Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] I can't believe how easy it is to change brake pads!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 PM
weneversleep
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I can't believe how easy it is to change brake pads!

I just got my C5 Z06 a couple of weeks ago. I'm taking it to the track this weekend, and even though my brake pads haven't come in yet, I wanted to do a "dry run" of changing the brakes, so I won't be fumbling around at the track (if necessary).

I can't believe how easy it is to change pads on this car! One single bolt and the entire caliper rotates up. Pads come right out. Easy to compress the pistons.

I only did the front, but I assume the rears are the same.

Now, I'm not a mechanic, but I've changed brake pads on an S2000, E36 M3, and an Evo X. I thought the Brembo fixed calipers were easy, but you still had to put grease on the pad ears, which added a lot of time. Plus, getting the pad spring in while inserting the pins was a bit of a challenge, even after a lot of practice. Hey, I said I wasn't a mechanic!

I can tell I'm going to love this car...
Old 06-06-2012, 11:14 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rears don't swing, you need to remove both bolts and pull the caliper back. Still very easy. The back is a single piston in the caliper.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by weneversleep
I thought the Brembo fixed calipers were easy, but you still had to put grease on the pad ears, which added a lot of time. Plus, getting the pad spring in while inserting the pins was a bit of a challenge, even after a lot of practice.
I remember the first time I changed pads on a car with Brembo’s how much of a PITA it was getting the spring back in right but was eaiser the next time. Changing pads on a buddy’s Mazda 6 was the worst. It took a special socket and the damn bolts were rusted in.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:57 PM
novafx4
Racer

I've heard that changing brake pads and/or your own oil is a gateway activity. It's been proven to lead to other activities such as installing your own headers, adding a supercharger or doing a complete H/C/I swap.

Proceed at your own risk and be careful.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:07 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What pad spring are you speaking of? I don't recall any spring coming out when I did my brakes..
Old 06-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onspeed
What pad spring are you speaking of? I don't recall any spring coming out when I did my brakes..
The big metal spring that’s in the middle of Brembo calipers that’s held in place by the two long pins.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by novafx4
I've heard that changing brake pads and/or your own oil is a gateway activity. It's been proven to lead to other activities such as installing your own headers, adding a supercharger or doing a complete H/C/I swap.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:22 PM
weneversleep
Advanced

Originally Posted by novafx4

Well, this isn't my first rodeo. I know what I'm good at, and turning wrenches isn't one of them. I _like_ working on cars, but I'm all thumbs when it comes to doing the work. I write computer software, and I can do complex multithreaded programming; I'm good at abstract thinking, not working with my hands.

I keep trying, though, and compared to most people these days, I guess I can do a lot of car projects.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:52 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by weneversleep
I just got my C5 Z06 a couple of weeks ago. I'm taking it to the track this weekend, and even though my brake pads haven't come in yet, I wanted to do a "dry run" of changing the brakes, so I won't be fumbling around at the track (if necessary).

I can't believe how easy it is to change pads on this car! One single bolt and the entire caliper rotates up. Pads come right out. Easy to compress the pistons.

I only did the front, but I assume the rears are the same.

Now, I'm not a mechanic, but I've changed brake pads on an S2000, E36 M3, and an Evo X. I thought the Brembo fixed calipers were easy, but you still had to put grease on the pad ears, which added a lot of time. Plus, getting the pad spring in while inserting the pins was a bit of a challenge, even after a lot of practice. Hey, I said I wasn't a mechanic!

I can tell I'm going to love this car...
yes they are. Be sure to lube those caliper pins once in a while too ... just takes another minute while you're in there.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:09 PM
weneversleep
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
yes they are. Be sure to lube those caliper pins once in a while too ... just takes another minute while you're in there.
How do you do this? Do the pins pull out of the boots? Are they bolted in? (that's how they were on the BMW floaters)
Old 06-08-2012, 01:53 PM
jpalamar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the pins just pull out.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Pad changes are easy. Rear rotor changes are a PITA if the emerg brake shoe comes loose.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Literally a 10 minute pad change once the car is in the air. I was pleasantly surprised this weekend when I went to do the pads on my 06 ram truck and found dodge took a page out of Corvettes book and the calipers work the same way, 1 pin, swing the caliper down and out come the pads.

Get notified of new replies

To I can't believe how easy it is to change brake pads!

Quick Reply: [Z06] I can't believe how easy it is to change brake pads!