Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Buying a sight unseen '02 C5Z from forum member, would you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 AM
golfinz
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I sold my last two Z's on this forum sight unseen and bought the one I have sight unseen - all done through forum members. I have not had a bad experience yet, but in all instances, the car was reviewed by a third party before purchasing. I highly recommend that you have it looked at by either a third party forum member or pay a shop to do it. It seems like everyone these days is a "detailer." All you need to have to detail a car is some polisher and some polish

Last edited by golfinz; 04-09-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:51 AM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sight unseen? I just couldn't do it. Either fly out and take a day to look at it, or have someone close by look at it for you. I'm sure it's a great car, but there really is little effort in having it looked at first.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I have bought many cars sight unseen. I can tell immediately, via direct line of questioning and other means, if I should buy or not. I flew from pa to san diego for a 189k mile c4 sight unseen before. Drove the car back and profited on the deal. I boughtmy z06 sight unseen on here...same deal. That car looks extremely wellcared for. Get a feel for the buyer...if he seems like a straight shooter, do the deal.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:24 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The delivery inspection was done today. Chevrolet dealership found these issues:

-Air filter needs replacing
-AC belt has crack
-Rear brake pads down to 2mm
-Small leak at steering rack boot

Owner will fix the AC belt and replace the air filter. I'll have to get new rear brake pads its looking like. And the issue with the leak at the steering rack boot, should there be some cause for concern? I don't want that to turn into a $1000-2000 job when its said and done.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:54 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Site unseen......I have bought 3 cars out of state and never had an issue. I make sure I have lots of pics of everything I want, I trade emails for several weeks getting a feel for the seller and records, mods etc. I fly out there, inspect, make and offer, go to the back, do the deal, drive the seller home, and spend a day or two bonding with the car on my drive home. Got my Z06 in Montana, M3 in AZ, and Sons W8 Passat in New Mexico. (Lived in SoCal at the time) All have been great cars, and I wont hesitate to do it again.

Nice thing about a Forum member car, you can look at posts from the seller and get a feel for the car and any past issues if it was someone that really hung in the forums. Sadly there are many that join just to sell a car...

Last edited by JETninja; 04-09-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:33 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Tuned in for results with your experience. I hope it goes great, going to be doing the same thing soon.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

4/15/14 Update: Title came in today, I was able to get vehicle registered and titled. I also ordered some personalized plates for it already. 4/27/14 can't come soon enough...
Old 04-16-2014, 01:03 AM
OKZ06
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I personally bought a car from these forums a year and a half ago, flew from Oklahoma to Orlando, FL and drove the car 1303 miles back home.

Previous to flying down the seller had a shop change the valve springs and provided a receipt and had a full service job done on the car the day before i got there.

We had numerous conversations and multiple pictures were taken and i couldn't be any happier was a dream come true.

However i was willing to book a return flight and wash my hands of the deal if the car was not as discussed/shown.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:13 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

OP, now you have had time to marinate on the purchase and the car did everything work out as anticipated?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Originally Posted by tommypenguin
OP, now you have had time to marinate on the purchase and the car did everything work out as anticipated?
Ill post a lengthy thread about it some other time. But to be quick and short my next buying experience will not be buying a sight unseen. I wouldn't recommend that for anyone one even if he is a forum member or not. A few things were not mentioned until it was delivered which wouldn't have been a big deal if I was aware before hand. I don't like surprises. The process shouldn't have taken a month after the car was delivered. We did come to a resolution and I'm ok with the outcome.

I'll just keep it at that. But I'm content. I've started to make it my own so no going back.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:37 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's too bad that you had a bad experience. The items found at the dealer minus the steering rack boot leak are pretty simple inexpensive maintenance issues though. I bought my car with pretty much the same miles sight unseen 1100 miles away but flew in to pick up at a dealer (about as crooked as a private individual) was pretty much like they describes except for some scratches that weren't mentioned and some inner fender damage.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:32 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Originally Posted by Omaha02Z06
That's too bad that you had a bad experience. The items found at the dealer minus the steering rack boot leak are pretty simple inexpensive maintenance issues though. I bought my car with pretty much the same miles sight unseen 1100 miles away but flew in to pick up at a dealer (about as crooked as a private individual) was pretty much like they describes except for some scratches that weren't mentioned and some inner fender damage.
The damages that I noticed when I did a walk around were obvious so I was alittle frustrated why it was never mentioned. The pictures that were taken were taken at right angles and at a certain distance.

To add to that the previous owner delivered it to me personally. First thing I did was take it on a 15min test drive (traffic) came back to my home and he had left(which he could have texted me). Low and behold that's when the damage was found after I did a walk around. No text, no nothing he just left which pissed me off a bit.

He did compensate me for it but it wasn't enough to cover it in full. When a seller says "perfect condition, no damage, no rock chips". That's what I envision. Not the other way around. He didn't honor his word on another situation as well.

All in all, I appreciate the forums advice and I've learned a tremendous amount. I've even met some other great owners. You live and you learn.

Last edited by FINALLYSATISFIED; 06-14-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:06 AM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Everyone sees cars different--im a nut for cosmetic condition--I look for repaint-nicks-scratches ect.--mechically I would have an expert look it over on a lift--I would never buy a vette sight unscene--you want to be happy with your car not disappointed-
Old 06-15-2014, 12:45 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobby777
Everyone sees cars different--im a nut for cosmetic condition--I look for repaint-nicks-scratches ect.--mechically I would have an expert look it over on a lift--I would never buy a vette sight unscene--you want to be happy with your car not disappointed-
I had a dealership look over the mechanicals. I paid $175 for that service at the Chevrolet dealership.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:53 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED
I had a dealership look over the mechanicals. I paid $175 for that service at the Chevrolet dealership.
OK the dealer gave it a good report==visually im sure they looked for exterior/interior condition--if everything gets a green light--than you should be happy-
Old 06-15-2014, 08:01 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobby777
OK the dealer gave it a good report==visually im sure they looked for exterior/interior condition--if everything gets a green light--than you should be happy-
It wasn't a exterior report unfortunately which you would think right?. Just mechanical. They were suppose to test drive it which never happened. It was reported to need a new A/C belt, rear brakes pads, missing few light bulbs at that particular time.

Previous owner took care of cracked A/C belt and the light bulbs(I don't have receipts or proof to verify). I was compensated for pads and rack and pinion as well so that helped. But the damage that was found at delivery wasn't mentioned to me before. The $175 that I paid for the inspection was well before the vehicle was delivered to me. Sort of a let down once I took possession, like what really did I pay for? The previous owner was present at the dealer so who knows what was said when he took it to them. All I did was PayPal him $175 in good faith.

All in all I'm never buying a vehicle sight unseen again. Never received original window sticker and battery charger which he supposedly had. He told me after purchase to order the window sticker through a website. How convenient.

Last edited by FINALLYSATISFIED; 06-15-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:45 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

i haven't read your whole thread, but I live in Vegas and I would be happy to go look at it for you if you haven't bought it already. I'm about the most **** **** you will ever meet. We can talk about the car over the phone as I look at it for you. PM me if this works for you.
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a sight unseen '02 C5Z from forum member, would you?

Old 06-15-2014, 08:50 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Originally Posted by NVNO1
i haven't read your whole thread, but I live in Vegas and I would be happy to go look at it for you if you haven't bought it already. I'm about the most **** **** you will ever meet. We can talk about the car over the phone as I look at it for you. PM me if this works for you.
Dave
I appreciate it! I actually already bought it. I've had it for a month now. Another member asked me how everything went after I took possession. I was suppose to post some pics and everything but it took about 3 weeks for myself and the previous owner to resolve the issues. They have since been resolved.

I will definitely keep you in mind for future purchases!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

never, even if someone checked it out, but that is just me as everyone has a difference in what is good or bad quality etc. good luck
Old 06-16-2014, 08:54 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Not to thread hijack, I was particularly interested in this thread as I'm in the same boat as FS. The whole reason I considered purchasing out of state and sight unseen is due to a good friend of mine doing the same and having great experiences with a highly modified Shelby mustang.

I just bought my first corvette last week sight unseen, ships tomorrow. I have had constant communication with the seller for two and a half months. I engaged three other sellers on here seriously when I started my search but I did not feel comfortable with them and/or their cars. The seller I purchased the car from has taken detailed pictures of what he believes are every blemish inside and out. He has been candid with the issues he has faced. I have reviewed every post he has made regarding the car over the 6 and 1/2 years he's had it and felt given what I'm looking for it is the best scenario I'm going to be able to find for the price I'm willing to pay.

I pray I end up feeling I get exactly what I am expecting, no more, no less. I expect to get a highly modified 13 year old car with some wear on it and that also will need some minor maintenance if any to have it running the 2,000 or so miles I likely will drive it this summer. We will see how it goes, sorry to side track your thread FS.

Last edited by tommypenguin; 06-16-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Buying a sight unseen '02 C5Z from forum member, would you?