Sponsored by:

[Z06] Auto dim rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 PM
n5ama
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto dim rear view mirror

I'm a new owner of a 2004 z06 (1700 original miles) and don't have a handle on the bells and whistles. It might be a operator ignorance issue but the auto adjust rear view mirror seems really dark all the time. The map lights appear to work with the buttons but the center button has no effect on the mirror.

Is it suppose to do something (other than push in) or do I need to do a setup somewhere? I'm tempted to glue a regular mirror over this thing so I can actually see something behind the car.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:00 AM
wittlestguy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n5ama
I'm a new owner of a 2004 z06 (1700 original miles) and don't have a handle on the bells and whistles. It might be a operator ignorance issue but the auto adjust rear view mirror seems really dark all the time. The map lights appear to work with the buttons but the center button has no effect on the mirror.

Is it suppose to do something (other than push in) or do I need to do a setup somewhere? I'm tempted to glue a regular mirror over this thing so I can actually see something behind the car.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sounds like it is broken?? Is the green light glowing on the mirror?

Last edited by wittlestguy; 05-14-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM
n5ama
6th Gear

Originally Posted by wittlestguy
Sounds like it is broken?? Is the green light glowing on the mirror?
Yes, I think there is a small green LED?? glowing off to the side of the controls.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:08 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

When the mirror is activated (green light on), it should only get dark at night when cars come up behind you with their headlights on. There is a light sensor on the mirror also (little port on the bottom face somewhere) that picks up the light off the headlights from cars behind you. Could be that sensor is bad and makes the mirror dark all the time.

What happens if you turn the auto-dimming off? Does the mirror lighten up or stay dark. If it stays dark, then whatever turns it light/dark isn't functioning.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:11 AM
n5ama
6th Gear

I'm assuming the control (button) in the center turns the feature on/off. It has no effect on the mirror. If power is required for the dimming function, then it would seem that power is applied all the time. I tried to remove the connector on the rear of the mirror but it didn't come out easily and rather than risk breaking it, I opted to research it a bit more. There is probably a tab that I wasn't pushing to get the connector to release.

It would be helpful to remove the mirror to gain access to the connector and there seems to be enough play in the wiring harness to allow that. I'm guessing the mirror slides on/off a fixed mount on the windshield but there again I'm a little reluctant to get real horsey with it until I find out what I'm doing.

Ahhh, the trials and tribulations of a new (or different) car. The learning curve on even the simple stuff is steep the older you get. LOL

Thanks for the help!!

Get notified of new replies

To Auto dim rear view mirror

Quick Reply: [Z06] Auto dim rear view mirror