Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Noticeable increase in engine noise after removing hood liner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:26 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Noticeable increase in engine noise after removing hood liner?

To those that have removed the hood liner - Did you notice any increase in engine noise from inside the cabin?

This is apparently one of its intended effects, but I haven't found any comments that state directly whether or not a change in cabin noise was noticeable. Thanks.

P.S. - I'm not at all interested in underhood bling, so don't bother posting pictures of your sweet underhood paint job... I'm just curious about the noise issue.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:58 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Why remove it? ... the underside of the hood is probably pretty ugly without it.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

If it doesn't serve a useful purpose, I think I'd prefer the gritty race car look of a bare underhood. Different strokes for different folks.

Plus, it would remove a couple pounds from the front of the car. And, my air bridge currently rubs against it.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

It actually weighs practically nothing.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:13 AM
HotrodZ06
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Last month I removed the hood liner on my Z06, filled all the holes and seams, and re-finished the underside of the stock hood in polyurethane satin black. I really do not notice any increase in engine noise inside the cabin when driving. As mentioned above, the hood liner is very lightweight but it was starting to look worn and the Halltech power duct did rub on the liner. Without the liner, the power duct has about 1/8" clearance from the underside of the hood, which was one of the main reasons I removed it.

Rod
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 331 Posts

The hood liner has two functions. 1) Insulate the hood from the engine heat in order to protect the paint. 2) Noise reduction.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Just like taking the carpet and insulation out of the cabin ( Race cars ) there is more noise.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:04 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
The hood liner has two functions. 1) Insulate the hood from the engine heat in order to protect the paint. 2) Noise reduction.
Based on my limited research, #1 is complete baloney. There are a LOT of guys running without hood liners (on both the stock hood and aftermarket ones) and I haven't heard of anyone ever reporting paint damage. Fire retardant is apparently the other purpose of the liner besides noise reduction.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Just like taking the carpet and insulation out of the cabin ( Race cars ) there is more noise.
It's easy to make generalizations like this, but I'm looking for direct experience from users who have actually removed the liner.

Anyone else besides HotrodZ06 have an opinion?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:28 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee
Based on my limited research, #1 is complete baloney. There are a LOT of guys running without hood liners (on both the stock hood and aftermarket ones) and I haven't heard of anyone ever reporting paint damage. Fire retardant is apparently the other purpose of the liner besides noise reduction.
Fire retardant is "complete baloney". Maybe back when cars had carburetors and manual timing abilities and frequent engine backfires. Then the insulator protected the hood from fire damage to a limited degree. In today's cars it about reducing engine compartment noises into the cabin so people can talk on their cellphones, text w/o interruption and listen to their megawatt stereos.

When was the last time you heard of an engine bay fire with fuel injection and computer timing?

But if you don't like it for whatever reason, take it off.

Everyone will have a different sense of whether it's more noisy. Report back with your opinion.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 10-06-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Many new cars don't include a hood blanket. Sometimes we even delete them as a cost savings a year or two after a vehicle is released. It's purpose is purely NVH.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:20 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee
If you seach a little more, you can find opinions going both ways. I for one have had two cars over the years that the paint heat checked several years after the liner was removed. The paint checked directly above the exhaust manifolds. Doesn't matter to me if you believe it or not. If the car has one installed when I buy it, I'll keep it in place. If it is there just for noise reduction; so be it. Do whatever make you happy.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:04 PM
vettemanZ06eb
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took mine off 2 years ago because it was fraying on outside edge did not notice a big diff in sound and no paint issues at all.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Thanks all for the responses. I'll probably remove it one of these next couple weekends, and I'll be sure to update this thread with my reactions.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Evil Oil Apologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the drama.

The engine bay is rather warm environment (non-debatable factoid). Probably a purpose for the liner that is marginal, but done for a reason.

Think I'll beta test taking the hood off. Probably ruin the airflow and dynamics, but the enginee will be cooler. Just say'n.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:13 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Well I took it off yesterday and have since taken a round trip drive to my office for work. There might be a slight noise increase at idle but I can't say for sure. There's no noticeable increase while actually driving, though, at least as far as I can discern.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD

leave it on

Get notified of new replies

To Noticeable increase in engine noise after removing hood liner?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Noticeable increase in engine noise after removing hood liner?