Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Valve Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's the Proform tool I bought from Summit for $85. Worked great.

Here's my 02 head after spring install.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:05 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

[QUOTE=NatB
Funny thing is this- the best Corvette Performance shop in the country based in Houston has never heard of valve spring failure as a chronic problem for unabused 2002 Z06 corvettes.
[/QUOTE]

That is funny because many here on this forum have had spring failures from normal driving. I remember a few guys saying that they were doing maybe 30-40mph at low rpm. Its a definite trouble spot on the 2002 model and some 2003
Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
That is funny because many here on this forum have had spring failures from normal driving. I remember a few guys saying that they were doing maybe 30-40mph at low rpm. Its a definite trouble spot on the 2002 model and some 2003
I know- I read the same posts with great concern for my own Z06.

I have done a lot of research over the past year on the valve spring issue. I do not know the answer- but wonder whether it has to do with how the cars are driven. Besides this one shop, I have had people email me that are LS engine builder/rebuilders that tell me it is all internet hype. Of course, there are incidences where springs fail. This on all perfomance car engines with aggressive cams.

I'm on the fence- and still leaning towards replacing the springs just to put it to rest...

Last edited by NatB; 02-07-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by NatB
I know- I read the same posts with great concern for my own Z06.

I have done a lot of research over the past year on the valve spring issue. I do not know the answer- but wonder whether it has to do with how the cars are driven. Besides this one shop, I have had people email me that are LS engine builder/rebuilders that tell me it is all internet hype. Of course, there are incidences where springs fail. This on all perfomance car engines with aggressive cams.

I'm on the fence- and still leaning towards replacing the springs just to put it to rest...
Well, I kinda looked at it the same way..... There were enough guys having trouble that I figured better safe than sorry. For $200. and some fun in the garage, why not? I bought my tools off the Bay ( air hose with the spark plug threaded fitting and valve spring compressor) and it took me a few hours to do the job. Not sure how many miles are on your car, but I had 76k on mine when I did the springs, so I also went to GM and bought both the intake and exhaust valve seals and did those while I was at it.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Pipedream
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NatB
Actually- I was strongly leaning towards the PAC 1518's. But after my own exhaustive research on this forum - I concluded the 1518's were too much for the oem cam and valvetrain components.

I like the way the 1518's are designed - but I convinced myself the 1218's were better suited to run the stock Z06 valvetrain. This based on a lot of information from this forum .

Furthermore- I finally concluded the stock GM springs are probably the best of all for a stock engine. The revised springs since 2004 haven't the issues at all reporteed in earlier years.

Funny thing is this- the best Corvette Performance shop in the country based in Houston has never heard of valve spring failure as a chronic problem for unabused 2002 Z06 corvettes.

All said - trust me, the thought of a busted valve spring catches my attention too.
I am running the 1518s... surprising how many people will comment on them, that are still on the factory cam and springs... anyway.. if you are sticking with the factory cam, you are correct just go with the 1218s, BUT understand, the closed seat pressure between the two is the same, 130#s (1.8" install height). The only measured difference are at loads of 1.2" @ 318#s for the the 1218s and 1.150" @ 337#s for the 1518s. Really not that much difference, but go with what you are comfortable with.

Good luck...
Old 02-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Sinister-Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 75 L82
Here's the Proform tool I bought from Summit for $85. Worked great.

Here's my 02 head after spring install.

I like how you can do two springs at a time with this tool. It looks similar to the Crane tool that I have seen before.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Sinister-Z
Racer

I'm really starting to lean toward that PAC 1218's or the new GM Performance replacement LS6 springs. I plan on keeping the stock cam for now...so it seems "cost wise" the LS6 springs would be the better bet. Although... one would think that the PAC's or one of the other aftermarket springs would provide a little better valve train stability at higher RPM. Especially since I'm running a boosted set up.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I would go with the better springs when boosted.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 AM
budnate
Instructor

I need to do this as well this spring in my '02 its driving me nuts in the back of mind everytime I take it out......question as you guys have been digging into this again...are the NEW GM springs being offered running the same retainers and clips we allready have in the cars now?? ,or do we need new ones?

Thnx B.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 AM
VCUFAN
Burning Brakes

Kind of crazy that the tool is more than the stock springs. Definitely going to be doing this soon since I have a relatively early 2003 model.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister-Z
I like how you can do two springs at a time with this tool. It looks similar to the Crane tool that I have seen before.
Chinese copy/theft of Crane Cam's hard work designing it.

Proform is an offshore company. Friggin cheaterz, and Summit smiles as they market it and make a couple bucks.

This is a growing problem in the U.S. -Everything from cloned LG headers to basic tools and parts.... WE do all the inventing, designing, investing in good intentioned capitalism and they copy it, mass produce it with their virtual slave labor and dump it on us cheaper than the real McCoy.

Vote with your wallet and more importantly, your conscience. Don't complain about china later in life as it takes over if you yourself NOW don't look past the "Made in China" label. -With everything you buy!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Sinister-Z
Racer

Originally Posted by bullitt4110
I would go with the better springs when boosted.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.

Originally Posted by budnate
I need to do this as well this spring in my '02 its driving me nuts in the back of mind everytime I take it out......question as you guys have been digging into this again...are the NEW GM springs being offered running the same retainers and clips we allready have in the cars now?? ,or do we need new ones?

Thnx B.
From everything I have read, the "new" LS6 springs will drop in using all your original retainers and such. I would probalby replace the valve seals with new ones since your already in there.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Sinister-Z
Racer

Originally Posted by ~Joshua
Chinese copy/theft of Crane Cam's hard work designing it.

Proform is an offshore company. Friggin cheaterz, and Summit smiles as they market it and make a couple bucks.

This is a growing problem in the U.S. -Everything from cloned LG headers to basic tools and parts.... WE do all the inventing, designing, investing in good intentioned capitalism and they copy it, mass produce it with their virtual slave labor and dump it on us cheaper than the real McCoy.

Vote with your wallet and more importantly, your conscience. Don't complain about china later in life as it takes over if you yourself NOW don't look past the "Made in China" label. -With everything you buy!

I try to buy american as much as possible and I would never put a chinese "knock off" part on my vette.

I just purchased "Tims Tool" for my valve spring removal and not ony was it cheap ($35 or $60 with air tool) it is made in the USA. It's suppose to be the best tool for valve spring removal for LSX based engines. All the reviews I have read say how easy it makes the job compared to others on the market (including the Crane tool).

Last edited by Sinister-Z; 02-08-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Picure of Tims Tool added
Old 02-08-2011, 12:40 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

^ I agree....

Tim's tool is awesome (it has many names over the years) and can be found for $35 on fleabay.

So easy, even an 18 month old can use it.

Here's my boy learning mechanics at a young age helping me rebuild a set of 243s using that tool.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Tukon44
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I seen a few pics in here that were double spring and I bet they were glad they did it. I also read the pros and cons on them. of course, they were aftermarket and maybe thats why they broke in the first place??? maybe another cheap chinese product. have these new LS6 replacement springs been proven to be a solid fix without worry??
Old 02-08-2011, 01:32 PM
monster81
8th Gear

Not to highjack the thread...i ordered the stock replacement LS6 springs from summit last month, the invoive says (Germany) as the source of the springs but the lable on the box says "made in Mexico" !!! Its confiusing
Anyway, what makes u guys think the aftermarket springs are better than the stock GM replacement springs on a stock engine?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:55 PM
budnate
Instructor

Originally Posted by monster81
Not to highjack the thread...i ordered the stock replacement LS6 springs from summit last month, the invoive says (Germany) as the source of the springs but the lable on the box says "made in Mexico" !!! Its confiusing
Anyway, what makes u guys think the aftermarket springs are better than the stock GM replacement springs on a stock engine?

that's weird, the word was they were made in Germany...bet there being shipped in through Mexico in bulk and boxed there....I am going to just stick stockers back in and call it good...what was your summit part number showing on this batch???

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Springs

Old 02-08-2011, 03:04 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I respectfully disagree...many people running this combo without issue.
but do they give up HP ? I bet they do.

I use comp 918s and get them straight from comp
Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister-Z
Thanks for the info. What kind of grease are you using?
Plain old valvoline general purpose grease. Anything will do. I just rub a little on the threads where it will have load on it and between the washers.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Sinister-Z
Racer

Originally Posted by MawneeC5
Plain old valvoline general purpose grease. Anything will do. I just rub a little on the threads where it will have load on it and between the washers.
Sounds good. Thanks!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve Springs