Sponsored by:

[Z06] Im sick of spinning!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:17 PM
SCBQQSTN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im sick of spinning!

okay last night at the track was the last straw, i need traction.

my 02Z with bolt-ons...

first run 13.5

second run 13.45

last run 13.02

Spinning through first and second...

im tired of these crappy times, guys what is the best set of Drag Radials i can use for my car to hook better? i want a set for street/drag use.

i heard mickey thompson et streets are awesome as well as nitto 555R

advice is more than welcome

Old 01-24-2009, 08:15 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the nittos seem to be popular for both street and strip. problem with a dual purpose tire is that you'll give up something for something else.

if you have the cash the best bet would be to get a second set of rear tires and run a 17" drag radial at the track.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:35 PM
stock z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toyo Ra1 and the nitto 555r2 good choices
Old 01-24-2009, 10:24 PM
itsphoenix
Racer

Originally Posted by SCBQQSTN
okay last night at the track was the last straw, i need traction.

my 02Z with bolt-ons...

first run 13.5

second run 13.45

last run 13.02

Spinning through first and second...

im tired of these crappy times, guys what is the best set of Drag Radials i can use for my car to hook better? i want a set for street/drag use.

i heard mickey thompson et streets are awesome as well as nitto 555R

advice is more than welcome

Same times I got and same issue. Fire Bird Raceway in Phoenix sucks no track prep.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Launch technique is everything - I run 12.5 to 12.6 on Firestone Firehawks with stock drivetrain. Do a short burn out in staging to clean the tires - Try moderating your launch - 3000 RPM and side step the clutch, spin for 10-20 feet and hook up then bury the throttle. If you are spinning through second you are way overdriving the car. Check out the drag racing forum and search launch techniques. Many good threads there - the start means more than HP or tire types. Once you get that correct and consistent - then it is time to go with major sticky tires.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:55 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

You have to learn to launch. I pull high 1.8s to low 1.9s with a stock car on my OEM tires. Here is a video -> Video
Old 01-25-2009, 02:42 AM
madman91
Burning Brakes

some of it could be track prep too. check out ranger, hes got some killer tips
Old 01-25-2009, 08:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
You have to learn to launch. I pull high 1.8s to low 1.9s with a stock car on my OEM tires. Here is a video -> Video

Dont just stomp on the throttle when the light turns green. Learning how launch and roll the throttle to floor

PLUS NEW TIRES. Tires that are over a year old or have too many launches on them just wont stick no matter what you do.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:03 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Launch technique is everything - ... If you are spinning through second you are way overdriving the car. .... search launch techniques. Many good threads there - the start means more than HP or tire types. Once you get that correct and consistent - then it is time to go with major sticky tires.
I recommend going to the FAST LIST and click on ranger. He has a great tutorial. This will be a good start. My launch technique is similar when I was bonestock except my launch RPM was slightly higher (3200-3700) depending on track prep and I would start to apply the throttle just prior to the top of the clutch release. I also did very large burnouts with my F1 SC tires. I have cut as low as a 1.75x 60' with this technique.
Be careful if you get DRs as your launch will need to change. Damage can occur if you dead hook. A good street/stip DR would be the MTs.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 AM
SCBQQSTN
Racer

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
I recommend going to the FAST LIST and click on ranger. He has a great tutorial. This will be a good start. My launch technique is similar when I was bonestock except my launch RPM was slightly higher (3200-3700) depending on track prep and I would start to apply the throttle just prior to the top of the clutch release. I also did very large burnouts with my F1 SC tires. I have cut as low as a 1.75x 60' with this technique.
Be careful if you get DRs as your launch will need to change. Damage can occur if you dead hook. A good street/stip DR would be the MTs.
this is going to sound pathetic and pardon the noob question....but how do you do a burnout on a manual? i read rangers post but was still lost. i had an auto truck that made 400/454 and all i had to do was stomp on the brakes and gas at the same time to do a nice burnout. thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 11:50 AM
overBlown
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this is going to sound pathetic and pardon the noob question....but how do you do a burnout on a manual? i read rangers post but was still lost. i had an auto truck that made 400/454 and all i had to do was stomp on the brakes and gas at the same time to do a nice burnout. thanks
Well with a manual it is the same process only the clutch is involved too. bring the revs up, quickly release the clutch then put that foot on the brake to hold the car while applying more gas to keep the tires spinning. A couple of tries and you should have it. Where ever you practice, make sure there is plenty of room in front of you for the roll out or if you are shy with the brakes at first.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:56 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Good question. It took me a little while to get use to.
1) Car in Competetion Mode
2) Roll carefully through the water.
3) Stop out of the water where the surface is just moist.
4) Place car in 2nd gear.
5) Rev to 4200 rpm and dump the clutch.
Here is where is gets somewhat tricky.
6) Quickly bring revs to 6000 rpm and move left foot to the brake and add only enough pressure to stop forward progress. You may also need to feather in more throttle.
7) After I see smoke billowing from both sides of the car, I release the brake, roar forward, get back into the clutch and bring it to the line.
If the car stalls, backup into th water and pull forward again. Remember to place it in the Comp Mode since it has disengaged. Do not worry if you muff it up. We have all been there, done that. It is more important the that you do not break parts and have fun.
Currently, I use a line lock since using the above technique does put additional stress on the rear. (I had no problems in 181 passes prior to the line lock.)
Good Luck
Old 01-25-2009, 04:14 PM
SCBQQSTN
Racer

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
Good question. It took me a little while to get use to.
1) Car in Competetion Mode
2) Roll carefully through the water.
3) Stop out of the water where the surface is just moist.
4) Place car in 2nd gear.
5) Rev to 4200 rpm and dump the clutch.
Here is where is gets somewhat tricky.
6) Quickly bring revs to 6000 rpm and move left foot to the brake and add only enough pressure to stop forward progress. You may also need to feather in more throttle.
7) After I see smoke billowing from both sides of the car, I release the brake, roar forward, get back into the clutch and bring it to the line.
If the car stalls, backup into th water and pull forward again. Remember to place it in the Comp Mode since it has disengaged. Do not worry if you muff it up. We have all been there, done that. It is more important the that you do not break parts and have fun.
Currently, I use a line lock since using the above technique does put additional stress on the rear. (I had no problems in 181 passes prior to the line lock.)
Good Luck
thanks man, you explained it perfectly. last question, should you only do a burnout when the tires are wet?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

thanks man, you explained it perfectly. last question, should you only do a burnout when the tires are wet?
You need to be in the moist area at a minimum for street tires. I prefer to slowly roll through. When using DRs, you need to have them wet. BTW- I'm using robz's computer to respond.

Get notified of new replies

To Im sick of spinning!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Im sick of spinning!