Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] More Agressive Sound....budget constrained.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Pajak44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Agressive Sound....budget constrained.

I am a new owner of a 2002 Z06.* It is mostly stock with the exception of a VaraRam intake and a Corsa X-Pipe. *The sound is okay, but I want a bark to match its bite.
I plan to eventually add “real” performance mods to increase power, but right now I just want a more aggressive sound.* I’m looking for a nice “grumble” at idle.
I’ve been doing some research on exhaust, and have found numerous brands.* I’m constrained by a budget of around *$500, so pre-owned is fine by me; and by Maryland emissions, so I’ll need to keep the cats.
So far, based on my research, I’ve narrowed it down to SLP Loud Mouth, Corsa Xtreme, and Billy Boat Bullets; however, I am completely open to any other suggestions. *I saw a brand called “Pypes” on the Summit Racing website, and the NXT Step brand on eBay…does anyone know anything about those?
So I guess my question is three-part…
1. What would you recommend the first thing I do to achieve the sound I’m looking for?

2. Those that have installed any of the above systems, what are the pros/cons?

3. Is this something I can do, or will I need a professional? *(I’m no mechanic, but I can turn a wrench and follow instructions)
I would also like to mention that I have never been as happy about owning a car as I am with the Z06. *In fact, I sold a “Magnum PI” Ferrari to buy the Z06, and I have absolutely no regret. *I have to believe that a lot of that has to do with this forum…I’m addicted!* You guys are great, and I look forward to participating for a long time.
Thanks again and have a great day!
Josh
Old 11-01-2010, 01:55 PM
BHRZ06
Burning Brakes

Check out the borla stingers they will make your z have much more bark, A new set of the twin tips is 650 or so plus you can get 350 or so for your ti's Ive been in a few stock z's with these and they are loud for sure.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:25 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

The loudest catbacks are SLP loudmouths, or Magnapack straight pipes. Nest step down is BB Bullets. Very loud, but well loved for their muscle car sound. Next step down would be Borla Stingers. I've had these, and I think the BB Bullets sound better. All of the above will have some resonance at certain RPMs. My personal favorite would be GHL Bullets. Not quite as loud as Stingers, but a sweeter sound, IMO. Lots of catbacks are available used, for sometimes less than half price. If you can be patient, you'll get a great deal eventually. I bought my Stingers a few years ago for $250, (two tip) and they were in great shape. I then bought a Magnaflow (full system, pretty quiet) for $500, also in great condition.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:40 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Make sure you research sound clips or hear someones first! B&B Bullets, Borla Stingers and SLP loud mouths, sound good but are LOUD. Just be sure before you get a set of somethings.

Last edited by fisher auto; 11-01-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:42 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Do a search on Ti-mod bypass and see what you think

The Parts forum may also work on a budget
Old 11-01-2010, 03:45 PM
jamies z06
Racer

lg street headers with corsa x pipe and corsa pace car exhaust mine has a cam and head work sounds bad *** but no drone at cruise but sets off car alarms at full throttle, enjoy your new zo6 i know i do
Old 11-01-2010, 03:49 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jamies2000 c5
lg street headers with corsa x pipe and corsa pace car exhaust mine has a cam and head work sounds bad *** but no drone at cruise but sets off car alarms at full throttle, enjoy your new zo6 i know i do
Remember $500 budget!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM
V2lude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to take a video clip of my Borla straight through exhaust. I'll post it in a bit. The drone is pretty bad though.

Here is the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDkJL0ygItc

Last edited by V2lude; 11-01-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Link added.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Pajak44
Advanced

Can someone describe what drone sounds like? If it's what I think it is, I think I like it...I'm probably wrong though...is it the burble and pop sound?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Bad95killer
Pro

Borla Stinger will make you feeling better

http://vimeo.com/16406955
Old 11-01-2010, 05:50 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Pajak44
Can someone describe what drone sounds like? If it's what I think it is, I think I like it...I'm probably wrong though...is it the burble and pop sound?
No, it's not the burble and pop. That's a sound made while decelerating. The "drone" is while steadily cruising, or mildly accelerating at low revs, and is a vibration type resonance that rattles the rear interior of your car.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it goes mmmmMMMMMMmmmmmmMMMMMMMmmmmmmmMMMMMMMmmm mmmMMMMMMmmmmmMMMMMMMMM, over and over again.

save up and get long tube headers or find some used.

only mod that will really give you more power and better sound.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:42 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

If you do a search for Ti Bypass you may find what you like.

It involves having a welder who knows how to weld titanium add some Ti pipes which bypass some of the gas past the muffler. I got quoted $350 by a shop in Atlanta if I supply the pipes and those can be found through a google search.

It will give the exhaust note much more of an edge while keeping the distinctive sound the Ti has. Keep in mind with any loud catback that once you add headers and maybe cam or forced induction the noise may become unbearable if driven often. A lot of guys end up going back to Ti when the mods add up at which point they sound perfect. They flow almost the same as aftermarket catbacks yet really tamp down the police attention.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Until you add headers non of those cat backs will truly sound good.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:43 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
yup.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 PM
stig-zzz
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Pajak44
Advanced

Is your statement based on experience, or just a guess? Obviously any exhaust will be loudest with maximum flow. However, even without headers, the stock manifold conveys significant flow.

Additionaly, sounding "good" is completely subjective; therefore, your idea of good could be completely different than what I like.

If you could be more descriptive of what "good" is, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Josh

Get notified of new replies

To More Agressive Sound....budget constrained.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Pajak44
Advanced

Originally Posted by V2lude
I'm about to take a video clip of my Borla straight through exhaust. I'll post it in a bit. The drone is pretty bad though.

Here is the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDkJL0ygItc
Thanks for the clip! They sound great! Are they the ones I see for $400+/-? How are you dealing with the drone? Is it keeping you from driving it as much as you'd like?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Pajak44
Is your statement based on experience, or just a guess? Obviously any exhaust will be loudest with maximum flow. However, even without headers, the stock manifold conveys significant flow.

Additionaly, sounding "good" is completely subjective; therefore, your idea of good could be completely different than what I like.

If you could be more descriptive of what "good" is, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Josh

First I had a stock C5Z. I added SLP Loud Mouths, sounded like ****.

Sold the LM's and bought Borla Stingers, which made it sound much better, decent, not amazing.

Then I did Kooks 1 3/4" headers with a catless X pipe. Now I have random people coming up to me at the track and rolling down their windows next to me on the street asking what I have done to my car because it's the best sound they have ever heard.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Badd LS6
Drifting

i have borla straight pipes with Longtubes and catless X..love it!! .,..if your on a tight budget..try out some electric cutouts..loud when you want quiet when you want...can pick em up for $350 or less

Quick Reply: [Z06] More Agressive Sound....budget constrained.