Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Side Window... No go.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Passenger Side Window... No go.

Today I noticed my passenger side window wouldn't roll down. It was fine yesterday. I did a search and didn't find my exact problem.

Here's the symptoms:
The switches from both sides of the car make the door "click". I can hear it trying to do something and the lights even dim as if there's a good current draw. (I also tried rolling the window down with the window valet)

I've tried the "Hold the down button and bang/slam the door" trick.

Everything else on that door works fine. The lock switch, mirror, and lights.

Luckily it's in the up position right now. I found a thread that linked to a how-to, but for whatever reason it says I don't have permission to view the thread.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:30 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It's a fairly common problem. The windows share functions with the door lock module. The relays are cheap components and fail regularly. The "percussion technique" really only tries to bring the relay back to life.

I had the passenger door lock module replaced under warranty but it's playing up again. I really should change it but its not as much of a problem as a bad window would be.

The definitive thread is Bakersfields tutorial but I'm having the same problem accessing it. It shows just about everything you need.

This procedure from the manual may help but you probably just need a new window relay

Document ID# 668562
2002 Chevrolet Corvette
Power Window Inoperative - Passenger Door

Step

Action

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Door Control Module Schematics

Connector End View Reference: Power Door Systems Connector End Views

Did you perform the Door Systems Diagnostic System Check?

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Door Systems

Verify that the passenger door power window inoperative fault is present.

Does the passenger door power window operate normallly?

Go to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems

Go to Step 3

Is the driver window, driver door lock and power mirrors inoperative also?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 4

Is the passenger door lock inoperative also?

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 5

1. Install a scan tool.
2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
3. Observe the Psgr. Window Down Switch and Psgr. Window Up Switch parameters in the Left Door Control Module data list.
4. Operate the driver door switch passenger window switch UP and DOWN.

Does the scan tool display Active for the Psgr. Window Down Switch and Psgr. Window Up Switch parameters?

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 10

1. Observe the Psgr. Window Down Switch and Psgr. Window Up Switch parameters in the Right Door Control Module data list.
2. Operate the passenger door window switch UP and DOWN.

Does the scan tool display Active for the Psgr. Window Down Switch and Psgr. Window Up Switch parameters?

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 11

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2. Disconnect the passenger window motor.
3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
4. Connect a test lamp between the power window right front up control circuit of the passenger window motor and the power window right front down control circuit of the passenger window motor.
5. Operate the passenger door window switch UP and DOWN.

Does the test lamp illuminate in both directions?

Go to Step 13

Go to Step 12

Test the driver door switch ground circuit for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 21

Go to Step 14

Test the passenger door switch ground circuit for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 21

Go to Step 15

Test the driver door switch power window master switch right front signal circuits for a short to voltage or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 21

Go to Step 14

Test the passenger door switch power window master switch right front signal circuits for a short to voltage or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 21

Go to Step 15

Test the passenger window motor power window motor left front control circuits for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 21

Go to Step 16

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the passenger window motor. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 21

Go to Step 17

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the driver door switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 21

Go to Step 18

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the passenger door switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 21

Go to Step 19

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the passenger door module (PDM). Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 21

Go to Step 20

Replace the passenger window motor. Refer to Window Regulator Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 21

--

Replace the driver door switch. Refer to Front Door Switch Replacement .

Go to Step 21

--

Replace the passenger door switch. Refer to Front Door Switch Replacement .

Go to Step 21

--

Replace the passenger door module. Refer to Door Control Module Replacement .

Go to Step 21

--

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

System OK

Go to Step 2
Document ID# 668562
2002 Chevrolet Corvette

Last edited by DeeGee; 11-03-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Jazzkat
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SCM - If you decide to replace the door module, I have one that I purchased new in my attempt to resolve issue with my driver window. I do not know what the physical differences are between the driver and passenger module.

If I can assist by reducing your out of pocket while at the same time minimizing my out of pocket I am glad to help

I am in Yorba Linda.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:26 PM
C5at57
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM sent.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:02 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jazzkat
SCM - If you decide to replace the door module, I have one that I purchased new in my attempt to resolve issue with my driver window. I do not know what the physical differences are between the driver and passenger module.

If I can assist by reducing your out of pocket while at the same time minimizing my out of pocket I am glad to help

I am in Yorba Linda.
I haven't pulled the door panel off yet. (Haven't had any time) I need to test to see if it's the relays or if something is actually stuck.

Originally Posted by C5at57
PM sent.
PM Replied to!

UPDATE: I can't feel the window trying to move at all when I push up or down on the window controls. I'd imagine if the track was stuck or if the motor was stuck I'd at least feel some sort of vibration, although I could be wrong.

My question is this: If the relay is bad, would the controls still show the draw in power? Meaning, would the lights still dim and the door still make noise when pushing the controls?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:03 AM
capehorn3
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Slam it some more while someone holds the down button on drivers side. Next step is remove door plug behind door pull and place large screw driver under bolt there and bang it while holding down button. The last step is to remove door panel and tap window motor end as you press down. Your relay is working as you are getting current draw, problem is brushes on window motor, seems they don't like the hard stop always in same place on armature and its got carbon build up. Works for me. Also exercise your passenger window often to clean up carbon.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:31 AM
vettemanZ06eb
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem last year i just kept trying the window button as i was driving and after about 3 days it worked again . i now make sure i use that window at least once everytime i drive the car and no problems in a year. I also think the contacts freeze up if not used often.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:50 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

I roll down the windows a lot. I'll give those ideas a try. I haven't had a chance to get out to the car and work on it the last two days because I've been swamped with work.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the time to work on it.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Wolfmanjohn
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the old "remove the pull handle cover" and did the "do-whacka-do" thing on the torx screw, and have had no problem since, thanks to "regular exercise".
Old 11-05-2010, 10:03 PM
vafirevet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...iy-thread.html Post #32
Old 11-06-2010, 04:49 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Well, I drove my car today (been shut in the past few days) and thought I'd try the window one more time before taking it apart tomorrow. It rolled down. I wish it'd just make up it's mind. LOL

So I'm thinking it was likely the motor getting stuck and the car shaking while in motion helped "giggle" it free. If it does this again, however, I'm going to go through the entire system with a fine tooth comb.

Thanks, everyone, for all the help! I really appreciate it.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:57 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Well, I drove my car today (been shut in the past few days) and thought I'd try the window one more time before taking it apart tomorrow. It rolled down. I wish it'd just make up it's mind. LOL

So I'm thinking it was likely the motor getting stuck and the car shaking while in motion helped "giggle" it free. If it does this again, however, I'm going to go through the entire system with a fine tooth comb.

Thanks, everyone, for all the help! I really appreciate it.
Sounds like a sticking relay
Old 11-06-2010, 05:09 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Maybe. If so, it should be an easy fix. C5at57 offered to help and I may take him up on that offer.

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger Side Window... No go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger Side Window... No go.