C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling, ABS, Traction System

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:03 PM
tlfdocz06
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Active Handling, ABS, Traction System

This seems to be a relatively common problem: the 3 messages Service ABS, Service Active Handling, and Service Traction Sys are coming up continuously (previously only intermittently, and they disappeared after I restarted the car). About the same time my passenger window stopped working. I replaced the battery (at the dealer) when all this started due to a weak battery, and I asked the dealer to check it out. They want to charge me about $3600 for the electrical repair, and about $600+ for the passenger window, which they say is unrelated. I've had no problems driving the car, but the persistent messages are annoying to say the least, and they prevent using the odometer.

My car is a 2001 Z06 with 30K miles that has otherwise been great. I don't have the experience (or time) to do any repairs myself, although I would be interested in learning more about how. At this point I'm looking for a recommendation on how to proceed. Can anyone recommend a corvette service technician in the Atlanta area (Alpharetta) who could help unravel this issue?
tlfdocz06 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 10-08-2007, 11:28 PM
vettekiddave
Intermediate

Try this first: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1739514
Old 10-09-2007, 01:58 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Dealer is kidding ... right ???

Let's take your issues one at a time ....

Originally Posted by tlfdocz06
This seems to be a relatively common problem: the 3 messages Service ABS, Service Active Handling, and Service Traction Sys are coming up continuously (previously only intermittently, and they disappeared after I restarted the car).
The fact the problem "disappeared" every time you started the car is because the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) resets at every ignition cycle. The EBCM controls AH/TC/ABS and will have recorded Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) telling us what the problem is. To display the codes, follow these instructions ....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=26&TopicID=1

Write down the codes (easiest done in Manual Mode) and then post them here. Someone will interpret the codes for you. Be sure to post the ENTIRE code ... such as C1214H.

About the same time my passenger window stopped working. I replaced the battery (at the dealer) when all this started due to a weak battery, and I asked the dealer to check it out.
Follow the link in the previous post by vettekiddave to understand the electrical issues with the door wiring harness.

They want to charge me about $3600 for the electrical repair, and about $600+ for the passenger window, which they say is unrelated.
The stealership certainly has a sense of humor ... I'm ... $3,600.00 for the EBCM issues ... that's pretty funny .... did they tell you what they would do for that price ????

Hopefully for that price they will fix car ... and include season tickets to Atlanta Motor Speedway, and throw in a dinner for 6 in your favorite Atlanta restaurant ????

I've had no problems driving the car, but the persistent messages are annoying to say the least, and they prevent using the odometer.
Uhhh ... when a message displays on the DIC, and you want to return to "normal" DIC functionality ... press the DIC button marked RESET until you have cleared the message(s).

My car is a 2001 Z06 with 30K miles that has otherwise been great. I don't have the experience (or time) to do any repairs myself, although I would be interested in learning more about how. At this point I'm looking for a recommendation on how to proceed. Can anyone recommend a corvette service technician in the Atlanta area (Alpharetta) who could help unravel this issue?
Can't help with a recommendation other than this ... be VERY wary of that stealership .....
Old 10-09-2007, 10:47 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Before you do anything else check the grounds for the EBCM. On the front left frame rail behind the headlight motor are a couple of ground terminals mounted on the frame. Make sure they are clean and tight. My car did the same thing. Before anything else, I checked and tightened the connections. The problem has gone away. Vettes are notorious for electrical problems relating to poor grounds due to having a plastic body. For any electrical problem, it is always a good idea to check the grounds first. It may not always be the problem, but it's a good idea before you start replacing parts. BTW, I did have the C1214 code, which is for the problem with the ECBM. Fixing the ground cured it.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:50 AM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

wheel sensor going/went bad.

what codes is it throwing?
Old 10-09-2007, 03:44 PM
BudsZ06
Advanced

Had something simular happen to me after dealer replaced oil pan. Problem turned out to be a bad ground. Dealer did not say which ground are where it was located.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 PM
tlfdocz06
6th Gear

Default thanks for the help

Thanks for the advice. Haven't had a chance to follow up on any of this yet, but will check it out later this week.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:45 AM
LuS1fer
Pro

My 02 with less than 6000 miles on it had this precise "problem". All the lights came on, it said to service all 3 things and the passenger door controls, electric window all went dead. Restarting the car made it all go away.

I gave the battery a good charge using an Accuguard and the problem never recurred. I found that the Accuguard always kept the battery topped up although I haven't had to use the Accuguard on the 2005 Mustang so maybe the plastic vette is more sensitive to low battery.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:23 PM
tlfdocz06
6th Gear

Default diagnostic codes

Here are the codes that came up on my car:

C1214 HC
U1160 H
U1064 H

If someone has worked through this issue with these codes, I'd appreciate hearing about it, thanks.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:24 PM
gillarockus
Racer

take it to corvettes of atlanta on 285
Old 10-21-2007, 11:41 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tlfdocz06
Here are the codes that came up on my car:

C1214 HC
U1160 H
U1064 H

If someone has worked through this issue with these codes, I'd appreciate hearing about it, thanks.
The two Uxxxx codes can be deleted and ignored. They indicate communicaition problems between computers in the car. They are common and evven the service manual has no diagnostic for them if there is no underlying problem for them.

The C1214 is a common problem with the Corvette brake system (gee, why did I choose that number as an example in the above post ??) and requires the following to fix it .....

1) Go to stealership and pay about $1,500.00 (or more) to replace the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module).

2) Remove EBCM and send it to ....

http://www.absfixer.com

where they will fix it and send it back to you for under $200.00 ..... In the meantime you can still drive the car (sans ABS, TC and other electronic brake functions) just remember that you only have a "standard" hydraulic brake system with the EBCM removed.

No bleeding brakes ... nothing difficult, renove the EBCM ... shp out ... and re-instell when it comes back ... as the French would say

Pars de Gateau ....

Piece of Cake ....

Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Conflicted
Advanced

C1214, that’s the code I was throwing when my EBCM went out. Mine started out the same way as yours, I would get it on occasion but it would go away when I cleared the code or restarted the car. Eventually it came on and never went away.

Check your grounds and unplug/replug the wire connections to the EBCM. If that doesn’t do the trick, replace your EBCM. I chose to save a couple hundred dollars and sent mine out to be rebuilt. I got it back very quickly, reinstalled and haven’t had an issue since (over a year ago now).

Do a search on C1214 or EBCM and you’ll find a bunch of information. I don’t remember the name of the outfit that rebuilt my EBCM, but I found the information on here.

Don’t take it to the dealer for them to fix, do it yourself because it’s a piece of cake (and cheaper). Good luck.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:14 PM
cmn130
Instructor

i have been having a common problem

When ever i go through the gears 1 out of 3 times all the lights will come on including service abs tracion control ect. when i restart the car they are gone. but everything still works on my car including windows ect. just annoying lights.

any ideas what to tell the stealership because i know my car has warranty but they are gona go.. um well if there not on right now everything looks fine.... when in reallity we all know somethings up. anyone have an idea of where to dirrect them>?

thanks
Old 10-25-2007, 12:58 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cmn130
i have been having a common problem

When ever i go through the gears 1 out of 3 times all the lights will come on including service abs tracion control ect. when i restart the car they are gone. but everything still works on my car including windows ect. just annoying lights.

any ideas what to tell the stealership because i know my car has warranty but they are gona go.. um well if there not on right now everything looks fine.... when in reallity we all know somethings up. anyone have an idea of where to dirrect them>?

thanks
Read my post #3 above. Tells you how to display the codes. The codes tell the dealership (and you) what has happened. Even if the warning lights are off, the codes will still be in the computer. The codes will be flagged as HISTORY codes. A CURRENT problem code (say a C1234) will look like C1234C, while a code for an intermittent problem will look like C1234H (assuming it is not happening now).

This is done to help the service techs locate intermittent problems.

If you have to tell the dealership this ... find a better service department. While there are some intermittent problems that are hard to track down, most that light warning lamps will leave a trail of DTC data.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Roncc1
6th Gear

Where is this dreaded EBCM located?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:10 PM
BrentC5Z
Pro

In front of the Power steering pump. It's mounted to that big aluminum block with all the brake lines routed to it.

Name:  IMG_1401.jpg
Views: 10101
Size:  130.7 KB

Last edited by BrentC5Z; 10-19-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Photo
Old 10-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Roncc1
6th Gear

As always, Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling, ABS, Traction System

Old 10-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Roncc1
6th Gear

Default What happens if ...

Not being mechanically inclined nor wealthy enough to afford dealer prices, what happens if one just removes the EBCM module?. I know you lose ABS capabilities, which to me is not a big deal, but does that stupid warning message and Icon stay on indefinitely?

For my driving habits and patterns, this might work, or at worst, let me sell the car without taking a hit in the price of my good looking convertible.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:11 PM
HUSKER-Z
Pro

from what I'm told nothing will change if you just pull it out. absfixer.com is where I am being directed with the same problem. my problem is....taking the blasted bugger out.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Warren GTS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can still drive it without the EBCM module, just remember and drive accordingly as you don't have ABS/AH. About a year ago, I had the C1214 code, but since it was my only car to get to work, I covered/seal it with clear plastic and duct tape until I got my repaired EBCM back. I got it fixed from http://www.absfixer.com.

Instructions how to remove on their website http://www.absfixer.com/how_do_i_rem...DelphiCorvette

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling, ABS, Traction System