Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Buying a sight unseen '02 C5Z from forum member, would you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 03:55 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a sight unseen '02 C5Z from forum member, would you?

So before today I was 100% committed in buying a 2002 Z06 from a fellow member. It's been for sale for about a month and seems to be in great condition. Mileage is north of 60K.

What are some of the things should I look out for? I've read about the valve spring issue which he claims he's never had an issue and it's a low VIN as well for an '02. Interior seems to be great as it has the red interior. Has some mods, headers, full cats, intake. Has a few other extras as well. Carfax is not present. Price is in the $20K range.

This is my first Corvette, however I've previously owned a JGC SRT8, Challenger SRT8, Camaro ZL1, etc. I'm a car enthusiast so I just want to make sure I'm not just blowing away my $. I'd be picking up vehicle on my way to California on military orders from Virginia. Never bought a vehicle from a forum member never let alone sight unseen. Parts are one thing buying from a member but a car sight unseen is slightly different.

Last edited by FINALLYSATISFIED; 04-03-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

So where exactly is the car located? I'm sure somebody around the area wouldn't mind taking a look at it for you. I just can't find myself spending my money on a car that's sight unseen regardless of pictures or records.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:24 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
So where exactly is the car located? I'm sure somebody around the area wouldn't mind taking a look at it for you. I just can't find myself spending my money on a car that's sight unseen regardless of pictures or records.
Its located in the Las Vegas area. I know that's my main concern about it being sight unseen honestly, I'm sure the gentlemen means well and is trustworthy, but I do have my doubts spending $20K with me not seeing the vehicle. He has showed me pictures and what not. But then again, seeing the vehicle in person, inspecting it for leaks and what not is a concern of mine. I put a $500 deposit down on the vehicle so he knew I was serious about the car.

Vehicle ad is below:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...-interior.html

Last edited by FINALLYSATISFIED; 04-03-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

I would not spend that kind of money without physically looking it over and test driving it. These cars are known to have trans problems if driven hard (raced) or rear diff issues. It could be real hard shifting, popping out of gear etc. These can be very costly repairs. No offense to anyone but I dont just take anyones word even if they are a longtime member here. If Im spending $20k on a 10+ year old car I would have to look it over really closely. Thankfully I found mine 2 hours away.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:25 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Personally... I would NOT hesitate to buy that car sight unseen.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:28 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

After my last dealings buying a car sight unseen I would NOT do it again, and it was from a forum member. Always, always, always have another third party look it over for you.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:34 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

My situation makes me think twice about this deal id have to send him a check overnight and he would send me the title overnight so I could get the vehicle registered in NC(no smog). Then id be traveling to CA and on the way or another day picking up the vehicle. Ill be stationed in CA so that's the reason for traveling.

Any members that live in Las Vegas area that are mechanically inclined that could stop by I'd appreciate it. $20K for 60K miles which seems on the high side too. Seeing some Z's go for $20K with less mileage almost makes $19-19.5 reasonable, no?

Last edited by FINALLYSATISFIED; 04-03-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZ06
Personally... I would NOT hesitate to buy that car sight unseen.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:40 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

First of all....in this specific situation...he is a long standing forum member whom keeps his vettes mint and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.

In general terms....you should pull the carfax and gm oasis report. You can have it inspected for 100 to 150 just for your personal piece of mind. You can get a forum member to look it over for you. You can have him do a detailed video of the car. You can and should do a bill-of-sale. I have bought many cars sight unseen and as long as you do your homework...it will work out just fine and you will be a happy new Z06 owner.

Don't overthink this deal and talk yourself out of it just because of the distance. Sounds like you have located a clean Z06 from a reputable owner and have figured out the details for purchase. You are on the right track.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:25 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Nope...
Old 04-03-2014, 07:28 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes you can buy unseen, ask for plenty of pictures and videos..if someone is honest they will send you everything and tell you anything about the car..buddy of mine just bought a low miles supercharged one from california..he talked to the owner on the phone and sometimes you can tell e real enthusiast by how they have taken care of the car.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:49 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
First of all....in this specific situation...he is a long standing forum member whom keeps his vettes mint and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.

In general terms....you should pull the carfax and gm oasis report. You can have it inspected for 100 to 150 just for your personal piece of mind. You can get a forum member to look it over for you. You can have him do a detailed video of the car. You can and should do a bill-of-sale. I have bought many cars sight unseen and as long as you do your homework...it will work out just fine and you will be a happy new Z06 owner.

Don't overthink this deal and talk yourself out of it just because of the distance. Sounds like you have located a clean Z06 from a reputable owner and have figured out the details for purchase. You are on the right track.
Thank you. What and how do I get access for the GM oasis report? Getting it inspected would help me determine and detailed video of the car if this is worth it or not. Just going off of some members prior experiences some have had horror stories.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:01 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Any GM dealer/service center can get that for you... all you need is the VIN. That will tell you the service history of the car and if any recall items were tended to at a dealer.

Do a bank wire transfer so theres a electronic record of him receiving your funds.
Definitely do a bill of sale.
Save any texts, PM's and emails between you guys.

Honestly, just like IMXCITD, I have also purchased a few cars and motorcycles sight unseen and I have developed a good filter for smelling out BS... this guy to me seems like a very legit seller. I wouldnt worry about the car being beat on.. its mostly stock.. most guys who beat on their cars also modify them to a much further extent.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:16 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

To me buying wheels and other mods off longtime members is one thing, there isn't much that can be wrong with them and 90% or more of the time they are as described. Some parts were not as good of condition as advertised though. There are so many variables involved in buying a car without seeing it that I personally never would do it. I know people that do it often (eBay) and they have been burned a few times. Those are people buying them to flip though. It's just a cost of doing business if they lose on them. I'm sure the seller is a great guy but I'd be nervous enough spending $500 to fly to see it first, let alone buying it from just seeing some nice pictures and a phone call. That's just me though.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Looks to me that you already made a deal to buy the car with the seller. Don't be shady.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:43 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shane1974
Looks to me that you already made a deal to buy the car with the seller. Don't be shady.
A deal wasn't made according to the seller even though a $500 deposit was made but was later clarified that he was joking pulling a prank on me. That's another topic in itself. But if you have any advice regarding buying a sight unseen vehicle please post. Thanks.

Last edited by FINALLYSATISFIED; 04-03-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED
A deal wasn't made according to the seller even though a $500 deposit was made but was later clarified that he was joking pulling a prank on me. That's another topic in itself. But if you have any advice regarding buying a sight unseen vehicle please post. Thanks.

I did buy a car from here sight unseen. Although I had a few unexpected things to work out, I love the car. You are much better off buying from a forum member than Autotrader or ebay. You have a much better chance of getting a well cared for car. I have some experience in the car business. I sold 400 cars last year. Best of luck and I hope you enjoy whatever you purchase.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a sight unseen '02 C5Z from forum member, would you?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:05 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

If you follow the sellers posts... he also sold a blue Z06 not too long ago and the buyer seems very satisfied.

What more do you need?

It really sounds to me like maybe you changed your mind and are looking for a reason to back out.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Originally Posted by PeteZ06
If you follow the sellers posts... he also sold a blue Z06 not too long ago and the buyer seems very satisfied.

What more do you need?

It really sounds to me like maybe you changed your mind and are looking for a reason to back out.
I hate getting a deposit and holding a car and losing the chance to sell it to someone else.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:19 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

My advice was generic, not specific to the current member and car.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Buying a sight unseen '02 C5Z from forum member, would you?