Sponsored by:

[Z06] Texas Speed Headers???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 AM
MrJonMan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Texas Speed Headers???

Figured I would start a new topic to ask about them....

Anyone have an opinion on them? Searching didn't bring up much....

Significantly cheaper than LG's, but I don't want to cheap out and not be happy.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

That's really a question based on personal preference. If you do a search you will find tons of information of people who went with the TSP headers both good and bad reviews.

Personally I went with some LG Super Pro's, yes they're more expensive but from what I've learned you get what you pay for. Its your cash, get what you really want and don't settle for less of that. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Kins13y
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJonMan
Figured I would start a new topic to ask about them....

Anyone have an opinion on them? Searching didn't bring up much....

Significantly cheaper than LG's, but I don't want to cheap out and not be happy.
I just ordered a set. Getting them in the car on jack stands wasn't the most fun but also wasn't the worst. Since I'm an idiot and broke a bolt I now am scheduled for a tune and to have that fixed late April. Once I see the power it makes I will see how mad or happy I am.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:39 PM
MrJonMan
Racer

I fully believe in you get what you pay for as well, but that doesn't mean that the price of things can't be inflated.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:37 PM
apollo240
Racer

I agree with the inflated prices. Theres also corvette tax. Ive been wondering about headers as well. Looking at bbk, lg's, and kooks. Not sure if paying more is worth it. I will pay for better stuff but if it doesnt do anything better, i dont know if its justifiable. I paid 500ish for my bbk Mach 1 headers back in 08. They were great.
Also, do base vette headers work on z06's?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 PM
AirborneZ06
Advanced

I've got a set of Texas Speed Headers & O/R X-pipe. Definitely worth the money in my opinion. Don't let the price fool you! I went from running 13.6's in El Paso, Tx with 3,500Ft of Elevation to running 12.7's the Texas Speed Headers and X-pipe and the factory TI exhaust. Did a Texas Speed 228R cam and a canned tune from them as well and dropped to 12's, trapping at 114mph. So i'd definitely say theyre worth it. If I were at sea level Id be in the mid 11's.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:41 PM
DarkZ06
Advanced

I have them also and a mail tune from them, car runs and sounds awesome, plus I saved a lot of money. Only down side was I had one rubbing the steering shaft when I turned, it really sucked having to take them back out, but an air hammer made dimpling them real easy.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:23 PM
apollo240
Racer

Originally Posted by DarkZ06
I have them also and a mail tune from them, car runs and sounds awesome, plus I saved a lot of money. Only down side was I had one rubbing the steering shaft when I turned, it really sucked having to take them back out, but an air hammer made dimpling them real easy.
This would make me spend the extra money for a set that wont dont that

Z06 and base both use the same headers, ive heard mixed things.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:52 PM
427ZM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First off, if you don't have a system, any system will be better than stock manifolds and H pipe. LG's do produce the most power, b/c they have the largest runners to the merge collector and largest/longest merge collector. They, as opposed to most Vette headers, are true long tube headers.

As for Texas Speed's here some things to consider: I had a friend once who told me buy headers; but don't waste money on expensive headers! There may be a few HP difference between them (when comparing the same size), but that's it. Not 15, not 20, a few.

Also, don't listen to "our motors are too small get 1 3/4" headers. BS! Larger is better here!
1 7/8" all day everyday! Take it from someone who has learned w/ his wallet, 1 7/8"! It'll pick up HP and Tq throughout the curve!

Flanges: how thick are they? The thicker the better. Cheaper headers usually cheap out here. Thin flanges can warp, and cause exhaust leaks. This isn't too common on our cars, but there aren't too many cheap-o headers out there for vettes.

Merge collector X-pipe connection: is it a flange or a round clamp? Clamps tend to loosen up over time and leak. It's not terrible, but if you see your garage floor collecting soot where the merge collector sits, time to tighten the clamps up. Good flanges won't have this issue. They'll butt up, throw a gasket in there, and you're good to go! This same point goes for the x-pipe to cat back connection. Flanges are better than clamps.

Merge collector: does it neck down to a 3"? 2.5"? 3.5" again, bigger is better. 3" is about as large as our cars can take b/c this is the diameter of the x-pipe pipes as well. Most systems go 3" down to 2.5, but there are some true 3" all the way back. You will gain HP going 3" all the way back, but this will require a 3" cat back system, and fitment and rattles can be an issue with some of these systems.

O2 bungs: where are they located? Are they on the inside or outside of the pipes?
Preferably the outside. You don't want to burn these things up and they have to run up the tunnel to connect back in the engine bay, so on the outside of the pipes is preferable.

Anyway, just my .02.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 AM
apollo240
Racer

Looking on texas speeds site, am i missing something or do they only offer a 3" midpipe?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by apollo240
Looking on texas speeds site, am i missing something or do they only offer a 3" midpipe?
No real need for anything smaller(stock 2.5" I believe) or bigger.

I ran TSP headers on my fbody and they were great. I would def recommend them for a corvette.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:22 PM
AirborneZ06
Advanced

Call them bro! they cut me a killer deal. Lower than the price on the website.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:33 PM
MrJonMan
Racer

Yea I'm going to give them a call and see if I can talk to someone besides he guy I've been emailing with.

So far they won't budge on price
Old 04-16-2014, 04:57 PM
apollo240
Racer

Originally Posted by envyz06
No real need for anything smaller(stock 2.5" I believe) or bigger.

I ran TSP headers on my fbody and they were great. I would def recommend them for a corvette.
I want to run borla stingers eventually seems like they only come in 2.5". For now though i would be running stock ti system. So the 3" would be an issue wouldnt it.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Deputy_Dangle
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have TSP LT's on my car. They fit great but I did have to cut a hole in my tunnel plate for one of the O2 sensors to fit. Overall I am very pleased with the headers and would purchase again.

Get notified of new replies

To Texas Speed Headers???

Quick Reply: [Z06] Texas Speed Headers???