Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Question for european Z06 owners.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 07:52 AM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for european Z06 owners.

You guys have to have some kill stories of some guy in a Porsche, BMW or Ferrari that thought his car was the fastest against your "American garbage" Let's hear some stories, there has to be at least a few :yesnod:

Lastly, is the Vette a well respected car there or do people frown upon it?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 03-18-2002, 01:34 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Re: Question for european Z06 owners. (CRUZMISL)

VERY well respected, and I have not had the pleasure of stomping an exotic yet (in the vette), I destroyed a pu..y in a pick '00 Lambo in my Mercedes Benz E400 though :)
Old 03-20-2002, 04:28 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Well, I have a kill/smoking story for you...
Last summer we were on our way to Munich to meet with the C5 owners for a picnic. There we were (my beautiful wife and I), cruising down Autobahn 9 at a steady clip of 145 mph. When, low and behold, we came across a BMW riding in the left lane (this is a felony in Germany). I popped up the buckets at him, and he didn't move. I continued to be ride close on his tail, and still he didn't move. Then, I committed the second felony. I passed in the right lane. I gave him one of those looks (you know which one), and he still didn't get out of the left lane. Instead, he gunned it and tried to keep up. Soon, we came upon a Porsche 911 (non-turbo). We started racing and the BMW slowly started fading in the range of 160-175. The Porsche tried to race me, by gaining speed in my slip stream. Meanwhile, its the three of us, the Porsche, the vette, and trailing behind, the BMW. We carried on for about 30 minutes racing to Munich. Then my wife said LOOK"Did you see that BMW? I think he just blew a tire. Once I looked in my rear view mirror, I knew that was no blow-out. A fireball was coming out from both front wheel wells with a flume of blackish-gray smoke trailing behind. My wife saw him make it safely to the shoulder. BMW engine let go in a big way/the last time he will race a Vett.

Just the other day, returning from Wuerzburg in my Z06, I was pulling into a BP for fuel. I noticed a new Porsche 911 Turbo pulling out. First thought forget fuel race time!! and WOW this Porsche driver actually wants to race. We hit Autobahn 3 like bad out of hell right on his whale tail not skipping a beat, 3rd gear felt like I could pull on him but the right lane was full. Hit about 98MPH and ran into traffic the Porsche immediately darted to the right lane (probably thinking my brakes where not as good) The vehicles ahead noticed a Corvette and Porsche trailing ant took to the right lane. The race was on, this time reaching about 134MPH again traffic! This time the Porsche driver had confidence about my braking ability and stayed in the left lane. The traffic did not let up (Autobahn 3 has lots of traffic between Wuerzburg and Nurnberg) needing fuel I exited 3 and took off for home. This really sucks I have been on the prowl for a 911 Turbo for about two months now (don't think I can hang with top speed (911 Turbo) but 170MPH not a problim. :flag
Old 03-20-2002, 04:50 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Re: Question for european Z06 owners. (360Lemans)

Hey, Mark, can I come over this weekend to lower my Z06?
Old 03-21-2002, 03:35 AM
californiakid
Instructor

Default Re: Question for european Z06 owners. (CPT Z06)

I have some old kill stories. 2 weeks ago I was coming on the BASF exit in Manheim, I was traveling to work in Heidelberg from Kaiserslautern and an Audi RS4 (twin turbo 380HP) sport wagon pulll onto the autobahn, I am behind him as he enters the autobahn and he nails it, me being the sane Z06 driver I am decide to go after him, I must admit that car can accelerate pretty fast but as we got to the last stretch by the Viernheim Keuzung it was a clear straight shot and I just dropped it another gear and got up behind him, he tried froa few seconds to see if he coudl pull away, but eevry time he tried I just kept accelerating into his rear this was about 155-160MPH, he finally moved over and I just pulled away and left him as a spectacle in my rear view mirror.

Another Kill stor was one night when my wife and I were returning from the K-town PX, just before we got to our exit to go home, a brand new silver Porsche 911S2 was cruising in the slow lane, me being the provocative Z06 driver and getting the support of my wife (Surprisingly) I decided to go past our exit and see if he wanted to play. I looked at him and pointed my finger forward in a waving motion , he took the bait, this new Porsche is pretty fast to, he could not hang with the Z06 on acceleration, he also became small blur in the rear view. I would say that he was able to hit 160 fairly easy but he just started slowing down after, I hit about 175 on that run, I slowed down to another exit and he finally past as we were getting on exit. It was fun to watch him just get smaller in the rear view, I know that he was proud of his brand Porsche before he came across a Z06....

Another time a regular C-5 tried to hang coming form the PX again, I just accelerated and he became a blur in th erear view as well. What needs to be re-iterated here is that the 2001 Z06 was tested on top speed runs against the 911 twin turbo, from 0-160MPH (260KPH) the Z06 was only .2-.3 slower at that terminal speed, so at varied speeds before that the Z06 could out accelerate or stay close to the turbo, it is in my book 50K well spent.

Nick
Old 03-21-2002, 10:02 AM
TrueBlue ChevyDude
Drifting

Location: Brandywine, Chester and Ridley Valleys Pennsylvania

Default Re: Question for european Z06 owners. (californiakid)

Man, I wish it was a felony around here for douchebags to cruise in the left lane... And folks wonder why traffic moves so slowly... Could it be douchebags who attempt to make the right lane exit from 3 lanes over in the left lane??? Thanks for letting me vent...
Old 03-21-2002, 10:15 AM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Default Re: Question for european Z06 owners. (TrueBlue ChevyDude)

Man, I wish it was a felony around here for douchebags to cruise in the left lane... And folks wonder why traffic moves so slowly... Could it be douchebags who attempt to make the right lane exit from 3 lanes over in the left lane??? Thanks for letting me vent...

Nothing is more annoying than some old bastich who can't even see over the steering wheel doing 45 in the left lane :mad :mad

On a lighter note great stories.

Joe
Old 03-22-2002, 04:05 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

I've been thinking about loading up my paint-ball gun just for these traffic situations. At least the perpetrators won't get home with a smirk on their faces anymore...................
Old 03-22-2002, 05:50 PM
figment
Racer

Slightly related:
http://www.getawayinstockholm.com/

:thumbup:
Old 03-22-2002, 06:25 PM
2000^C5
Race Director

Default Re: Question for european Z06 owners. (figment)

Great stories guys!! :cheers:
Old 03-22-2002, 06:27 PM
2000^C5
Race Director

Default Re: Question for european Z06 owners. (2000^C5)

I have a question. I know there is no speed limit on the Autobahn, but what would happen if a police car saw two cars racing at 170MPH? Could they throw you in jail for that like they can here in the US?
Old 03-22-2002, 08:32 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Hi, most of the Autobahn has some speed limit, but if it is not reckless racing than you are good to go. This is CPT Z06 at 360Lemans house. :cheers:
Old 03-24-2002, 07:16 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

2000^C5,
To answer the Polizei question. Just Sunday I was traveling back home and sighted a 911 Turbo on the entry ramp to autobahn 7. We hit the pedal and was dead even. At about 170MPH we passed a Polizei cruising at about 90MPH. The Porsche did not even hesitate, no brake light just kept accelerating. My instinct was to back off a little I was only able to glance back for about two seconds, No blue lights no flashing head lights. I have always passed Polizei at a high rate of speed (no speed restriction areas) and totally legal but never racing. I still don't know the answer to your question but it looks like as long as it's safe it is ok. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Question for european Z06 owners.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Question for european Z06 owners.