[Z06] Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 08:27 PM
Johnno
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions

Hi folks!

I Just wanted to share some thoughts/impression on the set of mods I just completed on my 4 day old Z06. (I've already logged 500 miles on it! I LOVE THIS CAR!!! Almost better than sex! :lol:

Over the past two days I've installed a number of things. Here's a list with my comments:

Vortex Rammer (clear) - A bit pricey, and takes a little while to install - especially that part that has you cutting the radiator shroud with an xacto knife. I'm satisfied with it though - while the performance gains on a 2002 Z06 won't be as large as the restrictive intake on a '01 Z06, it's still there. Doesn't look too bad either. LOTS of cold air for the intake! This is a good thing. (I don't take the vette out in the rain, so any dangers from hydrolock don't worry me - not that the Vortex is prone to that) The air filter's rubber coupler is quite a bit larger than the MAF assembly tube if goes over. Not a big problem though as the steel crimp band snugs it up - just though it odd that it was so much larger.

Z06 High Flow Air Duct w/ red coupler - much better than the stock air bridge, Z06 emblem looks great!

B&M Ripper Sport Shifter: AWESOME! VERY, VERY crisp shifts - nice short throw. MY favorite mod so far. Not for whimps though - ya gotta be a man to shift it.

Xtreme Motorsports 6spd Shift **** (Polished Aluminum) - Very nice polished shift **** - great feel/look. Nice heft to it also. Screws WAY down on the ripper, so it has a very low/mean profile. Blue threadlock keeps it in place - solid!

Hardtop Partition w/ Z06 Logo - The most expensive mod I've purchased so far. Yes, it is a bit overpriced (bought it for around $350)... BUT, I am really happy with it. VERY professional appearance and quality. GREAT for reducing road noise in the cabin on long trips. Also REALLY helps improve the stereo's sound by reflecting the rear speaker's output forward instead of letting them get lost in the trunk. This is a MUST have accessory if you are going on a long trip or want to listen to the stereo. It's also very easy to take out for the times you want to listen to the Z06's other stereo... I.E. the exhaust note. :jester

Steering Wheel Decal - simple, easy to apply, looks great!

Air Bag Decal (red corvette letters) - ditto, very nice!

Performance Hood Seal - a simple and inexpensive mod. Must have.

Jacking Puck - Gotta get at least one of these - keeps a floor jack from damaging the underside of your vette. A must have if you have a floor jack and need to get under your beast.

Zaino - Must have, period. Even smells good going on!

Foam air intake filter - Complete waste. Forget it. Cheap foam, supposed to hold in place via the hood pressing down on it. Supposed to filter air coming into the air conditioner intake vent (at base of windshield). Laughable. Save your $.

Door sill flag decals - Nice.

Waterfall C5 crossed flags emblem - Very nice, GM should do this as stock.

Aluminum gas pedal - Ditto, get rid of that plastic pedal! A pain to install though due to the tight space - a small mirror is a must to see what you are doing behind the pedal.

Static Cling Door handle Guards (black) - Ok, but I threw mine away. They wouldn't stay flat and kept bubbling up. Someone needs to make an adhesive version of these out of some quality black vinyl material. I'd buy them.

Sill Ease covers (Black with white corvette letters) - Nice. Easy to remove. Inside lip is held in place via velcro to the interior carpet. Must have.

Chrome polished rolled lip Z06 Exhaust Plate - VERY nice appearance mod. Make the back end look sweet.

Z06 Throttle Body Plate - Nice engine appearance mod. Covers ugly blank on top of throttle body.

Fuel Bib - Cheap, simple, effective.

Black Acrylic Corvette letters (Back and Front) - Some folks paint their letters, I chose to spend hours applying the little cut-out black letters. I now know how to spell CORVETTE. :jester Takes a while to apply, but very nice appearance mod and well worth the effort.

Other mods that I have currently inbound:
Llyod's Z06 Floormats
Rear Center Compartment Cover w/ hinged door
Replacement European Headlights (H4- w/ 90/130w bulbs & heavy duty wiring harness)

Ok, I've gotta go drive my Z06 now... It's been well over an hour and I need another fix! :jester

CHEERS! :cheers:
--Johnno
Old 09-30-2001, 09:48 PM
ArizonaZ06
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 317 Posts

Default Re: Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions (Johnno)

Could I make a suggestion?

Put some chromies on that bad boy. :cool:

Enjoyed your post.

Old 09-30-2001, 10:18 PM
Ten sec7
Instructor

Thanks Johno

Glad to see there is someone who does not hate their partition in their 2002
Z06 .
Would it be too much to ask ,If you could take a pic and email it to me, of the partition installed .I am the manufacturer of this and have had some complaints of color ,I need some other pics from other owners of 2002s
Vettermans is not enough.He only has one he is posting and it looks like poopie . Thanks

Andy Mages
ZO6 PARTS INC.
DALLAS Tx
andym@airmail.net
214-228-8782 :cheers:
Old 09-30-2001, 11:42 PM
Johnno
Pro

Default Re: Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions (Ten sec7)

Hi Andy,

Here are a couple pics:

Front:

Rear:

You'll notice that the rear carpet match is not 100%. The partition is a darker black - while the car's carpet seems to have more gray in the black. The different shade of black doesn't really bother me though as I usually don't spend much time riding around inside the trunk. :jester
I could see how it would depress someone who is interested in "showing" the car though.

Hope the pics help!

Cheers! :cheers:
--Johnno
Old 09-30-2001, 11:55 PM
Ten sec7
Instructor

You rock man thanks a bunch .I have not met anyone either that rides in the trunk,Much less shows off their trunk.If I wanted to show my trunk off I would drop my pants. :lol:

We are still working on exact color for 2002 though guys ,

I am glad someone out there likes the partition in their 2002.

BTW - The center cover from a 99 ht does match the 2002 better than ours ,But will cost you a but load more from the dealer.In fact you can get a loyd mat for a convertible and put in the rear of your ZO6 and a cover that nate sells if you wanna show off your trunk.

Thanks again
Andy
Old 10-01-2001, 01:15 AM
Johnno
Pro

Default Re: Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions (ArizonaZ06)

Hi ArizonaZ06,

I do plan to slap some chromies on! But first I need to recover from the expense of the initial purchase and all the mods I've put into it so far. Plus I am too busy enjoying driving it right now to suffer the down time. Winter creeps up fast in these parts (Minneapolis), so I only have another 6-8 weeks before she gets garaged for the winter. :sad: I'll most likely invest in some chromies as a Xmas gift to myself while the beast is in the garage over the winter. I really like the look (shape) of the stock Z06 rims, so I'll probably exchange them for a chrome set. Any suggestions as to vendors who offer quality Z06 chromed rims? Quite a few seem to offer exchanges for "reproduction" rims. What's the diff between getting stock "GM" rims chromed vs. exchanging them for chromed repro's? (Any quality or weight issues?) Exchanged rims seem to run approx $600-750 and outright purchase $1350-1500. I'm leaning towards West Coast Corvette as they offer a 3 yr warranty on the Chrome and lifetime warranty on the wheel structure. Advice? Comments?

--Johnno

Old 10-01-2001, 07:33 AM
DownEaster
Advanced

Johnno,
Sure would like to see a pic of the waterfall crossed flag emblem, please post at your convenience, I have accomplished many of the same mods you list and am pleased with all of them, dont have the partition or rear compartment lid cover yet, waiting on Nate to resolve the carpet color issue, TIA
Old 10-01-2001, 09:28 AM
Son93SL2
Team Owner

Nice review. :cool: :yesnod:
Old 10-02-2001, 04:05 AM
Zapper
Drifting

You sound like you have been bitten by the dreaded Z06 mod-i-tis.

You are finished. You will never be the same again. :eek:

You had better join the ten step program.

Oops, you are already beyond help !
Old 10-02-2001, 12:02 PM
VetteLuv
Melting Slicks

You have been busy for the four days of ownership!

All those mods and 500 miles--do you ever sleep?

Great to see you're enjoying everything about the car, your selections and work. Thanks for the reviews on the various mods.

Enjoy every mile! Enjoy every smile! Waaaaaaaaaave! :chevy :flag
Old 10-02-2001, 12:09 PM
NoMercy
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions (VetteLuv)

CONGRATS!!!! :D:D:D

Old 10-02-2001, 10:23 PM
z-u-later
Drifting

Default Re: Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions (NoMercy)

http://www.vettewheel.com
Mike Sweeney is very professional, sent me myOEM chromies in 4 days w/ exchange program.
P.S. thanx for sharing your mod list
:cool:
By the way mine too just keeps growing
Old 10-03-2001, 12:48 AM
Johnno
Pro

Default Re: Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions (z-u-later)

Hi again folks!

Heheheh. Yep, I've got the mod bug. To be honest though, it's all the forum's fault... not mine!!! :lol: ;)

I spent the past 3 months waiting on my car (thinking it would be a 6+ months wait) and reading the forum. I knew I WOULD get a Z06, so I started ordering mods a while back based on all the great posts you all have made here in the forum. When I finally did get my Z06, I had a massive pile of mods in boxes sitting in the garage already. :D

Here are a few other mods that I have also put on - just forgot to mention them earlier:

CAGS eliminator (How could I have missed this one! :crazy: )

Passport 8500 (A very essential "mod"!) :jester

G-Tech Pro (Haven't used it yet - but plan to play with it a bit this weekend on a nice, quiet rural road somewhere...)

Thanks for the tip on Mike Sweeney as a good source for Chromies. I'll look him up after I garage the beast for the winter. (A month or so away :sad: )

Oh, and I do sleep sometimes... but of course I dream about driving the Z06. :lol:

--Johnno
Old 10-03-2001, 01:39 AM
ArizonaZ06
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 317 Posts

Hey Johnno,

The chromies absolutely make the Z06. The wheel is beautiful in chrome and only ok in grey. The red caliphers light up with chrome.

Got my 2001 OEM's forged Z06 wheels from Corvette Mikes. Check them out at http://www.corvettemikes.com

I would suggest using them and stay away from repo's. Corvette Mikes quality is excellent.

You might want to ask them for 2001 vs 2002 OEM's Z06 wheels. The 01's are Forged, with the 02 being cast. Forged is better.

I had mine shipped right to my tire shop. Drove in with grey Z06 wheels and drove out 1 hour later with Chrome. NO DOWM TIME. Sweet. You put up a core charge and they reinburse you once they get your originals back. They were great to work with.

Keep havin fun with your Z06 and during the winter keep the droll marks off your ZEEEEE. :seeya :yesnod: :seeya
Old 10-03-2001, 11:03 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Default Re: Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions (ArizonaZ06)

The site is http://www.corvettemike.com
And here is a sample of what they look like.

:D
Old 10-04-2001, 10:53 PM
Johnno
Pro

Default Re: Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions (DownEaster)

Hi DownEaster,

Here's that picture you wanted:

I think the waterfall emblem/logo adds to the interior. (Especially mine which is all black).

--Johnno
Old 10-04-2001, 11:05 PM
Johnno
Pro

Default Re: Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions (BOBSZ06)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the tips on the chromies! I definitely like the look and plan to get a set of Z06 GM OEM exchanged chrome wheels sometime early next year. Winter is creeping up fast here and my Z06 is about to start hibernating. (No sense in getting them now just so that I can be blinded whenever I turn on my garage light! :lol: )

--Johnno

Get notified of new replies

To Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions

Old 10-05-2001, 12:39 AM
Travis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno guys, I kinda like the mean look of the grey ones. Besides how do you put up with the copius brake dust on the chromies?
Old 10-05-2001, 06:51 AM
DownEaster
Advanced

Johnno,
Thanks you, that was exactly what I wanted to see, agree with you that it is a nice touch, I also have the all black interior and will be added the rainfall logo as soon as I can get it, thanks much, enjoy the car.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:23 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions (DownEaster)

Any pics of the car Johnno?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Brand new Z06! - Installed some mods... my impressions