Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Would you guys buy a C5Z that's been raced?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:04 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Would you guys buy a C5Z that's been raced?

Not drag raced but road raced at a local track. As an example the car would be stock but the owner just wanted to take the car out for some fun.

I'm in the market for an 03-04 C5Z and not sure I would consider one that's been raced as this would add some wear and tear?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:31 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends...are we talking a couple of weekends a year or a car that was only used for racing?

Nothing wrong with having a little fun once in a while. That's what it's designed for.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:40 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by TGO
Depends...are we talking a couple of weekends a year or a car that was only used for racing?

Nothing wrong with having a little fun once in a while. That's what it's designed for.
Its just once and a while at the track. Even though they were designed for it would it still not be stressfull for parts of the car - could it cause premature wear? I suppose if the fluids were changed regularly and synthetic might be ok?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:51 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

there is so much dishonesty and so many lies in the used car market, unless you buy someones 2500 mile garage queen you have no idea how the car was operated.

i've seen "20k mile" cars that were blown and hot rodded for those 20k, then turned back to stock and sold as "mint" elderly owned cars

i've seen odometer rollbacks

list goes on and on. if this particular car is in good shape and has good engine leakdown numbers, shifts well and drives well, what are you worried about?

if any ring damage was done it would show in the leakdown and if the bearings were toasted you would see it in the oil pressure
Old 04-06-2014, 02:06 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by racebum
there is so much dishonesty and so many lies in the used car market, unless you buy someones 2500 mile garage queen you have no idea how the car was operated.

i've seen "20k mile" cars that were blown and hot rodded for those 20k, then turned back to stock and sold as "mint" elderly owned cars

list goes on and on. if this particular car is in good shape and has good engine leakdown numbers, shifts well and drives well, what are you worried about?

if any ring damage was done it would show in the leakdown and if the bearings were toasted you would see it in the oil pressure
This particular one is a long ways away from me. I suppose I could ask for him to get it checked out and provide me with a report?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:47 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 93zder
This particular one is a long ways away from me. I suppose I could ask for him to get it checked out and provide me with a report?
What is YOUR intended usage for the car?

How has the proposed new car been maintained. A "TRACK" car is a single purpose implement. Nobody who is a serious racer uses a car that is not perfectly maintained. however, If you want a street car, that is "occasionally tracked" like MOST Z06 cars are (why else would you buy a Z06?) then each example is a separate issue.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:54 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
What is YOUR intended usage for the car?

How has the proposed new car been maintained. A "TRACK" car is a single purpose implement. Nobody who is a serious racer uses a car that is not perfectly maintained. however, If you want a street car, that is "occasionally tracked" like MOST Z06 cars are (why else would you buy a Z06?) then each example is a separate issue.
I plan for it to be a nice street toy for nice days. I love the look of the Z06 and the power it has. As well I like that since it was designed for some track use - it should be very durable and reliable for street driving.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:00 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

guys do it...but i would never ever buy a c5 i couldn't personally inspect. cars are too old and i came across too many pigs with lipstick the sellers tried to make look nice when i was shopping

lot of junk on the market.

if you aren't a mechanic type i would buy from a reputable dealer like texas direct etc. and or a very low mileage doc'd private party

there are some GREAT deals in higher mile cars but you have to know what you're looking for and see them in person
Old 04-06-2014, 03:56 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

I agree - low mileage is what I'm looking for - I ideally 25K miles or less.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:56 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

I wouldn't mind if the previous owner took it to an occasional road track event, a couple times a year isn't that big of a deal to me. I would be less worried about that than someone driving it all out at the strip on sticky tires. 1/4 mile racing is a LOT harder on the drivetrain than a road course. These cars were built for road racing, not as much for the 1/4 but they are good at that too.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:30 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 93zder
Its just once and a while at the track. Even though they were designed for it would it still not be stressfull for parts of the car - could it cause premature wear? I suppose if the fluids were changed regularly and synthetic might be ok?
LOL I wouldn't worry about it. If you're buying a Z06 as a highway cruiser, you're buying the wrong car.

The motor and drivetrain are pretty bulletproof. Unless it was totally abused, you've got nothing to worry about.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:47 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Track cars are generally MUCH better maintained than street cars - but a street car that is just driven on a track occasionally for fun is probably the worst option of all IMO.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:03 PM
NVESTZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the motor blows, remove it and rebuild it! dont own this car if you cant do rebuild/ repair accordingly.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:18 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

All Corvettes have been raced one way or another. My Z was raced 2-preview owners ago at the Mojave Mile....Life goes on.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

If someone is up front talking about a few HPDE events a year, I'd say there is nothing wrong with that. If they are telling you about that, then they are likely up front about all details of the car. A few track events would be easy to hide.

An all out track car I would not buy unless that is what you want. If its a nice day car with some track time, I'd be ok with that
Old 04-06-2014, 09:49 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If I were looking for a track car yes I would consider one that's been tracked and if it's had significant mods for track use all the better. But I'm a track junkie and not a waxer. To each his own.

I take very good care of my 04Z which is used only for track days and driving to events. About a half dozen a year. The oil is changed 3 times a season and the diff and trans fluids are changed once a year. I have an EOC for the engine oil and the trans fluid. During the season I run straight water and water wetter and when stored in the winter it's a 50/50 mix between antifreeze and water. The brake pads and rotors are changed more frequently than anyone can imagine! The tech inspection that the car needs to pass for each and every event is beyond thorough!

So is a track car something you should avoid? Not necessarily IMHO

Just do your homework!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:57 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
I would be less worried about that than someone driving it all out at the strip on sticky tires. 1/4 mile racing is a LOT harder on the drivetrain than a road course. These cars were built for road racing, not as much for the 1/4 but they are good at that too.
I've dropped the clutch one time, got the horrible wheel hop and never have done it again. 3 + seasons of HPDE and 50,000 miles on the OEM original clutch and I'll bet there's a ton of life left in it!

Get notified of new replies

To Would you guys buy a C5Z that's been raced?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

I don't think that my car was tracked, but I know it was properly driven and maintained. My buddy bought a z06 with 20k less miles than mine, making the mistake of thinking it would be in the same shape as mine, but his is (in his words) nowhere near like mine. Funny thing is mine had a previous accident recorded, his didn't. His car has definitely had body panels repaired/replaced. With used cars it's kinda hit or miss.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:58 PM
SlowFRC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
You probably weren't referring to C5s with this statement but in case you were, "rolling back" the odometer on a digital odo car? How would that work. I'm aware that putting a new gauge cluster will read the mileage of the car is came off of but how do you change an existing odo reading?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:01 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
You probably weren't referring to C5s with this statement but in case you were, "rolling back" the odometer on a digital odo car? How would that work. I'm aware that putting a new gauge cluster will read the mileage of the car is came off of but how do you change an existing odo reading?
You answered your own question.....

Quick Reply: [Z06] Would you guys buy a C5Z that's been raced?