Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Speed up shifting? Anti-venom mod or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:09 AM
K-n
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed up shifting? Anti-venom mod or something else?

I'd like to speed up my shift between gears. I'm new to the Z06, but not manual transmissions... When I shift from one gear to the next quickly I'm stopped momentarily before it will go to the next gear. It's almost As if I'm waiting on the Syncro to catch up. My car has a complete C6 shifter assembly installed by the previous owner. I read about the anti-venom mod but I don't see anything about improving speed – just ease of shifting.

Any suggestions on making the gear shift move quickly and precisely between Gears?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:41 AM
Tuscany
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be no hesitation in shifting gears. The anti-venom mod won't speed things up. I presume CAGS isn't the issue, as symptoms should be different than described. I wonder if the shifter is slightly out of alignment or even slightly loose on its box. Or maybe the clutch isn't fully disengaging.

I'm making barely educated guesses based on what I've learned on CF, but there are some really impressive experts here who may be able to offer more experienced diagnoses.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:41 AM
K-n
Instructor

Let me see if I can describe it in more detail:

When it's time for me to shift from 2-3 or 3-4 or even downshift 4-3, I press the clutch into the floor and try to move the stick quickly into the next gear. It moves quickly to the neutral position even with a very firm press "hesitates" a moment before popping into gear. There is clearly some resistance that probably needs to be addressed with the anti-venom mod, but it's almost like my shifter mechanism hits a wall and then is allowed to continue. It essentially creates what feels like a 2-stage shift --i.e. out to neutral, synchronize, then into gear.

I'm not going to push too hard as I don't want to damage something. It can be a pain at times to get into reverse so that may be part of it, but the biggest thing is I want to be able to shift very quickly from one gear to the next.

Here's what the previous owner installed (C6 Shifter):

GM ****: 15851631 $64
GM Bolt: 11609670 $3
GM Control:25823572 $125

Any further information would be welcomed.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Noma01
Pro

I understand what your saying. Mine did that slight delay as well. I still have the stock shifter thought. But It smoothed out drastically when I change to royal purple Synchromax.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:10 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

As Noma01 suggested, swapping out the fluid is always a good first step when diagnosing transmission issues. Do that first, then report back to us. I change my fluid every 10-12k miles, and I can still tell a difference every time it's done.

The anti-venom mod is typically only used on true short shifters. I haven't heard of anyone using it with a C6 shifter.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:23 PM
K-n
Instructor

Alrighty, then. I'll start with a fluid change for now.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 PM
ThumperNC24
Pro

check out the Ranger method on youtube.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:29 PM
K-n
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
check out the Ranger method on youtube.
Checked out the ranger method in Youtube. After researching extensively I decided to give Pennzoil Syncromesh a try. What I'm noticing is that pumping the clutch and/or driving the vehicle isn't exchanging much fluid in the reservoir. I had someone pump the clutch while I watched and the fluid in the bowl rises and falls maybe half a centimeter at most. That doesn't seem like it's going to help me rotate out old fluid in a reasonable timeframe.

When you do the ranger method, is the reservoir fluid quickly exchanged after quickly pumping the clutch pedal?
Old 07-09-2013, 12:41 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by K-n
When you do the ranger method, is the reservoir fluid quickly exchanged after quickly pumping the clutch pedal?
Nope. That's why he suggests pumping the pedal 30 times between flushes. Personally, I found that the fluid is exchanged much more effectively by actually driving the car. I suggest doing the "Ranger" exchange method only 2-3 times, then just wait and flush the clutch fluid once after each time you drive. It'll get crystal clear soon enough, after which point you'll only need to flush it again every few tanks of gas you go through.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:43 PM
K-n
Instructor

Originally Posted by skyavonee
Nope. That's why he suggests pumping the pedal 30 times between flushes. Personally, I found that the fluid is exchanged much more effectively by actually driving the car. I suggest doing the "Ranger" exchange method only 2-3 times, then just wait and flush the clutch fluid once after each time you drive. It'll get crystal clear soon enough, after which point you'll only need to flush it again every few tanks of gas you go through.
I pumped AT LEAST 30 times quickly... I also went out and drove it around for about 15 miles using all gears. Doesn't seem to have exchanged from the reservoir much, if any...
Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by K-n
I pumped AT LEAST 30 times quickly... I also went out and drove it around for about 15 miles using all gears. Doesn't seem to have exchanged from the reservoir much, if any...
Well if the reservoir fluid looks clear, then flushing it out won't help. Just give it a quick check every now and then, and if it's murky then suck it out and refill.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 PM
K-n
Instructor

Originally Posted by skyavonee
Well if the reservoir fluid looks clear, then flushing it out won't help. Just give it a quick check every now and then, and if it's murky then suck it out and refill.
A little more background:

I checked the fluid in the reservoir. Very murky dark gray. I sucked out the fluid and replaced it with clean fluid. I pumped the clutch at least 30 times. I went for a drive. I came back and check the fluid in the reservoir and it hadn't changed... There is a little movement in the reservoir when the clutch is pressed but nothing like in Ranger's video. I've read of some folks forgetting to put the lid back on and pumping the clutch which splashed fluid everywhere. That most certainly wouldn't happen in my case. There's no way there's enough fluid movement for that to happen.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Jet Moto
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

it sounds like the classic case of master cylinder not flowing enough fluids. are you using stock master? If so, swap to the Tick Master.

I had the same dissatisfaction a year ago and changed out my factory master for a Tick and now I can bang off shifts as fast as I am capable.

Also, to improve the feel of the shifting, I used 2 washers for the anti-venom mod and installed the RSD snap shifter. Feels like butter now.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet Moto
it sounds like the classic case of master cylinder not flowing enough fluids. are you using stock master? If so, swap to the Tick Master.

I had the same dissatisfaction a year ago and changed out my factory master for a Tick and now I can bang off shifts as fast as I am capable.

Also, to improve the feel of the shifting, I used 2 washers for the anti-venom mod and installed the RSD snap shifter. Feels like butter now.
Reading through this thread this is my exact thought, you just beat me to it! Tick master is very well built and you will be able to bang gears flawlessly!

Get notified of new replies

To Speed up shifting? Anti-venom mod or something else?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Speed up shifting? Anti-venom mod or something else?