Sponsored by:

[Z06] Harland Sharp tells Charlie to " go pound sand"

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:51 PM
AWSM_06
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Harland Sharp tells Charlie to " go pound sand"

As some of you know, I took my car into Charlie @ RPM a couple of weeks ago because the valve train was making a hell of a lot of racket. Well, turns out the needle bearings in almost all the Harland Sharp rockers were completely shot. In fact, some of them had gotten so hot the steel had blued from the excessive heat and friction. The motor was very close to sustaining some serious damage! Needless to say, Charlie fixed the issue and replaced the rocker arms at no charge! I should mention, the Harland Sharp rockers were originally installed when Charlie built the motor. After the repair, Charlie called HS in an effort to receive compensation for his labor and a new set of rockers. Harland Sharp ADMITTED to there being bad batches of rockers manufactured around the time mine were installed. So, you would think , no problem right? NOPE, they told him to "go pound sand" and that they could do nothing because their supplier was unwilling to do anything! So, Charlie has to EAT the cost of his labor and a new set of rockers. Something does not compute here! Come on HS, when you admit to your customer you've got a defective product, you need to step up up to the plate and make good or maybe there won't be so many customers anymore!

Last edited by AWSM_06; 05-06-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Do you know when your rockers were manufactured? I've got a set on my car, too, that were given me free because of problem with my early set of TFS heads I installed about two years ago. Any more info would be appreciated. Dave.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 PM
hastalavista
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AWSM_06
As some of you know, I took my car into Charlie @ RPM a couple of weeks ago because the valve train was making a hell of lot a racket. Well, turns out the needle bearings in almost all the Harland Sharp rockers were completely shot. In fact, some of them had gotten so hot the steel had blued from the excessive heat and friction. The motor was very close to sustaining some serious damage! Needless to say, Charlie fixed the issue and replaced the rocker arms at no charge! I should mention, the Harland Sharp rockers were originally installed when Charlie built the motor. After the repair, Charlie called HS in an effort to receive compensation for his labor and a new set of rockers. Harland Sharp ADMITTED to there being bad batches of rockers manufactured around the time mine were installed. So, you would think , no problem right? NOPE, they told him to "go pound sand" and that they could do nothing because their supplier was unwilling to do anything! So, Charlie has to EAT the cost of his labor and a new set of rockers. Something does not compute here! Come on HS, when you admit to your customer you've got a defective product, you need to step up up to the plate and make good or maybe there won't be so many customers anymore!
Poor charlie...seems its always the low man that has to eat anothers mistake.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:22 PM
StealDads67
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hastalavista
Poor charlie...seems its always the low man that has to eat anothers mistake.

Takes a stand up guy to eat others mistakes
Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 PM
bmg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mods can we start a sticky post that has an alphabetized list of good/bad vendors (followed by stories like this)?
When I go to buy a product I would like to check the list to see who the good vendors are and make sure they get the business.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bmg
Mods can we start a sticky post that has an alphabetized list of good/bad vendors (followed by stories like this)?
When I go to buy a product I would like to check the list to see who the good vendors are and make sure they get the business.
You are too funny....

Go ahead and post something bad about a vendor and it will be nice having known ya!!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:05 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

If this is true, I won't be buying any Harland Sharp products...ever.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 AM
ls1impulse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Old 05-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Mello03
Racer

Originally Posted by bmg
Yeah, I have notice that if you bust a vendors b***s on here then your thread mysteriously disappears. I guess someone has to pay the bills. Too bad they can't be called out.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:37 AM
bmg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mello03
Yeah, I have notice that if you bust a vendors b***s on here then your thread mysteriously disappears. I guess someone has to pay the bills. Too bad they can't be called out.
This makes no sense? If you are a vendor who does not want to be called out, then don't screw people over, do the RIGHT thing and increased sales/profits/referral business will follow.

All vendors need to take a look at Adam's polishes and take notes. This is a company who defines "customer service".
Old 05-06-2009, 08:40 AM
hastalavista
Advanced

Bad companies should be identified.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 AM
TqMnster
Racer

Originally Posted by hastalavista
Bad companies should be identified.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Mello03
When its factual and IAW the rules, I tell it like it is no matter whom it is..........If you have any more issue, suggestions, etc., take to pm/e-mail..........also if you don't like moderation........also a rule.
Steve
Old 05-06-2009, 11:10 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the story.

The rockers in Mike's car were literally destroying themselves. At least six had blown out the end caps and spewed needles into the engine. Several were so far gone that the rocker bodies had turned blue.

I called HS, spoke with Randy and explained the findings. He said "oh, we had problems with those, send them back"

After review of the rockers (which HS rebuilt free of charge) Randy admitted that in the past he had discussions with his supplier regarding these failures and that they, the supplier, refused to respond to his queries. Randy further stated that HS won't shoulder any responsibility because the bearing company won't. He thought the customer should pay even though admitting the fault lay upstream.

I've since researched replacements and am in the process of testing the rockers from CHE. These are the same pieces used on the old Winston East and Winston West series crate LS engines. They use a bushing, not needle bearings, and have thousands of hours of endurance racing under their belt - all with positive results.

As for HS I am writing them off and in the process of contacting each of my customers that may be affected, will inspect each one and replace as required. Too bad that HS can't see the need to be more responsible or accountable than they are.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:37 AM
hastalavista
Advanced

Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Soooooooooo, once again, is there any time line to help determine which rocker arms are grenading? I'd replace them, rather than risk metal parts cascading down the block. Charlie, let the forum know about these new bushing type RRs when they become available, please.

Get notified of new replies

To Harland Sharp tells Charlie to " go pound sand"

Old 05-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
I've since researched replacements and am in the process of testing the rockers from CHE. These are the same pieces used on the old Winston East and Winston West series crate LS engines. They use a bushing, not needle bearings, and have thousands of hours of endurance racing under their belt - all with positive results.
Ah yes.........Claude Holguin.
His upgrade you speak of should work well................It would be my choice if I run into NB trouble. I use these types bushing in my work......... when you spec the right material for the application you get a good outcome

I always liked their motto:
“Quality isn’t expensive, it’s priceless”
Old 05-06-2009, 03:31 PM
lar66BB
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Default rockers

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
Here's the story.

The rockers in Mike's car were literally destroying themselves. At least six had blown out the end caps and spewed needles into the engine. Several were so far gone that the rocker bodies had turned blue.

I called HS, spoke with Randy and explained the findings. He said "oh, we had problems with those, send them back"

After review of the rockers (which HS rebuilt free of charge) Randy admitted that in the past he had discussions with his supplier regarding these failures and that they, the supplier, refused to respond to his queries. Randy further stated that HS won't shoulder any responsibility because the bearing company won't. He thought the customer should pay even though admitting the fault lay upstream.

As for HS I am writing them off and in the process of contacting each of my customers that may be affected, will inspect each one and replace as required. Too bad that HS can't see the need to be more responsible or accountable than they are.

I like the Yella Terras, I have had 3 sets, with no problems at all.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:39 PM
YardDog
Instructor

Yella Terras here. No Problems.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Harland Sharp tells Charlie to " go pound sand"