Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] A day of mourning for the Buick, but a day of rejoice for the Z06...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 07:02 PM
TurboTnZ06
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default A day of mourning for the Buick, a day of rejoice for the Z06...

Twelve hours after the arrival daylight on the reborn motor, the long awaited 3.8L slides into the engine bay of the nosed up Buick. The front suspension creaks, slowly downwards. After months of pondering and speculation, the cool, dry air is filled with rejoice and celebration. The 0.035 over, Wiesco slugged, billet 210/210 roller cammed, billet main capped, high volume front covered, head ported, balanced 3.8 liter V6 is mated to the 2004R, built with ArtCarr internals. The tranny's billet servo shines on, below the massive dual stainless steel 3 inch ATR exhaust's dump pipe.

The following day's duties include reconnecting the electrical system, filling all fluids, and priming the oiling system.

Day three, the engine is primed, the cam sensor set to the 5 degree window for proper ignition. The fuel line is bled of old fuel and the little V6 fires to life... Holds 2000 rpm, and then lowers to idle. The healthy exhaust is noted as gases are discharged from the polished 3 inch pipes. The only problem is a slight exhaust leak is apparent under the TE44 turbo charger. Nothing a good retorquing can't fix.

Strange, the ATF level is not going down on the dipstick, after filling it with 10.75 quarts of hard shifting Valvoline Type F... The shifter doesn't seem to be able to entice the automatic transmission into gear. Out comes the air ratchet and the tranny pan is off. All connections are good. All the troubleshooting and guessing can't isolate the problem. Bad news is that there is no pressure in the 2004R. Pump failure, nope, that's not it- The torque converter was not properly seated all the way onto the front pump, and bye bye front pump, as the spinning D5 eats away at the pump slowly churning metal splines into metallic powder.

I was saddened. I had the ailing Turbo T flatbedded to a Buick shop, as I gave chase in my GMC Truck. After the problem was diagnosed by the local Buick gurus, I was quite relieved, yet it was painful to hear the truth.

As I was getting close to home, on my way back from the Buick shop, the low-in-the-sky sun came out from behind the gray morning clouds, and I saw a early model C5 on the crest of the road about 100 yards in front of me. I caught up to him at the next red light. Red on black coupe. The driver of the red Corvette seemed a happy gentleman, on this dreadful day.

It was then that I realized, there was a fast, mean as hell, bad, Quicksilver Z06 in my garage. The day is saved!...as I open the garage door and brought the LS6 to life, soon followed by a tractionless, hell spawned, American V8 roar down the road... :D

Moral of the story, if you are having a bad day, go sit in your Corvette and drive it and enjoy it. It bought a smile to my face. The only thing better, would have been to have opened the garage, only to see 3 or 4 fine naked chicks laying on another coat of Zaino on the Z06...

May the good Lord bring us (and our drivetrains) safely intact to all of our 2002 destinations.

[Modified by 3.8TurboWhat?, 5:16 PM 12/31/2001]

[Modified by 3.8TurboWhat?, 5:19 PM 12/31/2001]
Old 12-31-2001, 07:49 PM
Ram Air Tony
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: A day of mourning for the Buick, a day of rejoice for the Z06... (3.8TurboWhat?)

oh so friggin true.....had many a **** poor day and came home and just LOOKED at the car and made me smile.....a drive gives that devilish :reddevil grin and the hunt for prey begins :yesnod:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2001, 08:33 PM
jim482
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Default Re: A day of mourning for the Buick, a day of rejoice for the Z06... (3.8TurboWhat?)

if owning a vette will make you smile that much. I need to get my **tt in gear and buy my first one.... :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 12-31-2001, 09:37 PM
RPO_Z06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: A day of mourning for the Buick, a day of rejoice for the Z06... (jim482)

if owning a vette will make you smile that much. I need to get my **tt in gear and buy my first one.... :yesnod: :yesnod:
Yes you do. :smash:

The moral of the story is so true. :yesnod:
Old 01-01-2002, 09:40 PM
Zapper
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moral of the story, if you are having a bad day, go sit in your Corvette and drive it and enjoy it. It bought a smile to my face. The only thing better, would have been to have opened the garage, only to see 3 or 4 fine naked chicks laying on another coat of Zaino on the Z06...

I never thought about the Zaino trick though !!
Old 01-02-2002, 12:02 AM
TurboTnZ06
Race Director

Default Re: A day of mourning for the Buick, a day of rejoice for the Z06... (Zapper)

I'll be sure to ask Santa Claus next year for, well, maybe just give me two or three attractive young ladies, so that I can educate 'em how to lay down some Zaino shine on the Z06 :blueangel:
Old 01-02-2002, 01:43 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Twelve hours after the arrival daylight on the reborn motor, the long awaited 3.8L slides into the engine bay of the nosed up Buick. The front suspension creaks, slowly downwards. After months of pondering and speculation, the cool, dry air is filled with rejoice and celebration. The 0.035 over, Wiesco slugged, billet 210/210 roller cammed, billet main capped, high volume front covered, head ported, balanced 3.8 liter V6 is mated to the 2004R, built with ArtCarr internals. The tranny's billet servo shines on, below the massive dual stainless steel 3 inch ATR exhaust's dump pipe.

The following day's duties include reconnecting the electrical system, filling all fluids, and priming the oiling system.

Day three, the engine is primed, the cam sensor set to the 5 degree window for proper ignition. The fuel line is bled of old fuel and the little V6 fires to life... Holds 2000 rpm, and then lowers to idle. The healthy exhaust is noted as gases are discharged from the polished 3 inch pipes. The only problem is a slight exhaust leak is apparent under the TE44 turbo charger. Nothing a good retorquing can't fix.

Strange, the ATF level is not going down on the dipstick, after filling it with 10.75 quarts of hard shifting Valvoline Type F... The shifter doesn't seem to be able to entice the automatic transmission into gear. Out comes the air ratchet and the tranny pan is off. All connections are good. All the troubleshooting and guessing can't isolate the problem. Bad news is that there is no pressure in the 2004R. Pump failure, nope, that's not it- The torque converter was not properly seated all the way onto the front pump, and bye bye front pump, as the spinning D5 eats away at the pump slowly churning metal splines into metallic powder.

I was saddened. I had the ailing Turbo T flatbedded to a Buick shop, as I gave chase in my GMC Truck. After the problem was diagnosed by the local Buick gurus, I was quite relieved, yet it was painful to hear the truth.

As I was getting close to home, on my way back from the Buick shop, the low-in-the-sky sun came out from behind the gray morning clouds, and I saw a early model C5 on the crest of the road about 100 yards in front of me. I caught up to him at the next red light. Red on black coupe. The driver of the red Corvette seemed a happy gentleman, on this dreadful day.

It was then that I realized, there was a fast, mean as hell, bad, Quicksilver Z06 in my garage. The day is saved!...as I open the garage door and brought the LS6 to life, soon followed by a tractionless, hell spawned, American V8 roar down the road... :D

May the good Lord bring us (and our drivetrains) safely intact to all of our 2002 destinations.

[Modified by 3.8TurboWhat?, 5:16 PM 12/31/2001]

[Modified by 3.8TurboWhat?, 5:19 PM 12/31/2001]

And may the good Lord bring us 3 or 4 good looking Zaino chicks also.

Old 01-02-2002, 07:11 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: A day of mourning for the Buick, a day of rejoice for the Z06... (rschiltz)

I feel you brutha.

I spent all Christmas holiday getting my GN running, which culminated in lighting the motor off yesterday evening. It ran 20 seconds before I noticed an oil leak on one of my external cooler lines. And then I noticed the oil looked like vanilla milkshake. Looks like I have a bad intake manifold gasket and I am going to have to do a little detective work chasing down hte leak before I can try again.

I spent the next several hours flushing my coolers, lines, etc... And pumping oil into that brand new TA63e to keep the water from trashing all those nice new parts.

But, like you said, at least I can walk to the other side of the shop and jump into the '02 Z which does run at this point (like a raped ape). That makes it a little better. Not much, but a little.
Old 01-03-2002, 12:42 AM
TurboTnZ06
Race Director

Default Re: A day of mourning for the Buick, a day of rejoice for the Z06... (J-Rod)

Water in the oil-that's not good. Did you get the radiator recored and leak tested? I've never seen an intake manifold gasket quite like these before- it's a big sheet metal looking thing...crazy stuff...

What do you think about a "My other car is a T-Type" bumper sticker for the Z06- Nah, I'm just kiddin wit ya. What else have you done with the GN motor? Well, good luck with the new intake gasket on the GN.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:29 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The motor has been apart for 3 years. The Mods for this go round...

It has ported GN1s
Loveridge girdle
All Billet Caps
BGC Intake
TA63e turbo with fast spool housing
ARP Fastners throughout
PolyDyn'd everything in the motor
ATR S/S Header
Terry Houston Downpipe
Accufab 70MM TB
ATR 309G Hydraulic Roller Cam
JE Pistons
CAS V2 Front Mount Intercooler
CAS Radiator
Oil Filter Relocation
Lots of Customs Plumbing
Precision 4000 Stall

I didn't use the stock metal intake gasket. Because of the Champion heads I am using a Fel-Pro 1200 Gasket. I have eliminted the factory oil cooler and run an external cooler now. So, my guess is that it is leaking on the intake to head sealing surface. I got about 20 seconds of runtime before I made a milkshake, so I am in the process of tracing down the leak now. I hope to have it running soon.

As for the bumper sticker, hmmm. Couldn't be any worse than what we did to my boss for Bosses day. We put a license plate frame on his 99 Coupe that said "My Other Ride is a **** Star"

[Modified by J-Rod, 12:31 PM 1/3/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To A day of mourning for the Buick, but a day of rejoice for the Z06...

Quick Reply: [Z06] A day of mourning for the Buick, but a day of rejoice for the Z06...