Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Vararam Intake install

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 PM
rstmeredZ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey warren s, how in hell did you get the MAF to mount at the throttle body? Mine just had to go at the other end of the power duct.
Yes I'm getting a CEL, but for $20, a friend will add fuel to eliminate the lean situation.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:59 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEE-OH-6
Hey SCM, besides the install heartache did you notice any performance issues good or bad ?
Threw lean codes right away, but that happens almost every time with de-screened MAFs. Aside from that, it made an enormous difference. I didn't get to run my car at the track before the vararam was installed, so I can't give you numbers, but you feel the difference from 3000RPM and up. Before on the freeway if I was in 3rd and punched it, it wouldn't light up the tires. But now it does.

One thing to note is that you can definitely tell there's a lot of turbulence going on because when you keep the same speed going down hill or coast for a few seconds, it hesitates or surges every now and then. I'm sure that it's because there is air getting in that isn't getting metered by the MAF.

Aside from that, it's the greatest addition to the car so far.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:19 AM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Threw lean codes right away, but that happens almost every time with de-screened MAFs. Aside from that, it made an enormous difference. I didn't get to run my car at the track before the vararam was installed, so I can't give you numbers, but you feel the difference from 3000RPM and up. Before on the freeway if I was in 3rd and punched it, it wouldn't light up the tires. But now it does.

One thing to note is that you can definitely tell there's a lot of turbulence going on because when you keep the same speed going down hill or coast for a few seconds, it hesitates or surges every now and then. I'm sure that it's because there is air getting in that isn't getting metered by the MAF.

Aside from that, it's the greatest addition to the car so far.
COOOL, I have been re-motivated to install mine now
Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
This may explain some of my drivability with it
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
CorvetteRanch
Instructor

I agree the VR was somewhat of a nuisance to install. Tight fit for sure. Had to bend in the radiator shroud a little. Silicon joints only bent so far. Mine threw codes after a couple days worth of driving, turns out the MAF had oil on it from the air filter. I used some MAF spray from NAPA and it was fine there after.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CorvetteRanch
I agree the VR was somewhat of a nuisance to install. Tight fit for sure. Had to bend in the radiator shroud a little. Silicon joints only bent so far. Mine threw codes after a couple days worth of driving, turns out the MAF had oil on it from the air filter. I used some MAF spray from NAPA and it was fine there after.
good to know
Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COOOL, I have been re-motivated to install mine now
Hey Zee get the MAF screen from HALLTECH i know i said it already but i does make a difference
Steve
Old 01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by machz800ps
Hey Zee get the MAF screen from HALLTECH i know i said it already but i does make a difference
Steve
Hey Steve, I am thinking of installing first without the MAF screen to see what happens since it is not originally provided with the system ?

After the VR install how difficult is it to install the MAF screen

the ZEEster........
Old 01-11-2011, 05:24 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Hey Steve, I am thinking of installing first without the MAF screen to see what happens since it is not originally provided with the system ?

the ZEEster........
anything like mine, it will be very difficult. If it installes like the other guy's pictures, shouldnt be too hard
Old 01-11-2011, 05:59 PM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sabastian458
anything like mine, it will be very difficult. If it installes like the other guy's pictures, shouldnt be too hard
hummmmmmmm...decisions, decisions
Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 PM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Sabastian are you thinking about the powerduct the maf screen is not that hard??? it just a screen that you press inside the front of the maf

Steve
Old 01-11-2011, 08:17 PM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

the ZEEster........

not hard at all remove air bridge and maf and install, go to halltechs web site they have directions on line. its a round piece of honeycomb alum. screen fits inside the front of the maf, i think sabastian is thinking about the power duct.So yes you can install it after the fact thats what i did

Steve

Last edited by machz800ps; 01-11-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 PM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by machz800ps
not hard at all remove air bridge and maf and install, go to halltechs web site they have directions on line. its a round piece of honeycomb alum. screen fits inside the front of the maf, i think sabastian is thinking about the power duct.So yes you can install it after the fact thats what i did

Steve
COOOOOOOOOOL
Old 01-11-2011, 09:58 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

i was being slightly sarcastic. The act of removing the bridge and maf isnt hard, but if your varram is like mine, putting it back together will be hard.

Im going to see if 1 of the mafs that i have laying arround (from other manufactures) has a honeycomb that I can use. well for testing to see if it helps on my car, if we ever thaw out that is.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Just Cruise
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made my Vararam work with the K@N filter induction. I just cut off enough otf the K@N cold air induction until they both met up nice. Works great
Old 01-12-2011, 01:24 AM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tayman1975
I made my Vararam work with the K@N filter induction. I just cut off enough otf the K@N cold air induction until they both met up nice. Works great
Pictures ????
Old 01-13-2011, 12:10 AM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

i was being slightly sarcastic. The act of removing the bridge and maf isnt hard, but if your varram is like mine, putting it back together will be hard.

Im going to see if 1 of the mafs that i have laying arround (from other manufactures) has a honeycomb that I can use. well for testing to see if it helps on my car, if we ever thaw out that is.
Sometimes im a little slow
Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam Intake install

Old 01-13-2011, 06:59 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rstmeredZ
Hey warren s, how in hell did you get the MAF to mount at the throttle body? Mine just had to go at the other end of the power duct.
Yes I'm getting a CEL, but for $20, a friend will add fuel to eliminate the lean situation.
I used the coupler that came with the power duct. had to cut a small square shaped piece out and a very very small bit of WD-40. Slid right on.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

My VR install took about 2 1/2 hrs with the wifey helping me with the usual "hold this" and "hand me that" .

The PD take about 15 min tops...worth the money IMO. The additional thing I did was to get one of the Halltech honeycomb MAF screens,since my 02Z did not have one.

These 3 items renders a good SOP diff.How much I do not know.

I am NOT a true mechanic....simple stuff & maint.
\db2
carolina
Old 01-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Vararam products are junk but they sure do produce results at the track.

I replaced my Vararam with a supercharger

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vararam Intake install