Sponsored by:

Battery Cutoff Switch Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 AM
cpaxson
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Cutoff Switch Question

I have a 2001 convertible that has some battery drain issues. While I'm tracking thses down, I want to be able to disconnect one of the battery cables at night while I'm traveling so I don't need to start each morning with the help of AAA.

As background, the battery is a new Optima AGM Yellow Top using side posts and yes, while it's in the garage, I keep in on BatteryMinder AGM charher with the neg cable disconnected.

Does anyone use a battery curoff switch with this kind of setup and have a recommendation? I'm not envisioning this as a permanent fix, the drain is being traced, issue by issue, but I have some trips planned that can't be postponed and I wanted an easier solution than taking a wrench at the hotel each night and taking off the neg cable so the battery wouldn't drain overnight.

Thanks,
Charles
Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM
sunchaser73
Racer

Never used one, but I can't see why it wouldn't be a good idea. Have you followed Bill Curlee's post on parasitic drain? Good reading...I believe it is in the electrical sticky.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

battery Cutoff switches

http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bi...roduct=battery

mostly for race cars.

look at Bill's info about parasitic drain
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 237 Likes on 108 Posts
Oldtimer

if it's draining overnight and you have a good battery, then you have something drawing some serious current and it needs to be resolved. A bat. bypass switch would be a temp. solution, but it really needs to be resolved. Yes, there is always some drain with these beasts but that's ridiculous. Be aware that your 'putor will be reset to factory settings so expect it to run differently.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 AM
cpaxson
Advanced

Originally Posted by calvins
if it's draining overnight and you have a good battery, then you have something drawing some serious current and it needs to be resolved. A bat. bypass switch would be a temp. solution, but it really needs to be resolved. Yes, there is always some drain with these beasts but that's ridiculous. Be aware that your 'putor will be reset to factory settings so expect it to run differently.
I agree with all that but as I stated in the OP, I'm only talkking about a temporary solution while the problem is being disgnosed because I have some travel that can't be put off. I'm just trying to cover myself in case the shop (the car is at the repair shop today getting diagnosed) doesn't immediately locate the problem. Much easier to hit a kill switch than disconnect a battery cable in a hotel parking lot each night.

Thanks to the posters who recommended Bill's post. I have read it and it's information like this posted by members who have the greater good in mind that make this forum worth it's weight in gold.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

if its that bad that the battery drains over night, might want to think about renting an other car.

Safety issues.

Plus is the alternator charging your battery ? that may be part of the problem too.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 AM
cpaxson
Advanced

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
if its that bad that the battery drains over night, might want to think about renting an other car.

Safety issues.

Plus is the alternator charging your battery ? that may be part of the problem too.
Yes, the alternator was one of the first things checked. Unfortunately, there is a reason I need to go in the Corvette. And no, I don't think this happened overnight. I think it has been going on for a while and just reached the point where there wasn't enough to start the car although who knows at this point? Hopefully the full diagnostic being run today will reveal something.

At any rate, thanks very much for the imput
Charles
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Stop by a local Autozone or Advance Auto. They'll check out your alternator and battery for free. They should also have the switch you want.
Even though the C5 seems to draw more power when off than a normal car, you should still get a minimum of two weeks of time between starts.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 AM
leebay
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 383 Posts

I have used many battery disconect switches through the years. Advance Auto has a good one made by Battery Doctor its a flip switch and its made in the USA about twenty dollars foe either a top or side mount switch.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Cutoff Switch Question

Quick Reply: Battery Cutoff Switch Question