Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Cam questions/ Should I do headers too?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:25 PM
MrJonMan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cam questions/ Should I do headers too?

Already have a custom grind cam on order, along with rods and springs. There has been some mention of needing to upgrade the lifters too, to LS7, do I?

My initial plan was to do this now and 6-12mths, add headers, but I've been second guessing this plan, would it be dumb to do just the cam?

It's an 02, with vararam & exhaust (just mufflers). Dyno'd 375/374 as it sits.

Appreciate the help
Old 04-15-2014, 12:15 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

You're about the only person to have ever done a cam before headers that I know of. Now watch them all come out of the woodwork!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:40 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

hey supercharged111 I think I have seen your car run at the ppir autocross tracks...car sounds amazing!!!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 AM
moe24
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

If you have the $$$$ to do the headers and cam then I say go for it..it'll sound amazing with a bigger cam and long tube headers.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking about eventually doing a cam and never doing headers, but have not done either yet. I've no interest in a street car that is ridiculously loud to the point where it's technically illegal on the street and probably not allowed on any sound-restricted tracks either.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 AM
MrJonMan
Racer

I just love the sound of the cam.....but who doesn't?

My buddy just put the LG Pro on his 99, so when he comes by tonight I will figure out if I truly want it.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:24 AM
MrJonMan
Racer

I don't know that I can spring for LG headers tho.....any other suggestions?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 AM
MrJonMan
Racer

never mind, after researching, looks Like LG is a good deal....didn't realize kooks didn't include xpipe

I'm really wanting to break the 400rwhp mark.....

Last edited by MrJonMan; 04-15-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:29 AM
MonolithMonolith
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure if you do headers after cam, you'll need another tune. So if you can, you ought to just do both. That's what I did. I put down 415rwhp and 402rwtq.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:33 AM
MrJonMan
Racer

Oh I know I'll need another tune, that's why I'm trying to talk myself into it.....save me about $500
Old 04-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by MrJonMan
never mind, after researching, looks Like LG is a good deal....didn't realize kooks didn't include xpipe

I'm really wanting to break the 400rwhp mark.....
Talk to Damien at Wildvettes, he's got the best prices on LG headers period.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
You're about the only person to have ever done a cam before headers that I know of. Now watch them all come out of the woodwork!

I'd concentrate on having the engine breathe better before throwing more power on it. Get a nice set of headers before you do the cam swap or do both.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Pointless. Like trying to blow air through a pinched straw. Hell, for some cams you'd have to pretty much forego cats let alone cast irony manifolds.

I wouldn't go through the time and $$$ getting a custom grind cam installed and not get it maximized for both power & efficiency while also getting the correct sound you'd expect post install. If anything I'd get headers first then do the cam...you may find the headers put the car to a level you're already happy at and may not need/want the cam IMO.

Anyhow, if you're committed my advice would be do it right get the headers as well do it all at the same time save $$$ too.

And yes I'd go w/ new lifters as well if its a slightly aggressive cam. Lifters, valve springs, plugs, wires, etc. Get it running tip top

Last edited by C5Dobie; 04-15-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:54 AM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole reason you do a cam is to make the motor breath better.
Air in, through, and out of the engine as fast as possible(air cant get out as fast as your pulling it in with stock manifolds)
In my opinion you are wasting your time and money doing a cam first
If you can only do one do the headers, high flow cats with stock ti exhaust first. And a cai like a vararam you will put down around 375-380 torque and 385-390 rwhp . Then jump to a cam later

I run the above set up
lg superpros w/ high flows
vararam
i had stock TI and switched to borla stingers . The stock TI keep it Quite and daily drivable but screams at WOT

This is just one mans opinion Good luck
Steve
Old 04-15-2014, 12:30 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Some interesting distinctions here.

Why is a cam without headers pointless but not the reverse?

Are headers pointless without an improved throttle body and intake manifold? After all who cares if your exhaust can flow if your intake cannot?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:38 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by troyguitar
Some interesting distinctions here.

Why is a cam without headers pointless but not the reverse?

Are headers pointless without an improved throttle body and intake manifold? After all who cares if your exhaust can flow if your intake cannot?
Nope. They're not. You know that so why play devil's advocate? When people start adding aftermarket cams you're usually talking a lot bigger deviation from the normal amount of air/fuel getting in there.

Its been proven many many times that the GM smallblock V8's run rich from the factory, and respond very well and immediately to headers/intake. The results of a cam and the effects on your AF ratio can vary GREATLY depending on the specs.

The results/effects of a CAI and headers are pretty much the same across the board regardless of platform (vette, G8, Camaro, GTO, Truck etc.) or brand of header/CAI. Once you have the basic structure supporting more airflow (the intake, less restrictive headers, X pipe, catless or hi flows) then you have a "limitless" choice of the type of cam you can use and really maximize the power available from that cam and dial it in.

That's why you would never go cam first headers 2nd.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:44 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

I don't know, that's why I ask. If I could prove it one way or the other, I would link to proof.

Posting unsupported assertions is pointless, I can do that too:

A cam without headers will gain you 50 whp.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam questions/ Should I do headers too?

Old 04-15-2014, 12:51 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I don't know, that's why I ask. If I could prove it one way or the other, I would link to proof.

Posting unsupported assertions is pointless, I can do that too:

A cam without headers will gain you 50 whp.
I thought you were being coy lol, but to answer your question because of what I had already posted there are too many variables/limitations in place when you don't have the increased air in/out already in place at the most restrictive pinch points in the drivetrain - the intake and the headers/cats. Once you address those you can build up to pretty high (probably 500whp) power levels before you would really "need" to address the throttle body and intake manifold etc. - not that modifying those beforehand wouldn't be beneficial, but its just that it hasn't proven to be "necessary" or optimal until you have the other bigger list items addressed: namely a solid CAI, headers, HF/no cats, lopey cam, tune.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by momo20
hey supercharged111 I think I have seen your car run at the ppir autocross tracks...car sounds amazing!!!
Only autocrossed it once at the Front Range Airport, after that was all track. So apparently there's yet another Z16 i don't know about? I know of one H/C/I Z16 here but I also know for a fact that he doesn't autox it. Thanks though.

So I'll admit Steve Doten did a cam with no headers for someone before and it worked good, but not nearly as well as it would with headers. Aftermarket cams have a lot more overlap than stock and this is where the headers' ability to scavenge exhaust gases really shines.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:28 PM
MrJonMan
Racer

I'd really like to find a used set of Kooks or LGs, but that doesn't seem to be easy....

Quick Reply: [Z06] Cam questions/ Should I do headers too?