Sponsored by:

Manual Driving Tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:13 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Driving Tips

Hello all, I have been getting to know my 2000 Coupe M6 recently and with this being my first manual vehicle I am getting a better handle at everyday driving and smoothness with a modern manual car.

In the past I have driven manual tractors (obviously pretty different) and also larger diesel trucks that were manual. I had limited experience with car manuals but knew I couldn't have a Corvette any other way.

So over the past few weeks I have noticed a few things that I want to ask advise for from the more senior 3-pedal drivers out there.

1.) At low speed, as in a parking lot, when in first gear with the clutch fully engaged I give the car a little gas to slowly maneuver around the parking lot. When I am getting close to the edge of a row or the entrance onto the main road if I let the car coast with the clutch engaged say from 1500 it wants to surge uncomfortably. To remedy this I depress the clutch and more recently have been depressing the clutch when I let off the gas so the car doesn't surge. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal behavior?

2.) When lightly accelerating from a stop in 1st, I can ease the clutch out slowly so I have a smooth take off and acceleration. In order to do this the clutch is only fully engaged for a few moments before shifting into second, say around 2000 RPM. Is this amount of modulation excessive or normal?

3.) As I have become more comfortable with the car and shifting under light and medium loads, I have begun to experiment with more aggressive acceleration. For instance, when turning out of a shopping center or the like, I will roll out of the small ditch slowly in first (to avoid any scrapping) and then once on the road with the clutch out I mash the gas. To shift into second I quickly let off the gas, depress the clutch, change to second, release clutch and hit the gas again like you do any other time. When I release the clutch in second the tires will chirp for a second. The car doesn't feel like its being lurched just accelerating with a small amount of chirp. Is this generally how it works and is it going to damage anything? Obviously I don't do it really often (only 3 times so far) but even though it is the quickest way I have found so far to shift to second I will slow down if I am going to damage something.

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer. I feel that I am really getting used to the car and love driving it more every time. Just looking for some external insight on these few topics.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:30 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by MGMTF
Hello all, I have been getting to know my 2000 Coupe M6 recently and with this being my first manual vehicle I am getting a better handle at everyday driving and smoothness with a modern manual car.

In the past I have driven manual tractors (obviously pretty different) and also larger diesel trucks that were manual. I had limited experience with car manuals but knew I couldn't have a Corvette any other way.

So over the past few weeks I have noticed a few things that I want to ask advise for from the more senior 3-pedal drivers out there.

1.) At low speed, as in a parking lot, when in first gear with the clutch fully engaged I give the car a little gas to slowly maneuver around the parking lot. When I am getting close to the edge of a row or the entrance onto the main road if I let the car coast with the clutch engaged say from 1500 it wants to surge uncomfortably. To remedy this I depress the clutch and more recently have been depressing the clutch when I let off the gas so the car doesn't surge. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal behavior?

If you've never driven drive by wire... it's different for sure... the C5 has a lag/surge whatever you want to call it... the accelerator is crap...
Chuck CoW has a version of the "booster" for the C5 that makes a HUGE difference in throttle response. Drives like it should....

2.) When lightly accelerating from a stop in 1st, I can ease the clutch out slowly so I have a smooth take off and acceleration. In order to do this the clutch is only fully engaged for a few moments before shifting into second, say around 2000 RPM. Is this amount of modulation excessive or normal?

Once again IF your not used to driving a vehicle with a Hydraulic clutch... it's different... when it engages it engages... you can't really slip it like an old mechanical clutch...
Have you deleted your CAGS?

3.) As I have become more comfortable with the car and shifting under light and medium loads, I have begun to experiment with more aggressive acceleration. For instance, when turning out of a shopping center or the like, I will roll out of the small ditch slowly in first (to avoid any scrapping) and then once on the road with the clutch out I mash the gas. To shift into second I quickly let off the gas, depress the clutch, change to second, release clutch and hit the gas again like you do any other time. When I release the clutch in second the tires will chirp for a second. The car doesn't feel like its being lurched just accelerating with a small amount of chirp. Is this generally how it works and is it going to damage anything? Obviously I don't do it really often (only 3 times so far) but even though it is the quickest way I have found so far to shift to second I will slow down if I am going to damage something.

These cars are built to DRIVE... so take the lid off and enjoy!
You can change the way it drives by using the TC/AH button... I usually turn mine off... if your hold the button for 5 seconds you can go to competitive mode...
Learn your limits in a big parking lot that's empty... these things will scat...

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer. I feel that I am really getting used to the car and love driving it more every time. Just looking for some external insight on these few topics.
I hope this helps
Old 09-08-2015, 09:35 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
I hope this helps
Thanks! The only other drive-by-wire car I drive is my silverado which is an auto so it doesn't make it as noticeable. The booster sounds like a good idea.

I am going to get rid of CAGS when I get a chance, hopefully in the next week. I will have to try accelerating without the traction/stability control and see how that changes things, but definitely will follow your advice about the parking lot lol.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:42 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I hope this helps
Interesting.
I grew up driving sticks, my first, a 49 Ford Pickup, then a bunch of manual Mustangs, Ford trucks and a Fairlane. After that it was autos only. My '01 is an auto. Sounds like driving a new manual would be a totally new and different experience for me.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:47 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JR-2001
Interesting.
I grew up driving sticks, my first, a 49 Ford Pickup, then a bunch of manual Mustangs, Ford trucks and a Fairlane. After that it was autos only. My '01 is an auto. Sounds like driving a new manual would be a totally new and different experience for me.
It's kind of subtle differences... but it made me feel like.. WTH? What am I doing wrong.... but, NOT anymore.
Along with the throttle response change...
I upgraded to the C6 Z06 shifter, did the Anti Venom Mod, changed to Amsoil Torque drive trans fluid, Lucas DOT 4 synthetic for the clutch and have done the Ranger Method about 20 times...
Add together these have all made a big difference in the shifting of the C5 for me
Old 09-08-2015, 09:49 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Thanks! The only other drive-by-wire car I drive is my silverado which is an auto so it doesn't make it as noticeable. The booster sounds like a good idea.

I am going to get rid of CAGS when I get a chance, hopefully in the next week. I will have to try accelerating without the traction/stability control and see how that changes things, but definitely will follow your advice about the parking lot lol.
Also... if you haven't you need to make sure you get an LMC5 module from Compliance Parts when you get your CAGS delete... the LMC5 will fix the Column Lock issue that all the 6 spd cars have
Old 09-08-2015, 09:50 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Fyi

FYI... We do the silverado's and other GM trucks too!

Chuck CoW
Old 09-08-2015, 09:58 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

Also... if you haven't you need to make sure you get an LMC5 module from Compliance Parts when you get your CAGS delete... the LMC5 will fix the Column Lock issue that all the 6 spd cars have
True, that issue crosses my mind every so often. I feel like its a ticking time bomb from what I have read.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

True, that issue crosses my mind every so often. I feel like its a ticking time bomb from what I have read.
It is... not IF... WHEN?
Old 09-08-2015, 10:08 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

Pleasantly surprised by the price of the LMC5, figured it would be much more.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:18 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
FYI... We do the silverado's and other GM trucks too!

Chuck CoW
Chuck exactly what is involved with the throttle response setting, thanks
Old 09-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I really wanted another vette (waited 25 years) but mostly I had a uncontrollable desire to drive a stick car again !!!!!!! I must say (after installing a MGW shifter) this is the easiest stick car I have driven !!!!!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:52 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by akapounder
I really wanted another vette (waited 25 years) but mostly I had a uncontrollable desire to drive a stick car again !!!!!!! I must say (after installing a MGW shifter) this is the easiest stick car I have driven !!!!!
I kinda wish I had waited to do a MGW or Kirban...
but, for the money the C6 Z06 shifter is doing ok...
Old 09-08-2015, 11:58 PM
It'sOver9000!!
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

OP, I learned how to drive stick in my Corvette as well; I had to, because like you I couldn't have the car any other way. I pretty much do the same things as you do on all 3 counts.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:11 AM
MGMTF
Advanced

Originally Posted by It'sOver9000!!
OP, I learned how to drive stick in my Corvette as well; I had to, because like you I couldn't have the car any other way. I pretty much do the same things as you do on all 3 counts.
Good to know I am not the only one haha! How long have you had the car?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:25 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

About RPM's and shifting ... again SAFETY first, these cars can get away from you in a heart beat.
Having said that... you can easily run these cars up to and over 6000 rpm !!!! My rev limiter has been changed to 6700 rpm...
IF haven't driven any high performance vehicles... it sounds like your going to BLOW your motor, but, they were built to do it.
So, don't be afraid to run the RPM's up a bit,,, the power doesn't really start coming on with the stock LS1 till about 3k RPM... then you better be ready. I normally just roll into the throttle rather than just smashing it to the floor, you may be surprised even if you do this fairly quickly how fast things can get out of control... Now I am talking about doing this in a STRAIGHT LINE till you know what to expect... don't even think about any of this going around a corner or on a curve or you may wind up in the ditch or wrapped around some power pole...
In a turn with the posi rear end when the tires break loose the rear end is coming around... in high performance cars thats gonna happen REAL fast. It can be controlled once you've learned the limits of the car.
Have fun learning
I think I would even suggest a driving school for vettes if you can find one...
Old 09-09-2015, 10:43 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

OP, one thing you need to do is when going from a stop and leaving in First you need to add RPMs to get up to a reasonable speed to fully engage the clutch sooner without stalling the car. If you are riding/slipping the clutch all the way through first and only let it become fully engaged about the time for Second you are putting unnecessary wear on it. If someone is in front of you let them go and just delay your motion.

Replacing a clutch on these cars is a significant effort due to the torque tube design. No just dropping the driveshaft and removing the bell housing.

Everything else in your Post 1 seems fine.

Mr. Sam

Get notified of new replies

To Manual Driving Tips

Old 09-09-2015, 10:47 AM
MGMTF
Advanced

Originally Posted by dadaroo
OP, one thing you need to do is when going from a stop and leaving in First you need to add RPMs to get up to a reasonable speed to fully engage the clutch sooner without stalling the car. If you are riding/slipping the clutch all the way through first and only let it become fully engaged about the time for Second you are putting unnecessary wear on it. If someone is in front of you let them go and just delay your motion.

Replacing a clutch on these cars is a significant effort due to the torque tube design. No just dropping the driveshaft and removing the bell housing.

Everything else in your Post 1 seems fine.

Mr. Sam
Thanks for the input, I have heard the clutch is a pain.

I will have to try giving the car more rpms beyond what I would have otherwise considered normal. I never had an issue of stalling it was more just being jerky.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:53 PM
It'sOver9000!!
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Good to know I am not the only one haha! How long have you had the car?
I've had her for 4 fantastic years now.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:00 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

Originally Posted by It'sOver9000!!
I've had her for 4 fantastic years now.
Nice, what do you do at low speeds to prevent the car from lurching when coming off the gas? (#1 in original post)

Quick Reply: Manual Driving Tips