Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Z06 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C5 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS6 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 11-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
LowNSlow01
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to LowNSlow01
Default SLP Long Tube headers

Hey guys,

I have searched and searched on this forum for a review for SLP Long Tube headers. Here is a link to the product in question.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=30095

The reason I am really interested in these is because my friend has a set that apparently has my name on it and is willing to sell it to me for $400. Most of the exhausts I hear about are LG & American Racing. Has anyone heard of SLP and are they good?

My car is bone stock except for the intake mod. If I install these, will I gain any performance at all or any nice sound with a tune?

Thanks guys!
LowNSlow01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
RedZMonte
CF Senior Member

SLP is a reputable company that has been around for a long time. SLP makes the factory modifications to many GM cars (Camaro SS, Trans Am WS6). for $400 i would say its hard to beat. the Stock Z06 Manifolds are pretty efficent from what i understand so gains without other mods will be relativly minimal. Most Long Tube headers are all very comparble to one another.

S
RedZMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
zeevette
CF Senior Member

Is it the entire system shown in the SLP catalog? If so, it looks like a steal@ $400. Real extra HP, and better sound are both things that you get with long tube headers, and this looks like a nice system. To get full benefit from your headers, a dyno tune would be your next step, unless you plan on making other engine mods soon.
'02 black/black. LGM headers/cats/X. iForge "Aero" 18/19 combo. Koni FSDs. Trickflow/TEA heads,and HS rockers, MGW shifter.A&A Vortech V3si trim, and A&A COMP blower cam.RPS Twin Carbon Street. Tick master. Diff by RKT56. ECS brace. Pfadt diff brace. Somebody stop me...

I should be careful what I ask for....
zeevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
LowNSlow01
CF Senior Member

Actually it is just the headers without the bolts and extensions. I thought it was the whole system too until I asked him for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
Is it the entire system shown in the SLP catalog? If so, it looks like a steal@ $400. Real extra HP, and better sound are both things that you get with long tube headers, and this looks like a nice system. To get full benefit from your headers, a dyno tune would be your next step, unless you plan on making other engine mods soon.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
Edmond
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

The exhaust manifolds may be efficient but they're not as efficient as headers. With the headers, you will flow more air and lose weight. Those cast iron manifolds are heavy!

With the long tubes and a tune, you should easily pick up 20 RWHP.
Edmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
zeevette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNSlow01 View Post
Actually it is just the headers without the bolts and extensions. I thought it was the whole system too until I asked him for more details.
Still a good deal for new headers, but no where near as good as I first thought. You reuse your header bolts, BTW, and remember to use anti-seize compound on the threads.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
LowNSlow01
CF Senior Member

Can I use my stock cats too? I really want my car to be smog legal or close to it so I can pass smog when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
Still a good deal for new headers, but no where near as good as I first thought. You reuse your header bolts, BTW.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
mph1972
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via Yahoo to mph1972

I have ran these HEADERS on a previous C5 and I will NEVER put them on my car again, even they were FREE! Reason is the tubing design requires you to run a wiring harness through a tube on the passenger side and if do not do this properly it will melt it. There is a kit you can purchase from SLP that provides protective measures to prevent melting the harness, but the fit is tight and the tubing designs also comes incredibly close to other wires routed at the rear of the engine compartment. I got lucky, I didn't care for the design and replaced it shortly after I bought a used set (mine had the H-Pipe and other supporting hardware) and I paid $400 for everything. When I removed them, that is when I realized how close to melting a great deal of wiring, because I wrapped up what was recommended. If you do this, get the best heat-shielding tape you can find and wrap everything remotely close to these tubes. Trust me when I say, I WAS very lucky I didn't ruin my harnesses.

Good luck.
mph1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:22 AM   #9
zeevette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNSlow01 View Post
Can I use my stock cats too? I really want my car to be smog legal or close to it so I can pass smog when the time comes.
No, you can't use your stock cats, unless you do some cutting and welding. As far as I know, any LT header is illegal in CA.
'02 black/black. LGM headers/cats/X. iForge "Aero" 18/19 combo. Koni FSDs. Trickflow/TEA heads,and HS rockers, MGW shifter.A&A Vortech V3si trim, and A&A COMP blower cam.RPS Twin Carbon Street. Tick master. Diff by RKT56. ECS brace. Pfadt diff brace. Somebody stop me...

I should be careful what I ask for....
Old 11-06-2010, 04:22 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page SLP Long Tube headers

Tags
30095, c5, c6, corvette, corvetteforum, gains, header, headers, long, longtube, review, slp, tube, tubes, z06