[Z06] First Impression On New Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 10:40 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default First Impression On New Z06

Hey Gang,

I’ve just returned from a 2 hour drive in my new Z06. I’m trying to get the miles on it so I can consider it broken in – I’m up to about 260 miles now and I’m starting to rev it out a little more when I enter an interstate or leave a stoplight.

Here are my thoughts so far…

First, I was really disappointed in several things about the car. Some are more important than others.

One mild disappointment was the removal of the tire pressure sensors. I liked that in my 2000 coupe. It was nice to be able to check the tire pressure from the cockpit at any time. Plus, I am under the impression that the govt is going to require auto makers to put a low pressure warning device on all cars soon, so eventually they will have to go back on even cars without EMT’s. We get lost in the gap. I know they would ruin the sensors with the fix-a-flat included with the car. Why not put a tire plug kit in with the air compressor instead?

Next: the trunk. I was very disappointed in the lack of compartment covers. That isn’t a weight saving move, it is a cost saving move and many of us will end up paying to install our own in some form or fashion. Cheesy.

And speaking of the trunk, the exhaust noise is something I wasn’t expecting. I’ll be looking into partition options. It needs something to tone it down a little. And it’s not that the exhaust is loud that bother’s me, it is the way it enters the compartment from the rear as if the trunk wasn’t closed all the way or something. There is a lack of sound deadening material back there.

I was so AMAZED back when I bought my six-speed 2000 coupe. I got the Z51 and I wasn’t afraid of a harsh ride, I wanted performance. STILL, the car was SO REFINED, yet astoundingly fast - both in a straight line and in turns. It had a tiny bit more body roll than I would have liked, but overall pretty awesome. I have been pretty much thrilled with the car for the past 2 ½ years. The Z06 doesn’t have that refinement. It is ***** to the wall fast, but it is noisy and you have to settle for substandard seats and loss of several options.

For me, and I don’t think I’m alone here, it would be AWFULLY nice if Chevy would put the LS6 engine (with the LS1 exhaust, thanks!) and FE4 suspension on a fully optioned coupe. Then I could have my cake and eat it too.

Let’s say a coupe runs a 13.40 and a Z06 runs a 12.40. There has to be a market for someone who would like a coupe, with all the extra room of a hatchback, and creature comforts like sport seats, telescoping wheel and the like, with the potential 12.90 times they would likely get with a heavier, optioned out, LS6 combo.

Last on my list of complaints, there is virtually no special literature on the Z06. I had no idea that there wouldn’t be tire pressure sensors on the car until I went through the gauges on the DIC. No idea of how the trunk compartments would be different. What is that metal bracket in the back passenger side sticking out of the carpet? I would think a little acknowledgement of the Z06 package in some special book or brochure would be nice.

Now, the good stuff: The car is fast. Honestly, not as fast as I expected it to feel, but definitely responsive and fast.

The ride: WOW! Fixes all the weaknesses in the Z51 (which was very good anyway). The car is so solid front to back.

I remember back in 96 or 97, a friend of mine bought a Viper and let me drive it. That was the first car that ever felt so connected to me. When you turned the steering wheel, there was no lag time before the car responded, and the back of the car responded the same time the front responded. The Z06 feels that way to me. Very good.

The shifter feels better to me than my 2000. Could be just because it is new.

The clutch feels good too. The 2000 has a horrible clutch. I read somewhere here on the forum that there was a slight increase in clutch pedal effort. It’s certainly not much to me. They could make it heavier for all I care, if it would grip even more and last under more hp.

The HUD seems brighter. On my 2000, when I wear polarized sunglasses, it really wipes out the HUD. The Z06 is still readable. Nice. Unlike some of the folks here who don’t care so much for the HUD, I REALLY use mine. I don’t have to take my eyes off a turn to know how fast I’m going. And I tend to know what turns I can take at what speeds, on my local “testing areas.”

Overall, it is a GREAT car. But not as all-around a car as the coupe. I’m still questioning whether I should have spent the money to “upgrade” from my 2000 coupe. I could have spent $5,000 or so and put stronger sway bars and some solid engine mods on the 2000 and been in the same ballpark as I am with the Z06. I’ll do an update in a few weeks when I’ve got a few more miles under my belt with the car.

Old 06-27-2002, 10:45 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Default Re: First Impression On New Z06 (Tom Steele)

One other thing...

Is the carpet cheaper looking on the 2002 Z06? Did it change and how so?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2002, 11:05 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can identify with much of what you said. The car is noisier. Putting insulation back under the carpet dropeed my interior sound level to ~75 db's while cruising at 70 in 6th. Before, it was about 80db. I considered the stereo worthless prior to installing the inuslation, now I really enjoy it.

I was told that one of the reasons the LS6 isn't offered on the standard Vettes was that they had to get the weight down to allow using a more radical cam (more pollution). It was posted on this forum that a lighter car is allowed a bit more since a lighter car theoretically doesn't use as much power to accelerate at the same rate as a heavier car. Hence less insulation, thinner window glass, lighter wheels, lighter seats, no removable tops, etc. The theory made sense to me anyway.

I use mine for daily driving. 9000+ miles in 6 months. I have loved everyone of them, the smile is still there! I used no oil when taken in for its first service, still haven't used any and am close to going in for its second.

The car is still incredibly tight. Feels like it is made from a solid block. Personally I like the rear cargo area as is. Perfect to just drop my briefcase into without having to mess with additional lids. The short trunk lid also makes it easier to access my briefcase while keeping it from plain view. The side wells are used for various storage items that are probably kept in neater condition because I do view them.

You are in for a treat when 500 miles rolls by!

Chuck

[Modified by Chuck Harmon, 7:08 PM 6/27/2002]
Old 06-27-2002, 11:06 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

That was some interesting reading of your observations of your Z06! Funny thing you mentioned about the plug kit! I have an 02 coupe and I put Z06 wheels and Supercar tires on it as soon as I got it! I put a compressor in the back and a plug kit! I was lucky enough having the coupe that I could still use the sensors inside the Z06 wheels! No fix-a-flat though since they will, as you know, destroy the sensors!
Anyway, good luck with your car! They are awesome machines! :cheers:
Old 06-27-2002, 11:32 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

>Next: the trunk. I was very disappointed in the
>lack of compartment covers.

If you need one you can buy one. No big deal. The storage bins are so small I can't really see a need for a cover. You can shove more stuff in there without a cover.

>the exhaust noise is something I wasn’t expecting.
>I’ll be looking into partition options. It needs something
>to tone it down a little

Huh, that exhaust note is pure music. :yesnod:

>Last on my list of complaints, there is virtually no
>special literature on the Z06. I had no idea that there
>wouldn’t be tire pressure sensors on the car until I went through the >gauges on the DIC.

This is clearly stated on the Chervolet WWW site, and in the Corvette brochure. I have no need for a tire pressure sensor.

>No idea of how the trunk compartments would be different.
>What is that metal bracket in the back passenger side
>sticking out of the carpet? I would think a little
>acknowledgement of the Z06 package in some special
>book or brochure would be nice.

All of this stuff is detailed in the brochure. The metal tab is for a baby seat. The car is designed to be a race ready car, not a cushy optioned out driver. Maybe the coupe is more for you?
Old 06-28-2002, 12:32 AM
Bertrand
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,

If you look at the power bands of both cars you are comparing, there is not much difference in performance under 4000 rpm. Slightly shorter gearing which helps, but not much. All I have to say is, when she is broken in, go 50-100 mph in 3rd and feel the pull from 4000-6000 at WOT. If you still think it is not worth the compromise, you might have bought the wrong car. The Z06 below 4000 rpm feels like a 'stripper' coupe to some extent. But get it past 4000 rpm and it is a completely different animal IMO.

Keep in mind there are NO factory cars produced in more than 250 units in the world right now that can humilate a good driver in a broken in 2002 Z06. There are a couple that come close and could edge it out with an equally good driver, like a Viper or Porsche 911 very turbo GT2... But even those cars won't really blow it away. This is not the case for the coupe that runs with M3s and AMG C32s but can't touch the performance of supercars. IMHO, supercars are all about compromise, the ultimate in performance comes at a price, even the exalted $170K Porsche GT2 has no A/C ?!?!?.

Just trying to put in perspective for you man.

I hope you enjoy the car as much as I do. :cheers:
Old 06-28-2002, 12:37 AM
Bertrand
Burning Brakes

Oh, thought you might like this power curve graph illustrating what I mean about the 4000 rpm LS6 VS LS1 thing:
http://www.c5registry.com/2k2z06/photos/06bl.jpg

:cheers:

[Modified by Bertrand, 11:37 PM 6/27/2002]
Old 06-28-2002, 01:20 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Default Re: First Impression On New Z06 (Bertrand)

Bertrand,

Your are right on regarding the above 4000 personality. My biggest gripe is that you are forced to shift too early. It is still pulling very strong when the rev limiter cuts off your fuel. If one didn't have to worry about warranties and possible hydraulic valve float above the 6600 limit, I would probably try to raise the shift point a minimum of 500 rpm!

Chuck
Old 06-28-2002, 02:00 AM
Bertrand
Burning Brakes

Default Re: First Impression On New Z06 (Chuck Harmon)

True... And the revs build so fast above 5000, you really have to start thinking about shifting around 6000-6200 in first and second or you can easily nail the fuel cutoff.

It feels so strong to me over 4000 it's almost like someone opening up the juice with a progressive nitrous controller that phases in full spray above 4K... Very cool!

:cool: :cool: :cheers:
Old 06-28-2002, 02:22 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Tom,

Bertrand raises another important point. Few car engines out race their tach, the LS6 is one of them. In first and 2nd gear you need to shift by the small "shift" message on the HUD. On my car the tach is only reading about 5800 when the engine hits it's 6600 limiter when in first gear.

Such problems :cheers:

Chuck
Old 06-28-2002, 02:30 AM
Bertrand
Burning Brakes

Tom,

Bertrand raises another important point. Few car engines out race their tach, the LS6 is one of them. In first and 2nd gear you need to shift by the small "shift" message on the HUD. On my car the tach is only reading about 5800 when the engine hits it's 6600 limiter when in first gear.

Such problems :cheers:

Chuck
True... Such problems indeed. The LPE supercharged or turbo LS6 cars must be a REAL handful in this respect...

I guess I'm asking for problems! :jester :cheers:
Old 06-28-2002, 03:44 AM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Being a 5-day old owner of a 2002 Z after trading in a '99 coupe, it's amazing how certain impressions totally mirror yours -- others totally different. (This is in no way a slam just an observation).

Agree with the Tire Pressure sensors and Compartment Covers issue. I miss the pressure feature but I understand -- the compartment covers is just chevy being cheap -- no other way to explain it.

I also agree about the shifter and clutch. If you watch the video that came with the car they explain that that Z was given EASIER pedal feel from the older car, but greater clamping strength in 2002. A win-win in my book.

I'm split on the seats. I actually think the seats in the Z are more comfortable than the sport seats in the coupe. I don't care about the bolster air stuff, but I DO wish they would have made the passenger seat power as well. Again I think that's just a cheap cop-out.

I didn't have the HUD on my '99 so this is a welcome feature.

Now where I do disagree is about the power. I've read many posts that claim the LS6 is just an "airbox and exhaust" upgrade over the LS1. No f'n way. I had all the bolt on stuff in the book - Halltech TRIC, X-pipe and Corsa Indy Car exhaust, and I was dynoing 323 RWHP BEFORE the intake (and, FWIW, I think the stock exhaust in the 2002 sounds better than the Corsas)

This car is a whole different ballgame.

My biggest concern was that the car wouldn't feel more powerful but that went away as soon as I got in the car. EVERYONE who's gone for a ride immediately comments how much faster it feels, so I don't think it's just me. I do agree that the rev limiter seems to come on even when I'm trying to be careful -- the car spools right up.

I also think the ride is better than my Z51 in the coupe. 100% agree about the stiffness but more body roll in the old car; I disagree is that the Z feels more "harsh". I have a lot of bumpy roads and speedbumps near my house, and I have been amazed how much better this car handles them. This suspension seems to have more "bounce" than the Z51, with less of the body roll. For me, I thought this was a big step up.

I will admit that if the LS6 had been available as a coupe or vert I wouldn't have opted for the hard top. The body style *is* growing on me quite a bit -- to the point where I think the hard top makes the car look smaller than the old one (a good thing). And, most causal observers really haven't noticed the difference. I do like the "cockpit" feel of the car from the inside (but sure wish I could take the top off -- ah well that's what the Stingray's for :D )

So, after a week I have no regrets. The compartment covers are on the way solving one small problem. It remains to be seen how much the others will bother me but I really don't miss the coupe that much at all.

Again, just another opinion! :cheers:

[Modified by Corellian Corvette, 1:50 AM 6/28/2002]
Old 06-28-2002, 11:35 AM
Traffic Hater
Pro

Default Re: First Impression On New Z06 (Corellian Corvette)

Very good posts. Thanks for the good reading! That's what this forum is all about.

I have a 2002 coupe and was wondering if I made the right choice for ME!

After reading these posts, I now know I did. My car is a daily driver. Need that extra hatch area for so many things that pop up!! I also perfer the 5 spoke rim!!
Old 06-28-2002, 12:21 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Default Re: First Impression On New Z06

>The compartment covers are on the way solving one small problem.

I just don't get the fascination with the compartment covers. The compartments are pretty small and you will not be able to fit much in them with a cover on. I keep a steering wheel club and one of those big reflective sun shades in the "big" middle compartment. These items would probably be difficult to get out while I am sitting in the driver seat if the compartment was covered. I sometimes shove big items in the smaller side compartment areas just to keep them in one place while I drive around. This would not be possible if the compartments were covered. I also have no real use for a tire pressure monitoring system. Sounds like something else that will just cause problems. I guess the Z06 was made for people like me.

:chevy

[Modified by rbartick, 10:43 AM 6/28/2002]
Old 06-28-2002, 12:34 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like all your negative comments were about things you didn't know before you bought the car. Caveat Emptor.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:49 PM
pdvale
Burning Brakes

Default Re: First Impression On New Z06 (Jerry Velders)

I think Jerry hit the nail on the head...., the items that maybe you didn't research enough seem to let you down.

I am sure you will get over them in the long run...

The main compartment with a cover on it would be quite small and probably only be big enough to fit... erm nothing!
Old 06-28-2002, 03:04 PM
Viper Stang
Intermediate

Hi Tom,

Having driven a few C5s (including yours) and Wes Tarbox's '02 EB Z06, I can say with extreme confidence that once you get your engine 'broken-in' you will DEFINITELY feel the difference in power, especially at higher RPMs.

Wes' '02 is a friggin Rocket. I'm not kidding. To me, it certainly felt *much* stronger than the 350rwhp it was making at the time (he's at 370rwhp now)......keep in mind the my Viper made 427rwhp and my 'Stang was putting out 440rwhp before I sold it. The Z06 felt faster (especially with traction in lower gears) than my Mustang and just as quick as the Viper. The Z06 just puts the power down so effortlessly and efficiently and keeps pulling and pulling.

I think once you get yours broken-in and explore the upper regions of the tach, you'll be very satisfied with the car and those nit-picky things you mentioned will quickly fade away....

Congrats again and good luck with it! :cheers:

Best Regards,
:flag:

[Modified by Viper Stang, 1:10 PM 6/28/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To First Impression On New Z06

Old 06-28-2002, 03:43 PM
don527
Drifting

One mild disappointment was the removal of the tire pressure sensors. I liked that in my 2000 coupe. It was nice to be able to check the tire pressure from the cockpit at any time. Plus, I am under the impression that the govt is going to require auto makers to put a low pressure warning device on all cars soon, so eventually they will have to go back on even cars without EMT’s. We get lost in the gap. I know they would ruin the sensors with the fix-a-flat included with the car. Why not put a tire plug kit in with the air compressor instead?
The reason they do not give a simple plug kit is....

You cannot use plugs for the GY F1 SC tires.
You can only patch them.

The rest of your complaints all have to do with weight savings. a pound or two here and there... insulation, seats, tire sensors, power antenna, compartment covers... and it adds up.

... For the hardcore enthusiast that want the best Vette out there.

Don

[Modified by don527, 2:49 PM 6/28/2002]
Old 06-28-2002, 04:33 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

My biggest gripe is that you are forced to shift too early. It is still pulling very strong when the rev limiter cuts off your fuel. If one didn't have to worry about warranties and possible hydraulic valve float above the 6600 limit, I would probably try to raise the shift point a minimum of 500 rpm!
Same thing to be said about the LS-1 in my opinion. I hit the rev limiter so often in my 2000 that it just became commonplace when passing. It was sort of my SHIFT indicator! :jester

The LS-1 would be good to 6,500 easy if it had the valve springs.

Old 06-28-2002, 04:36 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Default Re: First Impression On New Z06 (Glennm27)

I have an 02 coupe and I put Z06 wheels and Supercar tires on it as soon as I got it!
Ahh, but I notice you put SHINY Z06 wheels on the car! <grin> I think the C5 looks so much better with polished or chrome wheels.

Once I recover from the shock of having bought the Z06, chrome wheels are a likelihood!

Quick Reply: [Z06] First Impression On New Z06