Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Tires for C5 Z06 (RS3, S04, Rival and others)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:56 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

the star spec is or was available in 265 40 17

problem is what you would match it with in the rear
Old 01-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Mig233
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Correct…

If I could wait a few months (maybe March), there should be new summer tires coming out. The PSS and S-04s have been around since 2011.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:41 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

just bought my 04 with the original F1's, 10 yrs old and 15k miles on um./..absolutley scarey driving it home...sideways in 2nd at 3/4 throttle...
bought new bridgestones re 760's , stock sizes ..very happy so far..and price under $1k out the door at discount...

good luck on your choice, for street these tires so far...have been great...quiet, smooth, and hook great...the car is stock and its my 6th vette................
Old 01-12-2014, 02:28 PM
getkong
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 275/40-17 with the NT05 up front because i wanted matched tires front and rear. When I went to a square setup to fit my c6z06 brakes, i put the nt05 with like 4k miles up front, and put the rivals out back. They were pretty good at the track day at Sonoma, but with a mix of nt05 and rival, I don't think I can really say it was all tire or going to a more neutral square setup, alignment, or just getting more comfortable with the car on track.

I recall the nt05 also comes with 7/32 tread, just like the rivals?

As for wear, I've only have the Rivals for a thousand miles or so, so no real data there yet.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:32 PM
hxrly
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see the S-04s as another choice, since I run 285s Michelin PSS in stock 18"s all around. I've had the NT05 and DWs, both good in their own way.

Next I might order the Rivals in 295 if I decide I will be doing a couple of track days and a few autocross events in between.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:09 PM
jake07Z06
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Toyo r888. Done.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:59 AM
Mig233
Racer

Originally Posted by hxrly
Nice to see the S-04s as another choice, since I run 285s Michelin PSS in stock 18"s all around. I've had the NT05 and DWs, both good in their own way.

Next I might order the Rivals in 295 if I decide I will be doing a couple of track days and a few autocross events in between.
Yea, it's strange that, from what I can tell, Corvette guys don't really run these tires too often. It sucks that I will have to size down to 255/285 but the price/performance/longevity seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. I just missed the $70 rebate that expired in December! I will probably run the S-04s in the next couple of months, then spend time trying to find a set of 18x10.5 speedlines. I LOVE the idea of running 285/35/18s all around.

Originally Posted by jake07Z06
Toyo r888. Done.
Are they even street legal?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:49 AM
ThumperNC24
Pro

Originally Posted by Mig233
Yea, it's strange that, from what I can tell, Corvette guys don't really run these tires too often. It sucks that I will have to size down to 255/285 but the price/performance/longevity seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. I just missed the $70 rebate that expired in December! I will probably run the S-04s in the next couple of months, then spend time trying to find a set of 18x10.5 speedlines. I LOVE the idea of running 285/35/18s all around.

Yes, but they say "recommended for competition events only" on the side just like the Toyo RA1s. After they aren't brand new i would be scared to drive them in heavy rain.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:32 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The PSS is OEM on the C7 and will be OEM on the C7Z06 as well. The only reason you don't see them on the C5s is that C5s run a wheel setup that modern performance cars do not. OEMs support tire development more than used car customers do.

If you switch to a squared 18 or any combination of 18/19/20 setup, you can run the PSS on the C5 just fine
Old 04-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Mig233
Racer

So I bought tires yesterday! I bought Potenza S-04 Pole Positions in 255/40/17 and 285/35/18. I decided on these tires a couple months ago and have been waiting for tire rack to offer a rebate...which never came.

I bought these at Costco. They were offering a $70 rebate. The bill came to $895 installed and includes lifetime balancing (and rotation if it was possible) and a road hazard warranty. I couldn't find anyone that could touch that price and I have been looking high and low. I have always tried to buy tires at one of the wholesale clubs...always seems to work out the best when they actually carry what I'm looking for. I had to order these, so they probably won't be mounted before the weekend. I will write a full up review on the tire after I put some mileage on them.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:01 PM
LS1 Goat 91
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I bought tires yesterday! I bought Potenza S-04 Pole Positions in 255/40/17 and 285/35/18. I decided on these tires a couple months ago and have been waiting for tire rack to offer a rebate...which never came. I bought these at Costco. They were offering a $70 rebate. The bill came to $895 installed and includes lifetime balancing (and rotation if it was possible) and a road hazard warranty. I couldn't find anyone that could touch that price and I have been looking high and low. I have always tried to buy tires at one of the wholesale clubs...always seems to work out the best when they actually carry what I'm looking for. I had to order these, so they probably won't be mounted before the weekend. I will write a full up review on the tire after I put some mileage on them.
I just purchased these about 3 weeks ago from tire rack except in 18/19 combo. So far I am pleased with them. My guess is you will be happy
Old 04-03-2014, 11:40 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Skipping to the end. Buy the Rivals dude. I have them on my rear and they are awesome. Haven't got to the track on them yet, but hopefully soon. There are some great reviews of them on track if you Google "Rival review". They outperformed and outlasted everything, including the Toyo R888.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Mig233
Racer

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
Skipping to the end. Buy the Rivals dude. I have them on my rear and they are awesome. Haven't got to the track on them yet, but hopefully soon. There are some great reviews of them on track if you Google "Rival review". They outperformed and outlasted everything, including the Toyo R888.
I did consider them. In fact, I posted on your thread about them haha! I asked you to comment on the treadwear. But that was exactly why I didn't go with them. They come with something like 7.5/32 thread depth. I mostly drive on the street. I do want to do an autocross or trackday, but it will be 90+% street miles.

Basically, I was looking for the PSS (responsiveness/dry & wet grip/treadlife) to fit my stock wheels. I think the S-04 will fit the bill in that regard.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 AM
mikebq
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default toyo tires

Originally Posted by jake07Z06
Toyo r888. Done.
Did you put those toyo R888's on yet? I wanted your opinion. I getting new rubber this month and wanted to hear your experience.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:23 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I did consider them. In fact, I posted on your thread about them haha! I asked you to comment on the treadwear. But that was exactly why I didn't go with them. They come with something like 7.5/32 thread depth. I mostly drive on the street. I do want to do an autocross or trackday, but it will be 90+% street miles.

Basically, I was looking for the PSS (responsiveness/dry & wet grip/treadlife) to fit my stock wheels. I think the S-04 will fit the bill in that regard.
The treadwear was incredible even on track. Check this out:
http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Revie...orce-Rival.htm
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar145492.html
Old 04-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Nitto 335-30-18 DR
Fit fine. Probably will get 8,000 miles out of them.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Mig233
Racer

OK so here's the breaking news. I got the tires installed yesterday...they look great:

So the grip is great, way better than the old stock supercars were...I can hookup most of 1st gear, and definitely 2nd. Yesterday was 60 degrees, and the top of 1st held decently, and it would break them lose shifting into 2nd and then hook. I never knew how fast this car actually got down the road!

Here's the thing. The old supercars were 10 years old, hard, and had little tread left...especially on the front where the insides were corded. But the steering response was outstanding, almost violent. At 100 mph, I could absolutely cut the wheel and the car would just point and shoot. The question was whether it would stick or not. I did the same on these new tires and was all over the place! I could feel the tire flexing beneath the car and it was totally disconcerting. Felt like total ****! These tires have 10/32" tread depth, where the supercars have 8/32" new and probably had like 3-4/32" when I took them off. I believe what I'm experiencing here is tread squirm. Tire Rack says that it should break in and feel right in about 500 miles...http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=5. These tires are supposed to have stiffer sidewalls than the PSS, and has a similiar tread pattern, so I could only imagine was the PSS feels like new. I'm just got sure if it's the construction of the tires, the tread depth, or the break-in period causing this.

The car grips well, it just isn't NEARLY as responsive as it was, and that was my favorite part about the Z. So I have two options: Keep these and hope they break in. Or return them (30 day try and buy or something) and just get some BFG Rivals. But biggest reason against the Rivals was the tread depth, but in retrospect they are at that tread depth for a reason.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Last edited by Mig233; 04-09-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires for C5 Z06 (RS3, S04, Rival and others)

Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 AM
TypeIsCheap
Intermediate

It will take some miles (or a couple of good autocross runs!) for the mold release to scrub off especially on the front. Also you may want to play with tire pressures, different brands have different sweet spots depending on construction.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:48 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

OK so here's the breaking news. I got the tires installed yesterday...they look great:

So the grip is great, way better than the old stock supercars were...I can hookup most of 1st gear, and definitely 2nd. Yesterday was 60 degrees, and the top of 1st held decently, and it would break them lose shifting into 2nd and then hook. I never knew how fast this car actually got down the road!

Here's the thing. The old supercars were 10 years old, hard, and had little tread left...especially on the front where the insides were corded. But the steering response was outstanding, almost violent. At 100 mph, I could absolutely cut the wheel and the car would just point and shoot. The question was whether it would stick or not. I did the same on these new tires and was all over the place! I could feel the tire flexing beneath the car and it was totally disconcerting. Felt like total ****! These tires have 10/32" tread depth, where the supercars have 8/32" new and probably had like 3-4/32" when I took them off. I believe what I'm experiencing here is tread squirm. Tire Rack says that it should break in and feel right in about 500 miles...http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=5. These tires are supposed to have stiffer sidewalls than the PSS, and has a similiar tread pattern, so I could only imagine was the PSS feels like new. I'm just got sure if it's the construction of the tires, the tread depth, or the break-in period causing this.

The car grips well, it just isn't NEARLY as responsive as it was, and that was my favorite part about the Z. So I have two options: Keep these and hope they break in. Or return them (30 day try and buy or something) and just get some BFG Rivals. But biggest reason against the Rivals was the tread depth, but in retrospect they are at that tread depth for a reason.

Has anyone had any experience with this?
check your alignment, toe is the #1 cause of responsiveness, however, bridgestone hasn't been known to make razor sharp steering tires

try zero toe in front, 1/16th in out back and maybe neg 1deg up front and .8 out back.

also check the tire pressure, start with 30psi cold and see what you get

should check the alignment everytime you change the tires. they have a pretty substantial impact on it
Old 04-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
This is a load of BS.

I would guarantee they outlasted the Toyo R888, but not outperformed them. The Toyos are a competition tire in a 100 treadwear R compound. They stick amazingly and wear fast. They are only 6/32's new and aren't designed to last forever. However, they are a road race tire and designed for exactly that.

The Rivals are great, no doubt. The RS3, Rival, and RE-11's are all fantastic tires. But they aren't among the Toyo R888's, Nitto 555R-II's, or Nitto NT01's.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tires for C5 Z06 (RS3, S04, Rival and others)