Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I scared the Bejesus outa myself.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Mrgogo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I scared the Bejesus outa myself.

I was doing some cleanup on the interior of my 99 bone stock convertible when I accidently pushed the traction control device button. I never knew I had a function called competative driving. I looked it up in the owners manual and then forgot about it. Heres the scarry part now. Driving home after a swing shift I remembered the competition mode and decided to give it a try. I want you all to know there was no one around and did what I did as safely as possible. Light turns green and I nail it. Holy *****! Its an automatic when it spun up thru the gears the back tires were spinning like mad! Got up to about 75 with the backs still smokin. Whooowee! All I can say is to remember to respect the power this cars got. Any others got stories?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:13 AM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Take it from a lot of us, turn the Baby-Sitter on and leave it that way. If you are going to "play," be sure you cannot hit anything or anyone. It is amazing how well the TC/AH works in these things, but DON'T get caught with it off. It will get away from you and in one heck of a hurry.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:24 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually,,Competitive Driving mode KEEPS Active Handling on,,just allows you to spin the tires for say going to the strip. Lets you launch harder but still keeps the baby sitter there if you start to get a little sideways!!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 AM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should try it with the Traction Control OFF!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

try driving my fully built C3 bigblock with 373s in the read end and getting caught in a sudden rain storm.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:54 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy
You should try it with the Traction Control OFF!
Amen to that I did that when I went did a auto-x event talk about slide ways what fun in a controlled environment
Old 04-23-2012, 02:58 AM
Fixed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine doesnt work, because of the known ECBM problem. I love it off. It is all about throttle control. Launching, drifting corners, and skirting the gears are all a good time.

I will say that you really get to know the car, and understand you don't always need full throttle with it off. If you are going to play with her, ease into it. It sounds like you are smart about it. Throw a good set of seats in her that really hold you in place, and OMG you will really be surprised at what the car can do.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Be careful! But have fun!

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

These cars can surprise you. Just be careful as others have said.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
These cars can surprise you. Just be careful as others have said.
I so agree.

With the near 50/50 weight distribution, you would be surprised how much the TC/AH does make adjustments when driving spiritedly. You may not notice it, but it is making minute limits to keep yaw and slip-angle to a minimum.

My suggestion again, when driving normal, keep the Baby Sitter ... ON !
Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto, it's great and keeps you in check when you skills may not be up there like the race car drivers.. But with that said, be careful on the streets, to many vettes are seen tail wagging and you end up with a damaged vehicle that will be hard to keep and or sell. Keep it on a track if at all possible. As far as HP, the stock 350 to 355 HP is great in this C5, I wonder how much more HP will I need to get out of situations. A supercharger adds around 175 HP over the stock numbers. Will I ever need that, well I guess it would be nice to have but the stock works 99% of the time for my kind of driving at this stage in life. Love this C5, best sports car for the buck, American Buck!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:37 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixed
Mine doesnt work, because of the known ECBM problem. I love it off. It is all about throttle control. Launching, drifting corners, and skirting the gears are all a good time.

I will say that you really get to know the car, and understand you don't always need full throttle with it off. If you are going to play with her, ease into it. It sounds like you are smart about it. Throw a good set of seats in her that really hold you in place, and OMG you will really be surprised at what the car can do.
Mine has been out for quite a while too and have not been in a big hurry to fix it! Been driving more years than many members have been alive! I do like the concept of ABS and so on,,but I don't feel like an endangered specie without them. Muscle cars have been around for a good 4 decades before all the electronic nannies came on the scene! But then again I grew up in the formative years in the country and learned to What they now call drifting on dirt/gravel roads before I was old enough for a drivers license. I have practiced in the rain and snow ever since. Electronics are great,,BUT they still can't completely cover your but and experience and skill are STILL a good back up!!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:32 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by itzza427
Mine has been out for quite a while too and have not been in a big hurry to fix it! Been driving more years than many members have been alive! I do like the concept of ABS and so on,,but I don't feel like an endangered specie without them. Muscle cars have been around for a good 4 decades before all the electronic nannies came on the scene! But then again I grew up in the formative years in the country and learned to What they now call drifting on dirt/gravel roads before I was old enough for a drivers license. I have practiced in the rain and snow ever since. Electronics are great,,BUT they still can't completely cover your but and experience and skill are STILL a good back up!!
I do not disagree, BUT....at speed, and in a turn, when it does break loose, it generally gives little to no warning, and even the most experienced driver will be challenged with the resolve.

Bottom line: the TC/AH is there for a purpose.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first thing I do when I start my car is put it into Competition Mode. I think the Corvette is actually a pretty easy to drive car and very safe. Sure, if you are an idiot, you can easily get into trouble. I keep on the Active Handling on just in case I hit a patch of gravel or oil slick or something crazy.

Also, remember if you hit the reset button, it will clear the competition mode message from the screen. So you can view oil temperatures or whatever you normally like to view.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixed

I grew up sliding a go cart around on red dog side roads. The first time at the track with my 1980 TR8, I learned a lot about throttle control. It has a built 4liter aluminum V8 in a small 2500lb car. They didn't have TC or ABS back then. The instructor was quick to criticize my application of throttle. Stabbing the gas was just upseting the car. But the power did help on a hairpin uphill turn where the car would start to push out and loose speed. A gentle nudge on the throttle let the rear step out a bit and power up the grade. Huge fun with no electronic help.

But my advise would be if you didn't notice the tires spinning until 75mph, keep the TC on.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Black0ut
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It has become a strange habit that when i get into the car, SM/TC are turned off. Keys? Check. Seatbelt? Check. Turn car on? Check. Traction control? WTF IS THAT?

On a side note, I have once driven with competitive mode on and it was great. PS2's got all plastic-y from heat cycling and the track was dusty. Scariest lap event ever... never again.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:19 PM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I turn that crap off everytime I start the car

Get notified of new replies

To I scared the Bejesus outa myself.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Cubman
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Too Funny .....
Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Mrgogo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as the original poster, I just wanted to see what the thing would do. I certainly don't condone any kind of unsafe operation on city streets. I keep my slip slidin to my dirt go-cart. Be safe Y'all!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Had traction control deleted when Andy tuned the vert after the mods. We left the active handling alone.

Quick Reply: I scared the Bejesus outa myself.