Print Wikipost

[Z06] Clutch Pedal Woes--Fluid Impact

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 've changed mine a couple of times and it is still dark, gonna keep doing it until its clear.

Can you mix DOT 4 with DOT 3 in the clutch system?

Ranger, thanks for all the info
Old 04-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pio
I 've changed mine a couple of times and it is still dark, gonna keep doing it until its clear.

Can you mix DOT 4 with DOT 3 in the clutch system?

Ranger, thanks for all the info
Yes, you Can mix DOT 4 with DOT 3 in the clutch system.

FYI I tried Valvoline Supersyn DOT4 in my 2001 and found that it turned black almost immediately. Believe it reacted badly to some property in the hydraulics. I went back to Prestone DOT3 and it was fine for me.

My suggestion is to stick with a fluid that is clear or a pale color so that you can detect a color change. Super Blue Racing, is good for the brakes but is very dark blue and almost impossible to detect a color change in.

Ranger
Old 04-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Blooty
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ranger
A dealer will make $$ on your non-warranty repair. So you would expect them to advocate the replacement of all the clutch parts including the hydraulics. That is the recourse GM followed to cure the dreaded sticking pedal syndrome. But many of us avoided or cured the issue with regular changing of the fluid.

Draw out the funky fluid with a syringe like this one, available at Walmart and most auto part stores. Picture of Syringe

Ranger
Those lot lizards....Thanks for the great info, Ranger!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ranger
Yes, you Can mix DOT 4 with DOT 3 in the clutch system.

FYI I tried Valvoline Supersyn DOT4 in my 2001 and found that it turned black almost immediately. Believe it reacted badly to some property in the hydraulics. I went back to Prestone DOT3 and it was fine for me.

My suggestion is to stick with a fluid that is clear or a pale color so that you can detect a color change. Super Blue Racing, is good for the brakes but is very dark blue and almost impossible to detect a color change in.

Ranger

This might be why mine is turning black quickly - I'm using Valvoline as well and the clutch feels a little sticky at times, do you think this might be why?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Pio
This might be why mine is turning black quickly - I'm using Valvoline as well and the clutch feels a little sticky at times, do you think this might be why?
Went back and checked the label on the fluid that turned black (really black!) very quickly. The gray can reads "Valvoline SynPower DOT3 and DOT4 Brake Fluid."

Again. Use a clear fluid and change it when it is no longer clear. If you don't deviate from this procedure, your clutch pedal will not stick.

Ranger
Old 04-03-2006, 07:39 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Pio,
Outside of the potential issue with the fluid you are using (I used essentially clear Wilwood EXP 600 Plus brake fluid), it did take me about a half dozen changes before it started staying clean. Now I bleed mine so often that it is always clean.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 04-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Subdriver
Pio,
Outside of the potential issue with the fluid you are using (I used essentially clear Wilwood EXP 600 Plus brake fluid), it did take me about a half dozen changes before it started staying clean. Now I bleed mine so often that it is always clean.
I went to Pep Boys during lunch, got me the Prestone DOT3 that Ranger mentioned and changed it using a turkey baster (my wife will miss it come Thanksgiving) - the clutch felt a lot better. Thanx
Old 04-03-2006, 10:39 PM
FixedRoof
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Only problem with the syringe is that it does NOT get the nasty junk out of the lines. It will help a "lil" bit, but most likely just discolor the new fluid from the old fluid still present in the hydraulic system. This won't be getting the grimey junk out thats down in the system by the slave....... I have seen some GRIMEY clutch fluid.

Proper flushing is a real PITA. The bleeder valve needs to be opened at the slave and force the junk out. That is what I have installed a remote bleeder in my car and a few friends have as well.. It makes flushing the entire system a 5 minute procedure.

steve
Old 04-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FixedRoof
Only problem with the syringe is that it does NOT get the nasty junk out of the lines. It will help a "lil" bit, but most likely just discolor the new fluid from the old fluid still present in the hydraulic system. This won't be getting the grimey junk out thats down in the system by the slave....... I have seen some GRIMEY clutch fluid.

Proper flushing is a real PITA. The bleeder valve needs to be opened at the slave and force the junk out. That is what I have installed a remote bleeder in my car and a few friends have as well.. It makes flushing the entire system a 5 minute procedure.

steve
Remote bleeder is a good thing. Had one on my 2002 Z06; but had gotten so used to the syringe routine, that I never used the bleeder. 350 passes and no pedal issues...with the syringe.

Folks that change the clutch master cylinder/slave ought to install a remote bleeder too. Does make the full flush easier. But is not necessary for keeping the fluid fresh if you follow the syringe routine.

Ranger
Old 04-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Blooty
Drifting

I am happy to report that the blue car is back on the road after the turkey baster treatment.....(too bad it's gonna rain today, though)

Thank you again, Ranger! If I ever get work done on the cylinder I will have a bleeder installed.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Blooty
I am happy to report that the blue car is back on the road after the turkey baster treatment.....(too bad it's gonna rain today, though)

Thank you again, Ranger! If I ever get work done on the cylinder I will have a bleeder installed.
Happy to read that Blooty. Just keep the clutch fluid fresh from now on and that will have been your sole occurrence of pedal woes.

Ranger
Old 04-04-2006, 12:37 PM
jlvink66
Pro

Default Motul 600?

Ranger, I'm curious why you didn't move to a higher temp fluid like the Motul 600 or Wilwood. Seems like this would help? Thanks for your informative posts!

John
Old 04-04-2006, 03:33 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just dropped my 2001 Z off at the dealership to get them to warranty the Slave Cylinder and try to get them to warranty the clutch itself, as it drags when the Slave Cylinder does not release all the way. Worst case, I will have a new Slave Cylinder (they redesigned it in 2002, I believe) and new fluid. I have been changing the resevoir for a while now (every 3k miles, since I bought the car 2 years ago). Doing this gave me peace of mind that I had good fluid, but did not help the hydraulics at all. I have had this issue for a while now. Finally brought it in to have it dealt with because the rear seals on the rear end are leaking pretty steadily...yesterday, I had little drops of rear end grease all over the rear end of my Z! I'll keep you all posted as to whether they replace the clutch under the warranty. I have the GMPP extended warranty that ends this July 5th. Need to get stuff done now!
Old 04-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jlvink66
Ranger, I'm curious why you didn't move to a higher temp fluid like the Motul 600 or Wilwood. Seems like this would help? Thanks for your informative posts!...
I'm running GM Super DOT4 in the C6Z06. It changes color and gets sediment more quickly than I'd expect. So I change it often.

Haven't tried the super race brake fluids.

Ranger
Old 04-04-2006, 06:22 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FixedRoof

steve
Where did you get the remote bleeder set-up? I'd like to get one for my '03 Z.

Thanks,
Steve

p.s. Any pics of the install would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:25 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Where did you get the remote bleeder set-up? I'd like to get one for my '03 Z.

Thanks,
Steve

p.s. Any pics of the install would be greatly appreciated.
I got mine from forum vendor LAPD. Sorry no pics, but not much to show. All it is, is a line that attaches to the bled nipple and runs up into the engine compartment where you can easily reach it. I have mine tie wrapped right by the master cylinder. I also suggest covering the line with a protective sleeve as I've seen at least one forum member have the aeroquip line chaff through his fuel line.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:26 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

I just changed my fluid. It was dark! Thanks for the heads up on the fluid color Ranger.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Pedal Woes--Fluid Impact

Old 04-07-2006, 11:17 AM
DRKCYDE
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VII & IX Veteran

Saving for later, and so I won't lose.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:14 PM
ZO6 Runner
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default heat shields for clutch hydraulics

I have a 01 Z06 and have the sticking pedal problem on road tracks. I have gone through all of this thread and will put in high temp brake fluid and the bleeder valve. Super Blue has a light colored version; the following link is to a vendor of same: http://www.raceshopper.com/ate_brake_fluid.shtml

Has anyone put any type of heat shield between the exhaust system and the clutch hydraulics? If so, where and did you have to make it?
Has anyone used the exhaust/heater wrap to help keep temps away from clutch components? Did it help? Has anyone found stainless lines for the clutch system fluids?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Z06 KOS
Racer

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch Pedal Woes--Fluid Impact