the top of my list until I found out they wouldn't clear my current wheels. I also contemplated Baer Eradispeeds +2 set-up but ultimately never truly felt they were worth the $1,400 price tag just for rotors alone. That's already pushing into C6Z brake territory when all is said and done.

So, my next logical plan was stepping up to C6 Z51 sizes. Ultimately, I decided to go with C6 Z51-sized DBA T3 4000 series front and rear slotted rotors. I also had some other goodies to install as well. Details are below.

Parts list:
- C6 Z51 DBA T3 4000 slotted front rotors (Part # 42990S)
- C6 Z51 DBA T3 4000 slotted rear rotors (Part # 42991S)
- Front Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads (Part # HB247Z575)
- Rear Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads (Part # HB248Z650)
- Front C6 Z51 relocation brackets (Part # 88964166)
- Rear C6 Z51 relocation brackets (Part # 88964167)
- Doug Rippie Motorsports SS brake lines front and rear
- Brembo LCF 600 Plus brake fluid
- Doug Rippie Motorsports re-valved Bilsteins
- GM T1 Sway Bars, end links and VB&P Poly Bushings
- Anti-Venom mod

The new brake set-up increases the front diameter 0.8" and the rear diameter by 1.2"! That really helps reduce the brake-wheel gap which is exactly what I was after.

C5 Rotor Size
Front: 12.6"
Rear: 11.8"

C6 Z51 Rotor Size
Front: 13.4"
Rear: 13"

Before I get to installation and pictures, I have to give a huge shout out to both KNS Brakes and Doug Rippie Motorsports for giving me excellent advice, information and customer service throughout this process. I haven't seen a lot of people do this set-up on C5s so I felt like I was treading a bit into unknown waters but in the end, everything turned out excellent and I didn't have to make a single run to a parts store. This set-up is as complete as it could get.

Installation was an absolute breeze. Fitment was spot-on and perfect. No trimming on the calipers needed. Just bolt-on and go. I find it hard to believe there's a better kit on the market for the price. I couldn't be more satisfied!

Ok, enough talk. If any of you have specific questions I'll answer as best I can. Picture time!

Here's what I was looking at Saturday morning:

Front shock and brake set-up on:

Wheel on:

Front set-up complete with new GM T1 bar:

Up close:

Rear set-up complete:

This one's just for reference on the rear. Here's an older pic I found that'll give everyone a good comparsion of the stock brake-wheel gap:

New set-up:

Happy modding!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:11 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

For cosmetic purposes, I went with the Baer +2 rotor/relocation kit several years ago, and it wasn't anywhere near $1400; more like under $700. I didn't do any other, actually functional brake mods, because I don't race. If you are using it for racing, I'm sure the better pads, and fluid/lines will help in that department. Someday, I'd like to upgrade my calipers, too, but the "need" isn't there. I've really liked the rotors over the years.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:33 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zeevette
For cosmetic purposes, I went with the Baer +2 rotor/relocation kit several years ago, and it wasn't anywhere near $1400; more like under $700. I didn't do any other, actually functional brake mods, because I don't race. If you are using it for racing, I'm sure the better pads, and fluid/lines will help in that department. Someday, I'd like to upgrade my calipers, too, but the "need" isn't there. I've really liked the rotors over the years.
You must have gotten the deal of a lifetime then, or they've significantly upped the price over the years.

I just priced it out on Southern Car Parts.
Fronts are $745
Rears are $645
$1,390 all in for just rotors and brackets.

Brakes are really 70% pad, 20% rotor and 10% caliper. Ironically, the calipers are the most expensive part.

The nice thing with this kit though is its versatility. Tons of options for other C6 Z51 sized rotors if one decides to switch down the line.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:45 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've started looking into this too, cheapest I've found is about $500 total. Just over $200 for the Z51 brackets and just under $300 for Z51 rotors, both new stuff up for auction. Moving up to the DBA T3 rotors makes it more like $950 total.

The Baer stuff might be good but in addition to being roughly 50% more expensive initially I have concerns about running expensive drilled rotors on the track (maybe Coleman or somebody could make some slotted rings to replace the drilled stuff?) and also concerns about shifting the brake bias that far to the rear. The Z51 setup shifts it a little bit, but the Baer setup shifts it a LOT. It probably feels better with light to moderate braking but I wonder if it would make threshold braking dangerous.

If I put the right numbers into the TCE calculator, I got 66.1% front bias with stock C5/C6 setup. C6 Z51 sizes moves it down to 64.5% front and the Baer +2 setup all the way down to 60.8% front.

Last edited by troyguitar; 04-23-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Shad
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, that's a nice setup. I never thought about the Z51 brakes.

I'd love to have the C6 Z06 setup (they will clear my wheels), but if the Z51 is quite a bit cheaper, I may look into that. I have 18/18" wheels, so wheel gap would be even better in the rear.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:41 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyT
You must have gotten the deal of a lifetime then, or they've significantly upped the price over the years.

I just priced it out on Southern Car Parts.
Fronts are $745
Rears are $645
$1,390 all in for just rotors and brackets.

Brakes are really 70% pad, 20% rotor and 10% caliper. Ironically, the calipers are the most expensive part.

The nice thing with this kit though is its versatility. Tons of options for other C6 Z51 sized rotors if one decides to switch down the line.
Yes, it was a limited time offer. I wouldn't expect them to be the greatest way to go, if you wanted to really "use" your brakes.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:56 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,386 Likes on 836 Posts

SWEET!! This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks for doing all the hard work for me Looks great!!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:11 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I've started looking into this too, cheapest I've found is about $500 total. Just over $200 for the Z51 brackets and just under $300 for Z51 rotors, both new stuff up for auction. Moving up to the DBA T3 rotors makes it more like $950 total.

The Baer stuff might be good but in addition to being roughly 50% more expensive initially I have concerns about running expensive drilled rotors on the track (maybe Coleman or somebody could make some slotted rings to replace the drilled stuff?) and also concerns about shifting the brake bias that far to the rear. The Z51 setup shifts it a little bit, but the Baer setup shifts it a LOT. It probably feels better with light to moderate braking but I wonder if it would make threshold braking dangerous.

If I put the right numbers into the TCE calculator, I got 66.1% front bias with stock C5/C6 setup. C6 Z51 sizes moves it down to 64.5% front and the Baer +2 setup all the way down to 60.8% front.
I've actually seen a few Eradispeed owners on this forum here crack their rotors at the track. I'd highly recommend not using them for that application. Best thing to do is run centric blanks and a high quality pad and fluid. It's a proven set-up.

Originally Posted by Shad
Man, that's a nice setup. I never thought about the Z51 brakes.

I'd love to have the C6 Z06 setup (they will clear my wheels), but if the Z51 is quite a bit cheaper, I may look into that. I have 18/18" wheels, so wheel gap would be even better in the rear.
Glad to share some new insight here as it really is a great budget upgrade. The C6Z upgrade is a whole new animal though, and obviously price reflects that. I've heard some people say the GM C6Z rotors aren't worth the hype but there's definitely upgradeable options in that line.

Originally Posted by zeevette
Yes, it was a limited time offer. I wouldn't expect them to be the greatest way to go, if you wanted to really "use" your brakes.
Long as you're happy, in the end that's all that matters. If the price was more in line with my kit, I probably would've swayed over that way too.

Originally Posted by acroy
SWEET!! This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks for doing all the hard work for me Looks great!!
No problem! Glad to help
Old 04-24-2014, 05:08 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whatever you do, do NOT run drilled rotors on a road course.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:32 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
Whatever you do, do NOT run drilled rotors on a road course.
(maybe Coleman or somebody could make some slotted rings to replace the drilled stuff?)
Old 04-26-2014, 11:57 AM
SR-71
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sharp ride. But I'm a little biased.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:29 AM
tigz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a great upgrade. I've been looking for something like this. Can anyone commsnt on fitment with tsw interlagos 18/19 wheels?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:36 AM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SR-71
Sharp ride. But I'm a little biased.
Very nice

Originally Posted by tigz06
Looks like a great upgrade. I've been looking for something like this. Can anyone commsnt on fitment with tsw interlagos 18/19 wheels?

Thanks!
I can 99% say you won't have any issues. The C6 Z51 uses an 18/19 set-up from the factory and because your wheels don't have a dish, clearance for the calipers won't be an issue. It's a great upgrade!
Old 05-17-2014, 07:44 AM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Did you ever get a difinitive answer as to if this set up will work with the OEM size C5z wheels?
Old 05-17-2014, 04:49 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mre1974
Did you ever get a difinitive answer as to if this set up will work with the OEM size C5z wheels?
It will clear for sure if you run factory rears up front, but it looks like the factory 17s are a no-go

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...06-wheels.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-a-c5-z06.html

Old 05-17-2014, 09:51 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

not a bad idea for $200 in brackets. makes rotors cheap and easy to come by which is the part i like. you get a little more heatsink and the cosmetics for $200 in brackets. i would assume rotors prices between the c5 and c6 are similar
Old 05-17-2014, 10:28 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

I have read both that the 17" C5Z wheels do fit and do not fit in different threads. Soon I will be able to put that question to rest though as I am getting these brackets and rotors to put on my car. I have all 3 C5Z fronts available to test fit: gray alcoa, gray speedline, polished speedline. I'll post the results when it happens.

Another member in one thread even said that the regular C5 thin spoke 17" fronts clear the C6 Z51 brakes, so who the hell knows...
Old 05-19-2014, 10:25 AM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

I have read both that the 17" C5Z wheels do fit and do not fit in different threads. Soon I will be able to put that question to rest though as I am getting these brackets and rotors to put on my car. I have all 3 C5Z fronts available to test fit: gray alcoa, gray speedline, polished speedline. I'll post the results when it happens.

Another member in one thread even said that the regular C5 thin spoke 17" fronts clear the C6 Z51 brakes, so who the hell knows...
Thank you for testing this out and helping out some others in this thread. Be sure to post results here and let us know!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:54 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

I love brake upgrades...nice choices.

Get notified of new replies

To Completed my "Budget Bigger Brake Kit" and Other Goodies Installed!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Completed my "Budget Bigger Brake Kit" and Other Goodies Installed!