Sponsored by:

[Z06] Help me make THE Decision, to trade my coupe for a ZO6 or a new coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 09:21 PM
Tekno
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me make THE Decision, to trade my coupe for a ZO6 or a new coupe

Here are a few questions for you ZO6 guys, help me as much as you can because I don't want to make the wrong decision.

1. What is the HP difference between the 2001 2002 ZO6, not what GM says, the REAL hp difference at the rear wheels.

2. Do you guys blow shifts alot when racing, I don't want to screw the car up with the occasional gruge race.

3. For the guys that have drove 6 speeds and auto's, do you regret having the 6 speed now?

4. Basically, is it worth the $$ to get the ZO6. I could mod out my current car but I have 26,000 miles on it and I want to sell it before the miles get to high.

Off topic, would it be a good idea to get rid of my car now before it bumped 30,000 miles?

Thanks for your help guys
Old 07-06-2002, 10:34 PM
Delvette
Advanced

Default Re: Help me make THE Decision, to trade my coupe for a ZO6 or a new coupe (Tekno)

I've never driven anything but an automatic until I got the ZO6 four weeks ago. I had a '98 Coupe and a '99 Convertible, both A4's. The timing on your question about an opinion on a 6-speed vs. automatic is bad from my standpoint. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but the 6-speed is like a noose around my neck. Oh its fun to wind it up when you can but when you get log-jammed in traffic and lights it's about as frustrating as you can get. :mad As far as straight line runs go, I like the automatic. My '99 Convertible had Dual K&N's, Corsa Indy's and was Hypertech Programmed. With the automatic you don't need to be concerned about things like misjudging the clutch pedal, blowing a shift, hitting the rev limiter, etc., etc. I think 1st gear is really tough in the ZO6 especially if you want to get off in a hurry- there is just no forgiveness there. Keep in mind I've only been driving this Z for a month. With the automatic you just plain go, no question about it, because the only thing you can foul up on is too much throttle off the line with traction control off. It's just foot to the floor after that and the shifts into 2nd, etc. are smooth, quick, and efficient every single time- you can take it to the bank. So...shoot me...I'm just no purist. Also, with a hypertech programmer, you can program the automatic such that the WOT shifts occur very close, but not over, the rev limiter setting. Meanwhile the guy with the manual trans (in an equivalent car) had better be very very good on his launch and every single shift or he is mine. IMHO- Just too many things to foul up with a manual trans.
But, if you think you are real sharp with a manual trans, and don't mind spending a lot of time clutching and shifting, I would definitely go for the ZO6. Besides, there's much more to the Z than flat out speed. I'ts an awesome car. However, all things considered, if I had it to do all over again knowing what I know now, I would have bought an '02 Coupe, saved about $10K, and put some of that savings into mods. Good luck. It's a tough decision. :)

[Modified by Delvette, 2:37 AM 7/7/2002]

[Modified by Delvette, 2:39 AM 7/7/2002]
Old 07-06-2002, 11:30 PM
maticam
Racer

Default Re: Help me make THE Decision, to trade my coupe for a ZO6 or a new coupe (Tekno)

ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS GO FOR IT THE ZO6 PULLS LIKE A BIG BLOCK BUT THE TOTAL PACKAGE OF ZO6 IS WHAT MAKES IT GREAT I ALWAYS HAD A STANDARD TRANS HAD A BIG BLOCK 68 L89 THIS CAR IS MORE FUN TO DRIVE THEN MY OLD ONE...
Old 07-06-2002, 11:45 PM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Help me make THE Decision, to trade my coupe for a ZO6 or a new coupe (maticam)

Just go for it-I had a C5 for 4 mos and realized modding wouldn't give me the experience I get when behind the wheel of a Z06. Have you driven a Z yet? Get the vette that you REALLY want!

-Leslie
Old 07-07-2002, 01:17 AM
Gary Wells
Racer

1. Dunno, but it would be interesting to determine the average stock rear wheel horsepower difference between the 01 & 02 Z06. It might be difficult to get enough people to send in their RWHP dyno numbers to make a statistically valid comparision. Variations would exist between temperature, accuracy of the dyno, car to car variation when everything else is equal, & even different dynos. If enough people sent in their numbers from non-modified 01's & 02's (Z06 only) they could be plotted on a chart called a histogram showing the nonimal horsepower and torque readings and whether the process spread is statistically valid.
2. Dunno, I just brought my new Z06 home this afternoon. I don't want to blow it up the first day or week.
3> yes, I regret having the 6 speed now, but not enough to make me wish that I had gotten the non Z06 350 horse auto. Although I understand GM'S desire to not replace any more trannies than necessary under warranty, I simply wish that they would have made a strong auto an option.
4. In my case yes, it was worth the extra money to get the Z06, and in your case I think that even though it sounds like you are not in love with stick trannies, you would probably get over it's short-comings in a heartbeat. I pretty much did.
Off topic bonus question: That's a tough call, I would say that it depends on whether you want a Z06 or not. Even if you do the necessary mods to make your current car quicker that the Z06, it is doubtful that you will get it quicker and faster than a Z06 at the same time. There was a thread about a week or 2 weeks ago on the differences between the 01 & 02 Z06, and IMHO, there were enough significant changes to warrant my diciding on the 02 Z06. Big brakes in front, HUD standard equipment, front & rear vents, not to mention 20 ponies, regardless of where you measure them, the differrence will remain rather constant. For whatever it's worth, you should be able to get a stellar deal on a new 2002 Z06 right now, while a few are still either on showrooms or still coming to the dealers. In either case, good luck with your decision.
Thanks in advance
Gary Wells
Old 07-07-2002, 01:22 AM
Tekno
Racer

I apprecate all of ya'lls input.
Delvette-good post, you helped alot. I drive my vette as a daily driver, i am constantly fumbling with cd's and i am always on the phone. I think a 6sd will be more a hassle than fun, I like using stall converters and spraying nitrous. Nitrous would be harder with a 6 speed. But i am not rulling the ZO6 out yet.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:02 AM
TacDoc
Racer

I think a 6 speed Coupe with Z51 and trip to LPE for the $8300 Magnuson would be a tough call. Building a Base 2003 Coupe with AQ9, Z51, and MN6 makes an Invoice of $39618.48. My dealer sells me at $500 over, add the $8400 for the LPE massage and you get a 490 HP Z51 for $48518.48. Three thousand more than my 02 Z06, but what a powerhouse.

[Modified by TacDoc, 8:11 AM 7/7/2002]
Old 07-08-2002, 05:32 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Help me make THE Decision, to trade my coupe for a ZO6 or a new coupe (Delvette)

The 6-speed is like a noose around my neck. Oh its fun to wind it up when you can but when you get log-jammed in traffic and lights it's about as frustrating as you can get. :mad As far as straight line runs go, I like the automatic. With the automatic you don't need to be concerned about things like misjudging the clutch pedal, blowing a shift, hitting the rev limiter, etc., etc. I think 1st gear is really tough in the ZO6 especially if you want to get off in a hurry- there is just no forgiveness there. So...shoot me...I'm just no purist. Also, with a hypertech programmer, you can program the automatic such that the WOT shifts occur very close, but not over, the rev limiter setting. Meanwhile the guy with the manual trans (in an equivalent car) had better be very very good on his launch and every single shift or he is mine. IMHO- Just too many things to foul up with a manual trans. However, all things considered, if I had it to do all over again knowing what I know now, I would have bought an '02 Coupe, saved about $10K, and put some of that savings into mods. Good luck. It's a tough decision. :)
A man with true guts to speak his mind!
Old 07-08-2002, 03:01 PM
BIG LAW MAN
Drifting

IMO all Corvettes should be manuals. I'm sorry but there is NOTHING better than ripping through the gears, barking the tires through 3rd, downshifting and punching it when YOU want to, and having TOTAL control over this beast of a car. Auto cars are just not enough fun and you dont feel as connected with the car as you do with a manual. Yeah you may miss a gear now and then, but that is half the fun....learning, practicing and becoming one with your car!! Thats just my .02. As far as the coupe versus the Z06...NIGHT AND DAY difference. This has been beaten to death before but the Z06 is more than just 55 more ponies, it is a TOTAL PACKAGE!!! I almost love the handling prowess of this car more than the raw power!! It does blow if you get caught in traffic, but hey just think of the huge left calf muscle you will soon have!!! :cheers:
Old 07-09-2002, 02:34 AM
bb
Racer

I apprecate all of ya'lls input.
Delvette-good post, you helped alot. I drive my vette as a daily driver, i am constantly fumbling with cd's and i am always on the phone. I think a 6sd will be more a hassle than fun, I like using stall converters and spraying nitrous. Nitrous would be harder with a 6 speed. But i am not rulling the ZO6 out yet.
There are a couple of points to make:

1. As BigLawMan said - it is much more fun to drive the car yourself then to have the car drive itself (6M vs. 4A)

2. Just food for thought, but you just pointed out the biggest problem I have with people that drive autos - you spend to much time fooling around with other stuff, and not enough time paying attention to the road. Doesn't matter what you say, you are less aware of your driving when you are spending your time focused on the phone or CD's.

3. 6M in traffic is no problem; the only people that have an excuse are people in San Francisco!! I drive around NYC in a 5 speed car all the time, and it is no biggie. And traffic in Austin is about as nasty as it gets and I drive my Z there with no gripes.

4. Go test drive a 6M. WE can't decide what car is best for you, and you can't decide based on our opinions. Our opinions are exactly that - OUR opinions. You should truly experience what is best for you before you decide.

5. All you have to do it PRACTICE on the 6M. SW ran his car into the 9's with a 6 speed. HOW??? Experience and practice!!! Those of you complaining about 1st gear on a stock Z should put that into perspective!!!

Regarding selling your car - my personal experience selling many cars has been that it IS easier to sell a car before it gets too close to 30K.

[Modified by bb, 12:38 AM 7/9/2002]
Old 07-09-2002, 05:59 PM
Tekno
Racer

Default Re: Help me make THE Decision, to trade my coupe for a ZO6 or a new coupe (bb)

bb,
I agree it isn't good to be driving while distracted, I am giving the Z more thought.

I am going to go drive a ZO6 and make my decision then, I may love the 6sd--i will never know unless i go drive one.

thnks
Old 07-09-2002, 08:00 PM
BlueZ
Instructor

Wel from what I ahve seen it is a 10-12 rwhp diff. between the '01 and '02.

As far as comparing a regular C-5 to a Z, it's aplles to oranges. You would have to mod about $15,000 to get the equal the performance of a Z.

This includes engine as well as suspension mods.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:25 PM
Bertrand
Burning Brakes

If you really do drive distracted, you shouldn't be driving any 350 hp car. Much less a Z06. This car requires your full attention and doesn't respond well to multitasking.

It is incredibly engaging and fun to drive in an intense, forget about anything else on your mind kind of way. If that's what you want out of a Corvette, it will deliver in spades over what a coupe can ever hope to do (with a full warranty at that). If you want a daily driver to take phone calls on the way to the train or work, stick with the auto coupe.

:cheers:
Old 07-09-2002, 09:32 PM
Delvette
Advanced

Well, I'm not surprized at the responses you have been getting. I think the vast majority of people that post on the Forum are hard core M6ers and very high on the Z. As I said before, I have an '02 Z and I think its a great car too. Remember, when you spend that much extra for a Z most people will tend to justify the purchase by perhaps stretching the significance of the difference between it and a regular C5 or with a few mods. I've had a month with the Z and had two regular C5s before that with a couple mods. It does corner better and it feels a bit quicker but there is no way that its feels dramatically different than my modified C5 with an A4 (K&N's, Corsa Indys and Hypertech). You really need to get a good solid test drive and decide for yourself. When you are finished with the test drive go run your A4 and see if you still think its worth the $10K extra you will pay. If you like it, buy it. If this seems like a negative post that was not my intent. I just think some balance needs to be brought to issue. Good luck. Let us know what you do. :)
Old 07-09-2002, 09:42 PM
bb
Racer

Hi Tekno,

Hope you didn't take my comment personally! I am sure you know what I was getting at . . .

Hope the Z turns out to be everything you dream it would be. It was for me!! The 6M is toooooo fun once you either disable CAGS or learn to get around it.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:45 PM
bb
Racer

Default Re: Help me make THE Decision, to trade my coupe for a ZO6 or a new coupe (Delvette)

Well, I'm not surprized at the responses you have been getting. I think the vast majority of people that post on the Forum are hard core M6ers and very high on the Z
Hey now, I am pro anything that is not auto!!! Even if it is an old-school 3 speed or a 5-on-the-side column shifter!!! :D
Old 07-09-2002, 09:57 PM
Tekno
Racer

Default Re: Help me make THE Decision, to trade my coupe for a ZO6 or a new coupe (Bertrand)

If you really do drive distracted, you shouldn't be driving any 350 hp car. Much less a Z06. This car requires your full attention and doesn't respond well to multitasking.

It is incredibly engaging and fun to drive in an intense, forget about anything else on your mind kind of way. If that's what you want out of a Corvette, it will deliver in spades over what a coupe can ever hope to do (with a full warranty at that). If you want a daily driver to take phone calls on the way to the train or work, stick with the auto coupe.

:cheers:
I am not saying I drive around all day on the phone and with my head in a CD case, 99% of what I do for a living revolves around my phone and i am a car stereo nut. I do occasionally have to take important phone calls in my car, and like most other people with a cd player I do change the cd every now and then. The only point I am trying to make is this is my ONLY mode of transportation other than my chopper, so I have to make a decision I have to live with and drive every day for the next 1-2 years.

bb,
no offense taken, i exaggerated a bit on my driving habbits, i was just trying to say it may be a hassle some times to drive a 6spd. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Help me make THE Decision, to trade my coupe for a ZO6 or a new coupe

Old 07-10-2002, 07:05 PM
CDHough
Racer

Cruise-In II Veteran

Tekno,

I had a 99 coupe before my 02 Z06. My 99 had TRIC intake, Bassani exhaust and x-pipe, PowerLoader II, Ripper, etc. It was a great car. I love the Z06 even more. I like the fact that it is more "rare" than the coupe. It is probably true that if you put the difference in price into pure performance mods, you will have somewhat comparable performance numbers (not sure about warranties on the modded coupe). There are two things that are harder to change with the coupe, the weight and the transmission. I just figured that I would modify either way I went and the Z06 was a better base to modify than the coupe.

Sounds like either way you will have a great ride!

- Charley
Old 07-10-2002, 07:45 PM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Help me make THE Decision, to trade my coupe for a ZO6 or a new coupe (CDHough)

I don't own either but have driven both, my friends 2001 A4 Coupe and my brothers 2002 Z06.

The coupe felt strong, but similar to my C4 with the 4.09 gears, it would be a good race...

The Z06 is insane, it pulls just as hard as my C4 with the 100 shot, and possibly harder (I couldn't beat on it too bad, it was brand new)

I'm very performance oriented, and could drive a stick as a daily driver... my vote would be for a Z06. (even though I'm still tooling around in the C4 :( )
Old 07-10-2002, 08:00 PM
McRat
Instructor

Expect about 40-50rwhp more outta the Z06 vs a A4 LS1 engine.

Shifting.... hehehe...

An Automatic is easier to drive. That's why they call them automatics.

If you want easy, get an A4. If you want FUN, get the M6.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help me make THE Decision, to trade my coupe for a ZO6 or a new coupe