[Z06] Monster Level 2 or Manic ER2??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:52 AM
ls6vettenc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Level 2 or Manic ER2??

Hello,

Rebuilding the trans in my 03 z06 due to some reverse issues, so Im going to replace the clutch while its out. I was going with an LS7, but have changed my mind to either a monster level 2 or mantic er2. Just wondering who has experience with one or the other, and which is better. Car is stock for now, down the road will be doing intake/cam/tune.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:19 PM
dr_whigham
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ls6vettenc
Hello, Rebuilding the trans in my 03 z06 due to some reverse issues, so Im going to replace the clutch while its out. I was going with an LS7, but have changed my mind to either a monster level 2 or mantic er2. Just wondering who has experience with one or the other, and which is better. Car is stock for now, down the road will be doing intake/cam/tune.
Ran a Monster Level 2 with an 18# flywheel in my 2001 Camaro SS. Clutch took everything I could possibly throw at it and never skipped a beat. No drive ability issues at all with the lighter FW as well.

Car made 460/420 through a FAST 92/92, AFR 205's and an Ed Curtis HellRaiser cam.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:41 PM
427ZM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Between the 2 Monster hands down. I have a friend struggling to have his ER2 hold the 520 wheel his Vette is putting down right now.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

ER2 and don't look back. It is rare to find someone that is not happy with this clutch.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...c-er2-ftw.html

Last edited by Water_Walker; 03-13-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:02 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ls6vettenc
Hello,

Rebuilding the trans in my 03 z06 due to some reverse issues, so Im going to replace the clutch while its out. I was going with an LS7, but have changed my mind to either a monster level 2 or mantic er2. Just wondering who has experience with one or the other, and which is better. Car is stock for now, down the road will be doing intake/cam/tune.
I'm going to be a bit biased...

I'd recommend either our Level 2, or, our new street twin. The new street twin uses a C7 twin disc on a conversion flywheel - this will hold 650 rwhp easily and drive just like stock with no b.s.

Call us, we'll get you taken care of.

Oh, we're starting a sale next week as well.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:05 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Ran a Monster Level 2 with an 18# flywheel in my 2001 Camaro SS. Clutch took everything I could possibly throw at it and never skipped a beat. No drive ability issues at all with the lighter FW as well.

Car made 460/420 through a FAST 92/92, AFR 205's and an Ed Curtis HellRaiser cam.
Originally Posted by 427ZM
Between the 2 Monster hands down. I have a friend struggling to have his ER2 hold the 520 wheel his Vette is putting down right now.
Thanks for the kind words guys!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:30 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Water_Walker
ER2 and don't look back. It is rare to find someone that is not happy with this clutch.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...c-er2-ftw.html
i don't really understand these. you have ceramic on one side and organic on the other. how does the organic side hold more than an organic clutch?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:14 PM
ls6vettenc
Instructor

Originally Posted by SNL/MonsterClutchCo
I'm going to be a bit biased...

I'd recommend either our Level 2, or, our new street twin. The new street twin uses a C7 twin disc on a conversion flywheel - this will hold 650 rwhp easily and drive just like stock with no b.s.

Call us, we'll get you taken care of.

Oh, we're starting a sale next week as well.
I will be contacting you..
Old 03-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I love my Monster Stage 2 with light weight flywheel.
It feels like stock and seems to take my 471/441 to the wheels easily.
I really enjoyed the lighter flywheel too.
It just felt quicker by reducing the drive line weight.

Toque
Old 03-14-2014, 09:25 PM
427ZM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, also, when you contact monster, enquire about their New LT1 dual clutch. They've setup a conversion kit for it to work in our C5 and C6's. It can hold even more power, while maintaing stock pedal feel.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What ended up coming of this? I had planned to order the Mantic this week, but then I ran across the guy slipping an ER2 at 520rwhp and second-guessed the decision... How much does the new street twin cost? How much more does it weigh over stock? Is there a lightweight flywheel with that one as well? Is there any disadvantage to longevity or drag strip performance (not my priority, but still a question nonetheless) if one gets a Level 2 with the 18lb flywheel vs the 28? Thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

I have about 500 miles on a level 5. Clutch feels good. It works like a light switch. lol
Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 PM
ls6vettenc
Instructor

I have about 400 miles on the monster level 2 with 28lb flywheel. It feels good, almost as smooth as stock, but not quite. The pedal pressure is fine, maybe slightly stiffer than stock. I'm happy with it so far.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:35 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I don't dislike my ER2... For me, in retrospect I should have gone w a twin disk... JP is referring to me... He and I are running a Runway Rivalry next month... I am going to beat on the Mantic and see how it really does...

Originally Posted by rjwz28
What ended up coming of this? I had planned to order the Mantic this week, but then I ran across the guy slipping an ER2 at 520rwhp and second-guessed the decision... How much does the new street twin cost? How much more does it weigh over stock? Is there a lightweight flywheel with that one as well? Is there any disadvantage to longevity or drag strip performance (not my priority, but still a question nonetheless) if one gets a Level 2 with the 18lb flywheel vs the 28? Thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 02:47 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
I don't dislike my ER2... For me, in retrospect I should have gone w a twin disk... JP is referring to me... He and I are running a Runway Rivalry next month... I am going to beat on the Mantic and see how it really does...
Yup, I knew he was referring to you since I PM'd you on that exact topic... I just don't want to run into the same issue should I end up building an engine for this car

The Monster Level 2 is rated to take around the high end of whatever I would aim for in a build, and with the lower cost of entry, heavily discounted slave, and lightweight flywheel, it is an appealing alternative... I still am interested in the ER2, I just don't want to spend more money for less satisfaction

I'm also interested in the LT1 twin disc, hopefully Monster will chime back in here so I can make up my mind and order something
Old 04-18-2014, 04:55 PM
skull
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

MANTIC. im on my third monster in 10k miles and its just a weekend toy. so my next purchase will be a MANTIC twin 9000.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:55 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,301 Posts

The new LT1-S is currently on sale for 125 off with free shipping making it $975 to your door for the standard weight billet flywheel which is what I'd recommend. That set-up weighs in at 53.5lbs which is roughly the same as stock though the weight is closer to the center of rotation making the MOI less actually. There is a lightweight option for the guys more interested in road racing and wanting faster/easier rev matching. For daily driving and drag racing you want to store more energy in the flywheel to help the car take off easier with less slippage which ultimately would wear a clutch faster. Hope that helps, feel free to call me for a faster response.

Originally Posted by skull
MANTIC. im on my third monster in 10k miles and its just a weekend toy. so my next purchase will be a MANTIC twin 9000.
Hmmm, unless you're a dragstrip junky something doesn't sound right and it may not be the clutches fault...feel free to call me to discuss details so we can get to the bottom of what's going on, thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Monster Level 2 or Manic ER2??

Old 04-18-2014, 05:55 PM
racerx_72
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to start this off by saying I don't have either of these clutch in my car, but the clutch I have was giving me some problem and I called Steve over at Monster and told him I don't have one of your clutch in my car and he help me anyway even called me back to make sure I got the problem fix. This is the kind of customer service I like, so with this being said Monster clutch will be the next clutch in my car. Thanks Steve for the help
Old 04-20-2014, 11:27 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
The new LT1-S is currently on sale for 125 off with free shipping making it $975 to your door for the standard weight billet flywheel which is what I'd recommend. That set-up weighs in at 53.5lbs which is roughly the same as stock though the weight is closer to the center of rotation making the MOI less actually. There is a lightweight option for the guys more interested in road racing and wanting faster/easier rev matching. For daily driving and drag racing you want to store more energy in the flywheel to help the car take off easier with less slippage which ultimately would wear a clutch faster. Hope that helps, feel free to call me for a faster response.

Hmmm, unless you're a dragstrip junky something doesn't sound right and it may not be the clutches fault...feel free to call me to discuss details so we can get to the bottom of what's going on, thanks.
Since it's Sunday, I'll reply here, but you may hear from me tomorrow...

$975 shipped sounds solid; do you guys still have a deal on the GM slave cylinder if purchased with the clutch? I'd like a quote shipped on the LT1-S, slave, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing, and if you sell the quick disconnect tool and giubos I could use those as well... I haven't seen anything detailing what comes with this clutch kit, so I may be asking for things that are included anyway.

Also, I already own a Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder that I never got the opportunity to install (I broke my trans first); would it be detrimental or advantageous to install this before I hit the road with my new setup?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by racerx_72
I'm going to start this off by saying I don't have either of these clutch in my car, but the clutch I have was giving me some problem and I called Steve over at Monster and told him I don't have one of your clutch in my car and he help me anyway even called me back to make sure I got the problem fix. This is the kind of customer service I like, so with this being said Monster clutch will be the next clutch in my car. Thanks Steve for the help
Appreciate the kind words and you're always welcome...looking forward to seeing your beast on the dyno
Since it's Sunday, I'll reply here, but you may hear from me tomorrow...

$975 shipped sounds solid; do you guys still have a deal on the GM slave cylinder if purchased with the clutch? I'd like a quote shipped on the LT1-S, slave, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing, and if you sell the quick disconnect tool and giubos I could use those as well... I haven't seen anything detailing what comes with this clutch kit, so I may be asking for things that are included anyway.

Also, I already own a Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder that I never got the opportunity to install (I broke my trans first); would it be detrimental or advantageous to install this before I hit the road with my new setup?

Thanks
Give me a call when you get a chance and I'll e-mail you a complete quote

Quick Reply: [Z06] Monster Level 2 or Manic ER2??