Sponsored by:

[Z06] Paint is looking better!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:25 AM
6SpeedTA95
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Paint is looking better!

As some of you may remember, I picked up an 04 Vette, the paint was overall good but had some swirl marks. Just got it back from a buddy who owns/runs a detail shop here in town. While it's not perfect, it is vastly improved!

Couple of before

after

And a few more for good measure...

So much construction right now it's tough to keep clean even for a day But the paint looks pretty good now.

Last edited by 6SpeedTA95; 01-12-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 AM
MonolithMonolith
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. I got the same problems with my red Z. I plan on trying to restore it myself this spring.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:07 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Looks great!!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good, All the colors are easy to revive with some elbow grease... Only one that is a pain in the *** is Black...
Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Breze84
Looks good, All the colors are easy to revive with some elbow grease... Only one that is a pain in the *** is Black...
Revive is one thing but removing swirls is an entire new ball game
Old 01-12-2014, 07:21 PM
6SpeedTA95
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by envyz06
Thats exactly why I wasn't going to do it myself...
Old 01-12-2014, 08:57 PM
fillintheblanks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha thats very clean! Looks brand new!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Originally Posted by envyz06
Not really. You invest in a portacable and use some 3M compound and finish it up with a glaze. In 2.5 hrs time it will look like a mirror. You just gotta know what you're doing. I actually enjoy it so its no big deal....
Old 01-12-2014, 11:58 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Looks much improved!
Old 01-13-2014, 09:56 PM
jonn127
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

2.5 hours for a swirl free finish with just a portercable huh? On a corvette clear coat no less. That's uhhhhh, pretty impressive.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Originally Posted by jonn127
2.5 hours for a swirl free finish with just a portercable huh? On a corvette clear coat no less. That's uhhhhh, pretty impressive.
Yea, Here is a vid after about 2.5 hrs with a portercable on my old Z06.... Not the best quality video but the car didn't have one swirl when it was done and it was black. My Red Z06 is a little easier...

Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 PM
jonn127
Racer

I won't lie, it looks really good, but without any true sun shots in the paint or a direct light source, it's going to look like glass, especially if a glaze has been put on top. Regardless, the paint does look really, really good.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:33 PM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Breze84
Not really. You invest in a portacable and use some 3M compound and finish it up with a glaze. In 2.5 hrs time it will look like a mirror. You just gotta know what you're doing. I actually enjoy it so its no big deal....
Okay...When can I bring my BLACK Z06 over to you.... . Tons of swirl marks from previous owner (original owner) for 12 years!! Have plans on taking it to a body shop who does fine work this Spring before showing it anywhere. Just purchased a set of new Gloss Black C6 wheels with the outer red ring installed on the perimeter of the wheels...But will not have those installed until its back from getting the paint finished like brand new....
Old 01-14-2014, 08:07 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I won't lie, it looks really good, but without any true sun shots in the paint or a direct light source, it's going to look like glass, especially if a glaze has been put on top. Regardless, the paint does look really, really good.
agreed. washing, claying, washing again, then taping takes at least 2.5 hours much less compounding/polishing the whole car. If you have to use a glaze then you did it wrong.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Thanks, Yea a direct sunlight pic would have been good but I took pics later in the day... It did look good though...

Originally Posted by Zeeman
Okay...When can I bring my BLACK Z06 over to you.... . Tons of swirl marks from previous owner (original owner) for 12 years!! Have plans on taking it to a body shop who does fine work this Spring before showing it anywhere. Just purchased a set of new Gloss Black C6 wheels with the outer red ring installed on the perimeter of the wheels...But will not have those installed until its back from getting the paint finished like brand new....
Bring it over lol ... Yea the car will look tough when its done...

Originally Posted by encasedmetal
agreed. washing, claying, washing again, then taping takes at least 2.5 hours much less compounding/polishing the whole car. If you have to use a glaze then you did it wrong.
Don't know why it would take you 2.5 hours to do just that unless your taking smoke breaks or beer breaks... I rinse the car, Wash the car, Rinse the car Wash the car again and while its soapy I then clay bar while its soapy and slick so your not playing around doing 1ft increments with detail spray. I then rinse the car again and dry, Then I can begin my detail. I don't usually tape anything unless I know I will be getting close, Such as the Brake duct and window trim ect. I use 3M 36060 cutting compound for the first step, then finish with either 3M 05996 or Brilliant Glaze. Depends on what I got. This takes me between 2.5-3hrs max... Its not rocket science and I have had enough cars to know what needs to be done to do it... If you think Glaze is wrong then more power to you, But I can tell you my paint will tell you different as well as any real detailer

Last edited by Breze84; 01-14-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:02 PM
jonn127
Racer

Well as Long as you are achieving the results you want, who cares right? What do detailers know.... my guess iIs one day you got some bad advice, bought some things and went to town on your vette. My guess is you hazed the ever living **** out out your paint. In a panic you threw some glaze on to hide the haze. After the glaze went on, you had the illusion of a defect free car, I'm sure the new owner was quite pleased to see that when the glaze wore off, he was left a mess.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:09 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

everyone has a different opinion of perfection I guess.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Originally Posted by encasedmetal
Well as Long as you are achieving the results you want, who cares right? What do detailers know.... my guess iIs one day you got some bad advice, bought some things and went to town on your vette. My guess is you hazed the ever living **** out out your paint. In a panic you threw some glaze on to hide the haze. After the glaze went on, you had the illusion of a defect free car, I'm sure the new owner was quite pleased to see that when the glaze wore off, he was left a mess.
Bipolar? lmfao, One second your saying the paint looks great blah blah blah then your telling me I got bad advice, Hazed my paint and covered it up with Glaze ... Anyone who knows detailing knows you are not covering any haze with Glaze lol, Don't act like you know me guy because I can assure you any of my cars would look better 2ft up then yours 50 out...... And in other news the owner who purchased it was more then happy...

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...857&highlight=

I may have hazed my GTO as well lol

Last edited by Breze84; 01-15-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:02 PM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

youre correct, glaze doesnt hide hazing (which is caused by compounding) it rather hides swirls and scratches. its your car and obviously you can do what you like especially if you like the results.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint is looking better!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Paint is looking better!