Sponsored by:

[Z06] C5 Z06 vs. LS2 C6, looking for input

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:54 PM
SLPhawk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Z06 vs. LS2 C6, looking for input

Hey guys. I'm a Camaro guy who is looking to replace his LS1 SS Camaro. I've always like the C5 Z06's and have noticed the price really come down on them lately for mileage clean cars. However I've also noticed that the 05-06 LS2 Vettes have dropped into the mid $20's as well. I don't know anything about the C6's but here's what I'm looking for in my next ride;

light weight
400+hp
6 speed manual
low miles
red
basic options, I hate frilly stuff like navigation and sound systems. I am of the mind set that I want my cars to drive, not entertain me with electronics and extra crap. Excluding AC, CD, and power windows/locks, if a race car doesn't have it, I dont want it.

So those of you who have a C5 Z06 and have experience with LS2 C6s what are your thoughts? Pluses and minuses. The C6 is obviously the current body style and will look newer but I'm not sure how much street cred a base C6 gets vs. a C5 Z car. Did GM make the base C6 on par with a C5 Z or is it inferior?
Old 11-20-2011, 03:11 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

I obviously have a C5Z but also have experience with my buddies C6s.
I'm admittedly biased but the early model LS2 based C6s, even the Z51 are at best barely equal to the C5Z in performance, they're more expensive and they're kind of plain looking. Now if you were talking about the new C6 Grand Sport that's another story. Much better looking car, better performance, but nearly 3x the price of a nice C5Z.
IMHO the C5Z is the best performance value available.
Good luck deciding.
Jim
Old 11-20-2011, 03:15 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Sounds like you'd be happier with a C5Z based on your criteria.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:52 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want a little more driving comfort go with the C6. If you want a more raw racecar feel, get the C5Z.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:03 PM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SLPhawk
light weight
400+hp
6 speed manual
low miles
red
basic options, I hate frilly stuff like navigation and sound systems. I am of the mind set that I want my cars to drive, not entertain me with electronics and extra crap. Excluding AC, CD, and power windows/locks, if a race car doesn't have it, I dont want it.
Sounds like you may want to look @ 1999 - 2000 MODIFIED FRC's ?
Old 11-20-2011, 04:07 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MawneeC5
If you want a little more driving comfort go with the C6. If you want a more raw racecar feel, get the C5Z.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here was my post on the topic in a similar thread, having had both cars, and currently a C5Z.

When I originally bought a Corvette I bought an 06 Z51 6 speed. I was originally looking at C5Zs but talked myself into the C6 Z51 because it was the newer (and therefore "better") car. The only problem was it always bothered me that it wasn't a Z06. A low mile Z06 showed up at a local dealership and I took the opportunity to test drive it. I drove my Z51 to the lot and drove the Z06 for a back to back comparison. There was no comparison. The LS6 had a stronger top end rush than the LS2. Like others have mentioned the Z06 doesn't pretend to be plush. It rides stiffer, is louder from the lack of sound deadening, and gives more feedback overall. The Z51 brakes actually felt softer than the Z06's. The factory titanium exhaust on the Z06 has a very distinct rumble, NOTHING like the stock C6 (which may as well have no tone whatsoever).

When it comes time to make the choice you have to decide what you want. The C6 is newer, has an updated interior, removable top, and superior headlights. The Z06 has (in my opinion) a better engine. It handles better, you feel the road, and it's got lots of little tech bits most people won't appreciate. I like the idea of thinner glass, no sound deadening, titanium exhaust, the FRC, etc.

Some other things to consider are the technology on the C6. Indexed windows, touch pad doors, push button exit and start buttons. Very interesting and trick bits to add to the car, but not for me. I like doors with handles, key ignitions, and a stereo that isn't seamless with the dash. These are all personal preferences. I feel the interior in the C5Z is actually nicer than the C6 I had. Everything in the C5Z is covered in a faux leather (dash, door panels, console) while my 3LT Z51 was all plastic.

If the C6 Z51 was equivalent to a man carving a stick with a pocket knife, the C5 Z06 is a mountain man carving a bear out of a log with a chainsaw. Wearing a flannel shirt. In the snow. With sawdust in his beard.

You get the idea.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:23 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I've run HPDE's with other early C6 Z51 cars and there's a definite performance advantage when it comes to the C5Z, at least on the tracks I was on. The base C6 just strikes me as the bare minimum to sell you a Corvette. I truly feel the spirit of "Corvette" can only be experienced via a Z06/ZR1. Those are the cars that have received the most the engineers and the racing teams experience could offer to the public. Once you go Z06, you'll never accept less.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:03 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Sounds like you'd be happier with a C5Z based on your criteria.
I agree. The C5 Z is more raw, and has slightly higher performance stock. Since you said you didn't care about extra frilly features, it sounds like a C5 is in your future ! If you are planning on modding, the LS2 might be worth considering since with the 4.0" bore, it can use LS3 based heads, which are pretty inexpensive and very good performance. The LS6 also has a huge potential though, and the extra .3L of displacement is not a huge issue.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by 310
Here was my post on the topic in a similar thread, having had both cars, and currently a C5Z.

When I originally bought a Corvette I bought an 06 Z51 6 speed. I was originally looking at C5Zs but talked myself into the C6 Z51 because it was the newer (and therefore "better") car. The only problem was it always bothered me that it wasn't a Z06. A low mile Z06 showed up at a local dealership and I took the opportunity to test drive it. I drove my Z51 to the lot and drove the Z06 for a back to back comparison. There was no comparison. The LS6 had a stronger top end rush than the LS2. Like others have mentioned the Z06 doesn't pretend to be plush. It rides stiffer, is louder from the lack of sound deadening, and gives more feedback overall. The Z51 brakes actually felt softer than the Z06's. The factory titanium exhaust on the Z06 has a very distinct rumble, NOTHING like the stock C6 (which may as well have no tone whatsoever).

When it comes time to make the choice you have to decide what you want. The C6 is newer, has an updated interior, removable top, and superior headlights. The Z06 has (in my opinion) a better engine. It handles better, you feel the road, and it's got lots of little tech bits most people won't appreciate. I like the idea of thinner glass, no sound deadening, titanium exhaust, the FRC, etc.

Some other things to consider are the technology on the C6. Indexed windows, touch pad doors, push button exit and start buttons. Very interesting and trick bits to add to the car, but not for me. I like doors with handles, key ignitions, and a stereo that isn't seamless with the dash. These are all personal preferences. I feel the interior in the C5Z is actually nicer than the C6 I had. Everything in the C5Z is covered in a faux leather (dash, door panels, console) while my 3LT Z51 was all plastic.

If the C6 Z51 was equivalent to a man carving a stick with a pocket knife, the C5 Z06 is a mountain man carving a bear out of a log with a chainsaw. Wearing a flannel shirt. In the snow. With sawdust in his beard.

You get the idea.
So true. Can't add a thing.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:25 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I went thru your dilemma in 2007. Was about to sign the papers on a black 2006 Z51, but test-drove a C5Z just to check all the boxes. Boy am I glad I did.

The C5Z fits me better physically and figuratively. It is raw, visceral and wears its heart on its sleeve. The C6 was plush and deceptively quick, the C5Z bragged about its performance. The body-style is polarizing, but I love it.

Ultimately, I bought the newest C5Z I could find locally (a 2004 Z16) and haven't regretted it. A 2008+ LS3 C6 is tempting, but not enough. A C6Z would be my only realistic upgrade...
Old 11-21-2011, 12:24 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

I was in a similar situation as you, I just sold my 97z28 last month. I didn't even consider a c6 though, mainly because I love the styling and raw feel of the c5z. Just got an 03z a week ago and I am amazed by this cars power and handling abilities. Coming from an lt1 camaro the ls6 is just insane in the way it makes power to me, never drove anything remotely close to this car.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:25 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

5 years ago when I bought my 04-Z....I test drove an 05-C6 and my Z back-to-back.

First we took the C6....The car was very nice, felt like a high performance caddy to me. It was very plush, and would have made for a very nice car to cruise with the wife in. Needless to say, she loved it...with all those bells and whistles (NAV, Onstar, etc......).

Then we drove the Z.....as soon as we went thru the first set of curves, my wife looks at me and says "I know you're going to get this one"...."damn right I am" - I chuckled to myself. This car fit me like a glove....race car feel, very responsive steering, and more than enough hp to get me in trouble.

My advice....Drive them both back-to-back if you can. Then make your decision

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 vs. LS2 C6, looking for input

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5 Z06 vs. LS2 C6, looking for input