Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Buying a sight unseen '02 C5Z from forum member, would you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane1974
I did buy a car from here sight unseen. Although I had a few unexpected things to work out, I love the car. You are much better off buying from a forum member than Autotrader or ebay. You have a much better chance of getting a well cared for car. I have some experience in the car business. I sold 400 cars last year. Best of luck and I hope you enjoy whatever you purchase.
Thank you, I think I made my decision.

Originally Posted by PeteZ06
If you follow the sellers posts... he also sold a blue Z06 not too long ago and the buyer seems very satisfied.

What more do you need?

It really sounds to me like maybe you changed your mind and are looking for a reason to back out.
Back out? Oh no. If you only knew. I shouldn't even be looking at a Z06, period. I'm literally moving in 3 weeks so dealing with a move. I'm making myself want it.

Originally Posted by Shane1974
I hate getting a deposit and holding a car and losing the chance to sell it to someone else.
I can see what your saying. I'm a legit buyer however. I rather not waste my time nor the sellers.

Originally Posted by sabastian458
My advice was generic, not specific to the current member and car.
Thanks!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:35 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

So John the seller just called me, I'm pulling the trigger on it. Im taking a chance, so here we go....!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED
So John the seller just called me, I'm pulling the trigger on it. Im taking a chance, so here we go....!
Good deal man. Hope you love it!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:57 PM
novetteyet77
Cruising

I live in Vegas and would be happy to take a look for you. I bought an 02 EB Z06 a couple years ago. It was in California so I flew there and drove it home. I was a little worried about spending my time and money traveling to buy a car I hadn't seen but it turned out to be a great car.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Euthanizer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

I have talked to the guy and he seems cool, the car looks very nice and even if you paid him full price your getting a great car for the money.

But ya someone else brought up a good point in he has sold a car before on the forum and the new owner was happy so that should seal the deal.

Grats on a sweet ride!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:55 AM
moe24
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

Thier is companys that will inspect it for you for a small fee..when I was planning on buying a car from Texas, I hired a mobile inspection company to go to the cars location and inspect it out for $150.theres 3 different packages and I think the cheapest was like $75 and they'll do a simple inspection like check the brakes, oil level etc..the $150 package they get under the car(on jack stands) amd inspect for leaks and stuff like that, do a compression test, test drive it to see if the gears are grinding, if the engine is running smooth etc...
Heres one such company that dose it
http://www.aimmobileinspections.com/howAiMworks

I didn't know they had mobile inspection companys like that untill my bro in law told me about it AND I almost was about to wire the money for the car to the dealer because the salesman was lying his *** off and was going on how the car was 100% problem free .
Anyways i ended up not getting the car because it had transmission issues that the dealer did not tell me about and it also had a small leak coming from the rear seal or something like that..the guy that I hired to inspect the car for me really saved me from buying a problematic z06 at retail price so that $150 was well spent.

Last edited by moe24; 04-04-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:40 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED
I've read about the valve spring issue which he claims he's never had an issue and it's a low VIN as well for an '02.
If the seller has any history on if the original valve springs have changed or not, you need to find out. If unsure, I'd suggest getting them changed out. Would hate to see one fail, it's a beautiful Zee.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:51 AM
Darkrider02
Instructor

He's not lying about buying the car from a professional detailer. They guy who owned it before him is in a local forum.
And I know the guy took car of it and detailed that zo6 as thorough as possible.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:03 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
I would not spend that kind of money without physically looking it over and test driving it. These cars are known to have trans problems if driven hard (raced) or rear diff issues. It could be real hard shifting, popping out of gear etc. These can be very costly repairs. No offense to anyone but I dont just take anyones word even if they are a longtime member here. If Im spending $20k on a 10+ year old car I would have to look it over really closely. Thankfully I found mine 2 hours away.
Exactly what he said!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:57 PM
spdrcr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Darkrider02
He's not lying about buying the car from a professional detailer. They guy who owned it before him is in a local forum.
And I know the guy took car of it and detailed that zo6 as thorough as possible.

Was that GoFast's old Z06? If so, it was immaculate. Very few cars are taken care of as well as that one.

I've bought significantly more expensive cars sight-unseen from across the country. You just have to do your due diligence. In looking at this example I wouldn't hesitate to do the same here.

Last edited by spdrcr; 04-04-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:35 PM
C5Conrad
Pro

Originally Posted by spdrcr
Was that GoFast's old Z06? If so, it was immaculate. Very few cars are taken care of as well as that one.
I was thinking it was his also. He's an excellent detailer!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:55 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Originally Posted by moe24
Thier is companys that will inspect it for you for a small fee..when I was planning on buying a car from Texas, I hired a mobile inspection company to go to the cars location and inspect it out for $150.theres 3 different packages and I think the cheapest was like $75 and they'll do a simple inspection like check the brakes, oil level etc..the $150 package they get under the car(on jack stands) amd inspect for leaks and stuff like that, do a compression test, test drive it to see if the gears are grinding, if the engine is running smooth etc...
Heres one such company that dose it
http://www.aimmobileinspections.com/howAiMworks

I didn't know they had mobile inspection companys like that untill my bro in law told me about it AND I almost was about to wire the money for the car to the dealer because the salesman was lying his *** off and was going on how the car was 100% problem free .
Anyways i ended up not getting the car because it had transmission issues that the dealer did not tell me about and it also had a small leak coming from the rear seal or something like that..the guy that I hired to inspect the car for me really saved me from buying a problematic z06 at retail price so that $150 was well spent.
Thanks! Definitely some good information out there. I've never heard of this. I definitely plan on getting it inspected whether this or him taking the car to get inspected with a receipt and results before I physically see it.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
If the seller has any history on if the original valve springs have changed or not, you need to find out. If unsure, I'd suggest getting them changed out. Would hate to see one fail, it's a beautiful Zee.
I've been trying to find this out. I pulled the car fax from a member that helped me out. And found it has had 6 previous owners including the current owner. Owners 1-4 had it the first 5 years, 5th owner had it for 5 years (professional detailer), and the 6th current had it for 2+ years this far. So I'd like to find this out. Maybe the GM oasis report that ill be trying to get tomorrow may have something.

Originally Posted by Darkrider02
Judging by the pictures it looks great. I'm more mechanically cautious if anything. Leaks, valves and anything major is what I want to prepare for.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:00 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have done it before, just make sure the member is reputable and it looks like that seller is definitively. Plus that car is cleannn!!
Old 04-04-2014, 08:10 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

OP please post AFTER you pick up your new Corvette, and let us know how it works out! Hoping all is well for you and yours
Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 PM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Originally Posted by envyz06
I have done it before, just make sure the member is reputable and it looks like that seller is definitively. Plus that car is cleannn!!
Yes, it does look that way. First Corvette so if all goes well I see a C6 Z06 in my future and then a C7. Gotta crawl before you walk,

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
OP please post AFTER you pick up your new Corvette, and let us know how it works out! Hoping all is well for you and yours
Will do!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:35 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

nope, plane tickets aren't that expensive

these cars are too old to buy sight unseen

too many pigs with lipstick on the market
Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
nope, plane tickets aren't that expensive

these cars are too old to buy sight unseen

too many pigs with lipstick on the market
Hopefully it works out, although a lot of members here are vouching for the owner. Two guesses were they'll be if this goes south. I have no idea what a fantastic detailer has to do with buying a car. That's the last thing you should be looking for. Unless you are getting the deal of the century (and this a good deal...not a great one) it probably would have waited for verfication.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a sight unseen '02 C5Z from forum member, would you?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

This is the car mentioned in this post! Sight unseen from same seller, great car! Less wheels!

Oh yea wheels from a another great forum member!!!

Last edited by fisher auto; 04-04-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Jurgen1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are still man of their words out there but if you are worried have him take it to a chevy dealer you pay the inspection fee and go from there . I got my z06 from a member and it is better then described I took a mans word made arrangements and it got here safe and sound .
Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 AM
FINALLYSATISFIED
Instructor

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Hopefully it works out, although a lot of members here are vouching for the owner. Two guesses were they'll be if this goes south. I have no idea what a fantastic detailer has to do with buying a car. That's the last thing you should be looking for. Unless you are getting the deal of the century (and this a good deal...not a great one) it probably would have waited for verfication.
Hopefully everything goes smooth. So we shall see. I'm trying to stay optimistic that everything will go great. The whole previous owner being a detailer did strike me as odd as that is suppose to make me confident in the vehicle? Idk. Lol. But seeing as how the car has had quite a few previous owners the whole detailer thing doesn't mean much to me.

Originally Posted by fisher auto
This is the car mentioned in this post! Sight unseen from same seller, great car! Less wheels!

Oh yea wheels from a another great forum member!!!
Nice! Happy to hear you love the vehicle! John seems to be a great gentlemen.

Originally Posted by Jurgen1
There are still man of their words out there but if you are worried have him take it to a chevy dealer you pay the inspection fee and go from there . I got my z06 from a member and it is better then described I took a mans word made arrangements and it got here safe and sound .
Cautious, not worried. But yes me and the owner agreed that he'd take it to a dealership. Already had a "inspection delivery" appointment for today, The appt is at 830am today. It's a $170 fee which I don't mind I just want a mechanically sound vehicle and no surprises.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Buying a sight unseen '02 C5Z from forum member, would you?