Old 05-05-2011, 06:20 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Clutch fly wheel chatter...

I posted the below write-up in C5 TECH also, but I am posting here also.

So, a few weeks ago I installed a CAM and I am still sporting the LS6 clutch. It is holding up fine. I noticed chatter prior to the install, however it is more noticeable now that the CAM is in. It is only in nuetral. I can engage the clutch and sound goes away. No chatter when cruising. I have a brand new LS7 clutch setup, with new master cylinder and bleeder at my place in South Carolina, but I am in Hawaii. I am hoping to get the car back and have it done there. Price and just more confident in Jamison Corvette doing the install. Here in Hawaii, I have no confidence at all in getting this clutch installed.

The clutch is holding up really well and I have no issues shifting, just a nice chatter when the clutch is not engaged.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Micah
Old 05-05-2011, 07:07 PM
kerryt1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed an aftermarket clutch, only have noise with clutch engaged and in neutral. Seems to be the prop shaft making noise, and it seems to be a common C5 issue.

Clutch chatter in the traditional sense is noise made during a slow launch by the clutch disc and flywheel, at least as I understand it.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:19 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a lopey cam in my C5Z as well...and I get similar chatter when the clutch is not engaged...I also get it when I shut off the car without the pedal engaged.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:08 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by MotoJB
I have a lopey cam in my C5Z as well...and I get similar chatter when the clutch is not engaged...I also get it when I shut off the car without the pedal engaged.
Same here on the turning the car off.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Zo6TT
Instructor

clutch chatter is normal usally for aftermarket clutch kits where the new flywheel is lighter than stock or goes from dual mass to a single mass flywheell....ive fixed this in the past by raising the idle a few hundred rpms....my audi TT idled around 700rpm so i bumped it to 900 and ZERO clutch chatter.....the fact that once you push in the clutch pedal and you have zero chatter points to this being the case...nothing to worry about and chatter can get better as the clutch breaks in (500 miles or so) unless the chatter is SUPER loud and the car shakes you have nothing to worry about...try getting someone to raise your idle 200-300 rpms to see if that clears it up before doing anything else.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:42 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Zo6TT
clutch chatter is normal usally for aftermarket clutch kits where the new flywheel is lighter than stock or goes from dual mass to a single mass flywheell....ive fixed this in the past by raising the idle a few hundred rpms....my audi TT idled around 700rpm so i bumped it to 900 and ZERO clutch chatter.....the fact that once you push in the clutch pedal and you have zero chatter points to this being the case...nothing to worry about and chatter can get better as the clutch breaks in (500 miles or so) unless the chatter is SUPER loud and the car shakes you have nothing to worry about...try getting someone to raise your idle 200-300 rpms to see if that clears it up before doing anything else.
C-5s come with single mass flywheels from the factory. The OP's clutch is neither new or aftermarket. His car still has the OEM LS6 clutch installed.

So, a few weeks ago I installed a CAM and I am still sporting the LS6 clutch.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Zo6TT
Instructor

Ya just saw that. Mis read. Thought he had te ls7 in it now. Lol happens sometimes wen I only get two hrs of sleep and work 25 hrs in past two days. I've never heard of actual clutch chatter with any stock clutch setup. Has anyone else??? How's your pedal pressure feel? Doesn't slip at all?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Zo6TT
Ya just saw that. Mis read. Thought he had te ls7 in it now. Lol happens sometimes wen I only get two hrs of sleep and work 25 hrs in past two days. I've never heard of actual clutch chatter with any stock clutch setup. Has anyone else??? How's your pedal pressure feel? Doesn't slip at all?
Thanks for your post(s).

I have no slipping and the pedal is no different than before. In fact, I had a similiar sound prior to CAM install. It is just more noticeable now. Outside of that, the car feels and sounds great.

This is going to sound like a really DUMB question, but is the clutch just behind the engine or just in front of the tranny? I would check my shop manuals, but I am not at home this weekend.

Micah
Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Flywheel,pressure plate,clutch disc, slave cyl & throw out bearing ,
all directly behind the engine.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by bumble-z
Flywheel,pressure plate,clutch disc, slave cyl & throw out bearing ,
all directly behind the engine.
That's what I thought. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:36 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Sounds like your TO bearing is the noise. Since it's a part of the slave cylinder, and you have a modified motor, your original parts are on borrowed time. GL with a solution.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by zeevette
Sounds like your TO bearing is the noise. Since it's a part of the slave cylinder, and you have a modified motor, your original parts are on borrowed time. GL with a solution.
I am thinking the same way. I have an entire LS7 setup ready to install. Problem is...I am in Hawaii and the clutch setup is in South Carolina!

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch fly wheel chatter...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch fly wheel chatter...