Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] How far did you travel for your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Camss57
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far did you travel for your Z?

How far did you guys travel to find the "right" car? How did it work out? Did anyone get there and the car was not as advertised? I am looking for a nice Z currently and am scared to travel a long ways and not get what I thought. Any tips from guys who have been down this road before? Thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

I rode the Greyhound from Houston to Dallas last year for my Z. Only about a 400ish mile each way. I can easily say the drive home in the Z was a lot faster than the drive there on the greyhound .
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 AM
kerryt1
Drifting

I flew to PA from OK to look at one, and it was better than described. Unfortunately it was damaged before my check cleared and the seller stopped the deal.

I then bought my current car only seen through pictures out of MASS, which wasn't quite as perfect as described, but still in great condition.

Long and short...I'm more afraid of not getting what I pay for than wasting money on a flight. I'd give it due diligence through pictures, then go see it if you're serious.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 AM
solow1k
Racer

From DFW Tx to ATL. But we went from ATL to Nashville and partied for the weekend, then continued the drive home to DFW.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I got lucky. Mine was actually on craigslist 50 miles north of me. He drove down to my bank and got the check.
I have gone to a local dealer and looked at a car for a forum member over 1000 miles away. If you find a car you want looked at, you can go to the regional forum pages and post there asking if someone would look at a car for you. I used SKYPE on my iPhone and did a video walk around for the guy and showed him close up anything he wanted to see. He was also able to hear it start up and run. After further research he didn't buy the car due to service records he discovered.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Driver220
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Was lookin all over the continental US for the right one for about a year, found mine about 3.5 hours away via the worlds most underrated craigslist ad. Would have flown anywhere though for the right car!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 AM
amlarson2001
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Went from Minneapolis to Midland TX to pick up my silver 02 last year. Drove her home. I think it was just over 1200 miles. Kinda fun kinda because it was a new car but man was it a long drive. Took about 20 hrs with stops for food and stuff.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:25 PM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

I looked for months. My criteria was 04 Z06 Lemans Blue. Contacted Buyavette in Atlanta, they couldn't find anything, checked craigslist within 100 miles nothing. So I changed my criteria to 02 or above, metallic blue any shade, 6 speed, no convertible, black interior. still no luck. My wife finally found one after about 4 months in Huntsville Al. 04 Z06 Commemorative Edittion, 20k miles. Drove there to look at it, made him an offer, he accepted. Then had to drive there 3 more times till title and bank paper work got finished. 920 miles and a total of 4 trips, worth every penny and time spent.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

I live in the Seattle area. I flew to Anaheim to buy our 2000 BMW M roadster from a used car dealer. The car was nice but had a couple of minor non-disclosed problems. After making a price adjustment for the problems I drove it home. We still have it 5 years later.
I flew to the S.F. Bay area to buy a 1992 turquoise Corvette after being assured the owner was the original owner and the car had never been damaged and was virtually perfect. When I arrived I found it had a few problems and that 1/2 the car had been repainted. He then told me he bought it when it was 6 months old and he did not know about the repaint. My brother lives in the area and I had asked him to meet me at the owners house. After not buying that one we spent the rest of that day and the next day looking at Corvettes I had found on Craigslist. We located a very nice 1991 Steel Blue with low mileage that had been well taken care of. I drove it home. I sold it one year later to help pay for my next purchase, the Z06.
One year later I found a nice 2002 Z06 for sale by a high end used sports/exotic car dealer in Sacramento. Worked out a deal with the dealer, called my brother and said that I would be down the next morning and we could go to Sacramento and buy a Corvette. He picked me up at the San Jose airport and off we went. The car was great and I drove it home. I still have it.
The next year I wanted another C4, with only Black Rose or Turquoise colors acceptable. I flew to Phoenix to buy a 1996 turquoise convertible. The car was not as described. A friend lives in Phoenix and I had asked him to meet me at the seller's house. We drove off and looked at more Corvettes I had found on Craigslist. There was a nice Black Rose coupe with 49000 miles on it that the owner was asking over $ 11,000 for. When hearing I was only there for the day his price dropped to $ 8500. After looking at the car I talked him down a bit and drove the car home. I still have it.

Always check out the car as much as you can before going to buy it. If possible have someone meet you at the seller's house and have a list of alternatives. Do not be afraid to offer a lower price. The ride home in a new performance sports car is great.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Camss57
Racer

Has anyone ever been to a show like Bloomington to look for a car?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:31 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Mine came fron connecticut to pittsburgh. I bought it site unseen just based on pics and conversation. Car has been excellent.

Now...my last car was a much crazier deal. I flew from pittsburgh to san diego for my 92 6spd then drove it back. We negotiated a price via phone, but then i talked him down another grand when i got there due to a small issue (which i fixed for 6.40 at a psrts store...lol). It was a great car, a great trip...and i ended up making every dime back, including travel expenses and fuel, upon resale.

If you want a deal, the likelihood is, it wont be down the street.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Drewster67
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

50 miles across town - At the time there were 4 2004 Z's that I wanted to look at.

1. One was silver .... nope
2. One had body damage on the fender - nope
3. One was waaay to much - 30K with 25K original miles
4. The last one wasnt 100% perfect but I bought it for 2K less than book/bank value.

Side note - I did travel to OK City to buy a Porsche 928S4 with 70K miles on it - Longest road trip back to AZ for a car purchase ever for me.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:00 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

bout 5 hours each eay
Old 06-05-2013, 03:01 PM
LSxFTMFW
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flew to Las Cruses New Mexico from Madison Wisconsin and drove 22 hours non stop (except gas and an attempt to sleep for 20 minutes) and I would do it all over again!
Old 06-05-2013, 03:25 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just jumped on a plane from the Illinois/Wisconsin Boarder and went to Salt Lake City to pick up an 02 Z for a great price Spent almost 24hrs in that car on the way home with my son. It was a great trip and I had no surprises on the car even thou it was about 1300 miles away. I made sure he sent me all the photos I wanted and about 10 videos of it
My advise is to get a lot of video of the car and if the buyer wont look elsewhere.
Man I had that seller put it on a rack overhead and drive it and a few other things. Video dont lie. Get lots of video and a carfax and the farther I went from my area the better the selling price was. My area for some reason commands higher prices

Last edited by cudamax; 06-22-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Camss57
Racer

Originally Posted by cudamax
I just jump on a plane from the Illinois/Wisconsin Boarder and went to Salt Lake City to pick up an 02 Z for a great price Spent almost 24hrs in that car on the way home with my son. It was a great trip but I had no surprises on the car even thou it was about 1300 miles away. I made sure he sent me all the photos I wanted and about 10 videos of it
My advise is to get a lot of video of the car and if the buyer wont look elsewhere.
Man I had that seller put it on a rack overhead and drive it and a few other things. Video dont lie. Get lots of video and a carfax and the farther I went from my area the better the selling price was. My area for some reason commands higher prices
I know the feeling. I am in the same area (Holmen, WI.).
Old 06-05-2013, 04:05 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I seen some real nice Zs on Autotrader in the 18 to 30 thou range and mostly at Dealers

Get notified of new replies

To How far did you travel for your Z?

Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 PM
LSX_NUT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I drove from New Hampshire to Illinois and then back again for my Z06. Was about 1100 - 1200 miles. I drove straight through with no sleep. What an experience that was. Sooo worth it!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Proace4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove from Wichita, Ks down to 40 miles south of Dallas to get my current Z. No complaints, great seller. I love the car now.

I flew out to Staten Island, NY for my TBSS. Long story short, the paint wasn't as good as he said, and I got sick and had to spend a couple extra days in an exspensive motel room. But I love the truck and drive it daily. Made a 22hr drive straight home after signing the title at his bank and was at work the following day. Its definitely a story to tell and I saw some amazing scenery that just isn't available in Kansas. lol
Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Laser Guided
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

About 100 miles each way. Not too bad

Quick Reply: [Z06] How far did you travel for your Z?