Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Look at these Photographs

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:10 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think PSS tires here in the NW would only make sense on a car you drive to the track and back home, correct? From what I have read, they really need to be heated up to perform well, otherwise they are a little dangerous, with some hp. I know 5W30 likes to drive that car when he can so for us in the corner up here, we need something with a little more grip on cooler surfaces.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:13 PM
5W30
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
I think PSS tires here in the NW would only make sense on a car you drive to the track and back home, correct? From what I have read, they really need to be heated up to perform well, otherwise they are a little dangerous, with some hp. I know 5W30 likes to drive that car when he can so for us in the corner up here, we need something with a little more grip on cooler surfaces.

In my experience these PSS are the best all around street tire in any condition you could name and I think they would outperform any other street tire out there in the same conditions. For what I'm doing on the street these have had superb traction at all times. On a cold and or wet/damp day I'm not asking all that much from my tires to begin with but these PSS have certainly never shown me any sketchy tendencies.

Regarding the track, I think that's actually where you start reaching the PSS's limitations. They don't take the heat like a true track tire would and performance starts to go… so I've read. I bet they'll be great for autocross though.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:06 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 5W30
It's clear we have both done the same homework on this subject so I can fully appreciate everything you have to say. This idea of running 285/18 PSS on all corners has got me thinking a bit. Sure hate to lose that cm out back but you're right, 285 of PSS is likely better then 295 of any other street tire. I'll think about it for next time around, I've gone ahead and ordered NT05 for my stock wheels this go around. They should install wednesday and I'll show some pics.

Ya so with the TSW assuming you use spacers you still lose the 2mm in back, plus the way it maths out up front you also lose 2mm in width there as well. The collective factors of losing the half inch on the front wheel, spending extra on rear spacers and still losing 2mm per corner, picking up a couple lbs per wheel, the expense of the wheels, etc.. I just decided it was too much bs for a setup of wheels that I'm not even that wild about the looks of to begin with.

The PSS is the best street tire out there but this time I just got to try something else.

I'll look into the for Forgestars, hadn't entered my searches up to now so thanks for that.

What I would really love to see is the centennial cup wheels in stock c5z size except 18/19 and not too heavy.
I would rather do 285 rear, 255 or 265 front on rear 18s all the way around for a street setup, that way you don't have to worry at all about the TC/AH freaking out

I like the specs on the NT05 for the most part, just stay sharp in the rain

I unfortunately can't do the NT05 since it's W-rated and I plan to run an open road race or two, which requires that I run a tire meeting or exceeding the factory speed rating

The TSW Nurburgring and Interlago are both pretty sharp, but Forgestar does offer a few more options; just make sure you get really familiar with offsets if you aren't already, as they offer quite a few but are limited by the rotary-forging processing

You're thinking of the Pilot Sport Cup
The Pilot Super Sport is OEM on the C7 base, Z51, and upcoming Z06, not to mention a hoard of other performance cars
Old 04-23-2014, 07:32 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes sir, thank you, that was the tire I was thinking of. I've read that those sport cups are close to a slick for a street tire.
I'm glad I posted on this thread for all the good wheel/tire info. Thanks for doing your homework!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes sir, thank you, that was the tire I was thinking of. I've read that those sport cups are close to a slick for a street tire.
I'm glad I posted on this thread for all the good wheel/tire info. Thanks for doing your homework!

No problem; I'm a huge nerd and I hate making spontaneous, uninformed decisions, so I analyze every move I consider before I do anything.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Look at these Photographs